ICW Pics, Chesapeake VA, Low Water due to wind

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kurt.reynolds

Vessel Name
Grace
Vessel Make
1982 Grand Banks Motoryacht
Thought the pics were interesting, if you have ever been thru Great Bridge on ICW, these should look familiar.

Regards,
Kurt

Attachments

• 20180304_173355773_iOS.jpg
    20180304_173355773_iOS.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 151
  • 20180304_174750082_iOS.jpg
    20180304_174750082_iOS.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 159
  • 20180304_174751383_iOS.jpg
    20180304_174751383_iOS.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 158
  • 20180304_175023940_iOS.jpg
    20180304_175023940_iOS.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 157
Greetings,
Mr. kr. Egad! Where did the water go? That appears to be AYB in the top left of the first picture. Had some work done there a while back. Pricey but good quality.

Ha! That's pretty bad. RT Firefly, when we get a northerly wind like this that persists, it will start blowing the water out of the locks all the way down and out to the Albemarle Sound. A guy I work with lives in Knots Island right on the water and I bet he has nothing but a mudflat for miles behind his house. I bet this storm has damn near emptied North Bay :lol:

Greetings,
Mr. kr. Egad! Where did the water go? That appears to be AYB in the top left of the first picture. Had some work done there a while back. Pricey but good quality.

That is AYB in first pic, other pics were taken from Centerville Turnpike Bridge looking east (ICW south)

I am assuming the 3 day strong NW wind pushed the Currituck Sound south and since the locks prevent "filling" the ICW from the north, the ICW was drained also.

Regards,
Kurt

Evidently the Chesapeake was impacted as well, our "home" marina friends in Middle River sent pics of our marina with the floating docks sitting on the bottom along with some of the boats that wintered in the water. Lowest they've ever seen. Get a good NW blow for a few days and yes, it does empty the Bay. Awesome raw power of nature.

Oh yes, the Chesapeake Bay gets impacted. This kind of wind is worse than a hurricane on average as far as flooding goes. The high tides since saturday have hit near the peak marks on the pilings on my floating docks and my old marina has been underwater for the last couple days every high tide. Big reason I moved...it just keeps piling the water up in the southern end of the bay...pretty cool the power of wind!

Here are some pics from the boatyard I use in Chance, Maryland (above Crisfield ). You can see the channel marker pvc pipes in the first pic. Usually the grass is part way under water.

4016.jpg

4020.jpg

4022.jpg

Ted

At least the water will come back when the wind stops. On some of the western lakes it goes away and stays away all season.

I called to be sure I had my boat secured good enough in the 50 mph winds and our dock master said my boat wasn't going anywhere it was firmly planted in the mud . I'm new to fixed docks .

What you don't want to do in a case like this is to have your air conditioner running, even in heat or dehumidify mode if docked. It will suck up mud and probably ruin the pump and possibly the AC unit itself.

We had the NW wind blow 5.4 feet of water out of the Pamlico last week. An all time low since NOAA has been monitoring. EVERY boat in my marina was in the mud. Wind clocked to the North a bit and it all came back almost immediately..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom