ICW North Carolina

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDM

Vessel Name
Ancient Mariner
Vessel Make
Hyatt Voyager
Has anyone tried skipping the Alligator River-Pungo River route and gone through Pamlico Sound West of the outer banks then cutting across to Oriental? Not much in the cruising guides that I can find.

Yep, that's one way to do it. No issues, just follow the charts. I figure about half the trips I've gone around vs the canal.

Our absolutely preferred route when the weather is good (not real windy). Plus you get two really great cruising destinations: Ocracoke and Manteo.

As others have noted Manteo and Ocracoke are great stops when you take that route. Manteo has a free dock right in town and Ocracoke has the low cost NPS dock or a huge harbor to anchor out in.

The route just south of Manteo is tight so you need to pay attention, but the water depth is plenty if you stay within the markers.

Although that route misses the wonderful hospitality of Elizabeth City and the ambiance of the Dismal Swamp canal, you also miss the boring Alligator Pungo Canal.

David

We take the Dismal and ECity and the Outer Banks route, only a few miles further.

Yep, I have done that route a few times. If you do the Manteo/Ocracoke thing pay close attention to the channel markers. This is one area that can be affected by tides. No real problem, but watch for side setting currents at the intersection with the channel behind Oregon Inlet.

As others have noted Manteo and Ocracoke are great stops when you take that route. Manteo has a free dock right in town and Ocracoke has the low cost NPS dock or a huge harbor to anchor out in.

The route just south of Manteo is tight so you need to pay attention, but the water depth is plenty if you stay within the markers.

Although that route misses the wonderful hospitality of Elizabeth City and the ambiance of the Dismal Swamp canal, you also miss the boring Alligator Pungo Canal.

David

There's nothing preventing someone from hanging a westward turn to Elizabeth City and/or the even more delightful Edenton, thence to the Dismal. The whole northeastern part of NC has some of the funnest cruising destinations on the east coast. That's why when we stopped cruising full time, we landed here. Lots of great places to take the boat year around within hours or a couple days of Morehead City.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom