ICW New Orleans to Galveston

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reissue

Veteran Member
Anyone cruised this area? We bought our boat and we have to bring her home to Houston. Any help would be appreciated. I have cruised the ICW for years in a fishing boat but.never so far or through such busy areas. We have chartrecorder radar and a little good sense.

Get in the ditch and go. Several good anchorages. couple of cities Houma, Morgan, one lock don't remember any bridges. Very nice trip. Wish I were there.

Last edited:
Did it 2 weeks ago. from Lake Pontchartrain to Galverston there are 5 locks and at least 4 bridges. Buy the Southern edition of the Waterway Guide as it takes you through each area step by step. Invaluable IMO. If I can answer any questions as far as anchorages and marinas (very few) holla at me.

Check out our website www.svescapades.net. We made trip in the other direction back in 2001 and 2004. Going west, once across the Mississippi there is only one other bridge just west of the Calcasieu River. With our sailboat we had to have it raised, don't recall what the height is with it down. Power boat may make it. Check Active Captain, lots of good info.

Bob

Mile 49.8 WHL Bayou Blue Pontoon Bridge - opens on signal 1 long 1 short.
Mile 231.5 WHL Grand Bayou pontoon Bridge CH 13
Mile 238 WHL Black Bayou Pontoon Bridge CH 13
Locks west of Harvey at 93.3, 162.7, 238.5

Where in N.O. is your starting point and when? I live not too far from Houma. A good place to overnight, if you stop there I'll try to drop by. It is not a bad trip at all, lots of traffic but the commercial boat operators are usually helpful. if you are not familiar with the "one whistle" and "two whistle" directions used by the commercials read up on it it will be a big help. Not really whistles anymore but they say it over the radio, channel 13 is usually used west of the Miss. River for vessel to vessel communication.
I'll send a private message to your profile page with my contact information.

Houma is a great overnight spot ($25) and Steve is a great Ambassador for the area!

Yep that was my thought

Get in the ditch and go. Several good anchorages. couple of cities Houma, Morgan, one lock don't remember any bridges. Very nice trip. Wish I were there.

I usually do it that way, just stay between the lines.

Your on the list. We will have one hand on the wheel and the other on the laptop.

Good info dimer2 bridges r not to bad as long as they r 14' clear. Now your on the lis.t

Got it Steve ur on top of the list. I am sure I'll hollar at you as we had planed on the stop

Houma is a great overnight spot ($25) and Steve is a great Ambassador for the area!

What he said. Houma would be my first stop. Steve will help you out if needed(Great Guy). Check active captain for anchorages west of Houma. With the water so high, it'll be hard to find a safe place to tie up in the ditch, until you get to Intercoastal City.

Pretty straight forward trip, plenty of water some great stops along the way. Houma should be one-great public dock. Side trip up lake arthur and the Mermentau River would be another. Great food and wonderful people throughout the route. Channel 13 for most marine traffic english is optional. Morgan City may provide a good ride if the Atchafalya River is running. Safe travels.

P.S. Galveston Bay is known to have some fog issues this time of year hold up in Bolivar if that is the case.

reissue
When will you be going west, I will be going east from Houma on June 4

Galveston is about mile 355 West of Harvey Lock on the west side of the Mississippi River
Harvey lock to New Orleans about 5 miles. ICW mile markers are in Statute miles. Morgan City, LA docks have been refurbished, they look nice. I haven't docked there yet.

Check the route on Active captain/Garmin the NOAA charts setting will show the mile markers, every 5 miles, along the ICW "magenta line" you may have to zoom in a bit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom