ICW Massachusetts to Florida in winter months

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the Great Lakes, they used to remove the black 'cans and spars' before the ice formed. They did not put them back in the water much before the beginning of boating season, May 31st. That was so many years ago....

Archie...true...even the buoys in Stone harbor used to be pulled and caught a lot of unsuspecting late snowbirders/deliveries off guard... then aground....

But, usually if you got a late season or recent chart download...the positions on the chart are still good, even if the marks are gone. Freaks a lot of people out, but with a high tide (and some are too high as they hide the marsh...espescially easterlies which is probably why you are running the NJICW :) )
I'm born and raised South Jersey and I would (and did) skip the drama of the NJICW in winter. Especially S of Beach Haven. Yes it can be done but I would have to be really motivated to attempt that run in something without outboards. Wait for two days blowing W, NW, or N under 20K.

It should be EZ today as cell phones are common and phone numbers are painted on bridges, so the big PIA years ago is over.

In the cold winter months the bridge openers would have almost no traffic , only a commercial with big horns once in a while.

So the bridge VHF would have the squelch cranked way up along with the TV volume.

On one Feb trip south I had to use ch 16VHF to call Coasties to ask if they could call the bridge on a land line for a health check , to see if they were alive.

Solution then was to use the 12Ga starting cannon , instead of the air horn or VHF to contact bridge.

EZ today , a chat & chuck phone is only $20 or so.

Beware the ice , it can remove paint or gel coat.

First no one really measures water temps, but air temps are available on the news or on your own thermometer so that is what I used in the statement.

Eh, the prudent mariner uses a variety of sources, other than "the news", for his weather briefings...... These sources would include, but not be limited to: observations, synopsis, forecasts, wave heights, small craft warnings and yes, water temperature. For example:

Attachments

• IMG_77894FA76703-1.jpg
    IMG_77894FA76703-1.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 26
We just read local water temperature from our DST and FishFinder.

-Chris

I wouldn’t be greatly concerned bringing a closed PH boat down from NE in December. I did a delivery on a Sportfish with an open flybridge in December a few years ago (I froze my butt off) and we have constituently fished the Canyons 100-150 miles offshore for tuna in December and even January. Their will be fuel and dockage available all the way down, you just need to plan your stops. The ICW will make this trip pretty smooth with the worst part being outside of NJ and possibly upper parts of NE depending on where you are coming from. With the weather during that time of year, you just need to be very flexible with your schedule as you may have to have a few lay days while you wait out a system. Just be smart and safe; slow and patient is the way to go.

We left last xmas from mass and went to South Carolina. No problem. Certainly chilly until Virginia. Plenty of fuel and marinas. Just need to map it out. The only trick is timing the weather for the stretch through NJ and Delaware River. If you would like crew PM me. I might enjoy The trip then...

I left from RI on November 3, 2013. Battled bad fuel issues until reaching Atlantic Yacht Basin in Chesapeake, VA on Nov 21. Left Chesapeake, VA on January 20, 2014 headed for Melbourne, FL. Jan 27 was the night the big snow storm hit the SE states, leaving school children in Atlanta stranded on school buses. I remember it because I was at Toler's Cove Marina in Mount Pleasant, SC. Snow and ice everywhere, including icicles on my lifelines. It wasn't a crisis in Charleston because everyone stayed home.

Arrived at Port Royal Landing Marina on Jan 29 to find icy docks and the office closed. Called after hours number and tied to the face dock as suggested. Called again after leaving in the morning, expecting to give my CC number. "We'll catch you on the way back," the owner told me.

Most marinas were open, but didn't have running water. Fuel stops were plentiful. I anchored out frequently. I had a Dickinson "Cozy Cabin" propane heater, a diesel generator, and a couple of small electric heaters.

Arrived in Melbourne on February 5. I considered the trip enjoyable.

I saw skim ice on the ICW in December at AYB, but not during my trip.

Made a delivery once because it absolutely had to be there. That delivery thought me how to say no more often. You can do it it will take you forever but I would not advise it

The ICW is basically only navigable below the Chesapeake unless you have a small vessel, in which case you would be taking even much greater risk.

Not sure what you mean by this statement. The ICW is the waterway BELOW Chesapeake Bay (it starts in Norfolk and south from there). North of the ICW is Chesapeake Bay, Delaware Bay, the Atlantic (or NJ ICW as an alternative for small boats), etc.

IMHO, running from Maine to the ICW in December and January is risky for any boat due to the cold and weather which can be encountered with winter storms. Once you're in the ICW, about any boat can manage it as weather is attenuated for much of the distance and below North Carolina even the temps are decent most days.

So, I am looking at a boat currently located in Massachusetts. I will need to bring her down to Florida after purchase. Logistics and timelines dictate that I wouldn't be able to start down the ICW until end of December or mid January. Has anybody here made that run during the winter months? Is it even doable?

I'm not too concerned about the cold, because I figure I'll mostly drive from the pilothouse. (Although someone with real life experience might be able to correct any misconceptions I have about that idea.)

I'm also not too concerned about bad weather, because we will not have a set schedule. We plan to be conservative and only travel when the weather and waters are settled.

I'm somewhat concerned about availability of fuel along the way during that time of year. However, the boat should have about a 1000nm range. (800 nm to be safe). So I shouldn't need to re-fuel more than once if I start off fully fueled. Are there likely to be at least a few fuel depots open along the ICW at that time?

My main concern is with availability (or lack thereof) of transient dockage along the way. I really want to avoid anchoring out until I'm well south of the Mason-Dixon line. Is it realistic to expect there to be enough open marinas that could accommodate a 60-something footer all the way down the ICW during December, January and February?

A secondary concern is with the availability of marine services like diesel mechanics, haul-out facilities, etc. in the event we have a mishap along the way. Is it reasonable to expect that at least some marine yards will still be operating at that time of year?

Yes, in a perfect world, I would wait until late Spring to start the trek. I know that would be a much more comfortable time to travel. But comfort aside, I'm looking for input as to whether such a trip is even doable.

All input would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

Bob,
In addition to all the great feedback don't forget how much fuel a generator uses. Someone asked if you have one and I'm sure you do. If you do find yourself running the gennie during the day and at night, be sure to account for that.

low water at marker 54 &55

We were coming north just off Loveladies N.J. at marker 54 and 55 and found low water , It was last Sunday

Wait until spring.

Buy a different boat.

Hire a service to deliver it for you.

Take your pick from any or all of the above.

Back
Top Bottom