Old 12-19-2010, 10:11 PM   #1
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Ais

Anybody "out there" have an AIS transmitter, let alone a receiver?* Transmitters often*send incorrect speed, destination information, etc., but do show location and boat/ship identity.* I'm contemplating acquiring a transmitter, letting the tugs, ferries, freighters, and passenger ships know I'm there.*

Looking forward to your input!
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:10 AM   #2

City: Oslo
Vessel Name: Southern Promise MMSI 258170360
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 55 Mk1
Re: Ais

There are*some heavy discussions going on over at Panbo whether Class B AIS can be filtered out by the big guys or not.
r-rossow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:22 AM   #3
Master and Commander

I'm not interested in other websites; I'd rather spend time with you guys.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:52 AM   #4
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Quote:
r-rossow wrote:

There are*some heavy discussions going on over at Panbo whether Class B AIS can be filtered out by the big guys or not.
*I think the answer was 'No".
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:44 AM   #5

Ais

I am a big fan of a receiver, but MHO is that is we all had transmitters it would really clutter things up. If you check out the AIS site you can see some areas with a LOT of traffic and they are all commercial this morning - a Saturday in the summer will quadruple the transmissions. If I were to switch to a transmitting AIS I would make sure I could set it to receive-only when I wanted to.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

Dave

-- Edited by magicbus on Monday 20th of December 2010 07:45:04 AM
magicbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:45 AM   #6
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Ais

AIS is simple, cheap and very useful. Plus it quite nicely overlays on any of the modern charting programs.* I*have a Simrad Class B with its own small panel display and it ties into my Nobeltec and NN3 systems.

The instrument I have least (not) used in the past many decades -* my oil filled compass. I would not make a compass the center of attention on your panel, few do anymore unless they are building a Duck or Seahorse. Today, IMHO, *the most versatile instrumentmay may well be an IPad with GPS and charting (and AIS*??) - who woulda thunk?

-- Edited by sunchaser on Monday 20th of December 2010 07:47:08 AM
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:37 AM   #7

I have an SR161 receiver that feeds AIS targets to my computer and Coastal Explorer. We have used it between Puget Sound and Southeast Alaska. Wouldn't go without having AIS. Love it. Nice to know the name, speed, direction and closest point of approach with all the big boys on the inside passage.

But....not everyone uses AIS (most fishing boats don't and too many Canadian tugs don't) and there is always the inaccurate info being presented (like moored at 16 knots). I don't really think the Class B transponders for recreational vessels are that useful. As others have said the more recreational boats using AIS the more cluttered the screens will be. In daylight with good visibility I can pickout and avoid most everyone. At night or in fog it is nice to see who else is out there.

I'm in no hurry to buy an AIS transmitter for my little boat.
Steppen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:00 AM   #8
Master and Commander

I woke up this morning realizing the transponder is very expensive and the receiver is relatively cheap.* So, I'm dropping the idea of AIS.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:34 AM   #9
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

Some one mentioned the new VHF had DSC, AIS and hailer that makes bell/whistle sound. At the Seattle Boat Show I am going to look and price them as we need a new VHF so may as well get the whole deal.* I also will look at the new Broad Band radar as*a back up for our 30+ mile one.***********
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:22 AM   #10
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)

My Simrad was $850 to purchase plus about $150 for the antenna.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:34 AM   #11

Phil Says:

Some one mentioned the new VHF had DSC, AIS and hailer that makes bell/whistle sound.*
************************************************** ***********************************

All fixed mount VHFs produced since October 1997 have had DSC as a standard feature.* There are a number of models by various manufacturers that include a hailer/fog feature but you will still need to purchase a separate exterior speaker.* The AIS feature is*available from ICOM, Standard Horizon and some other manufacturers but*increases the cost significantly.
Steppen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:38 AM   #12
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

Wooo.* Maybe next year as I already have made out the to to due/want*list and budget for next year.* 4 boat units.* Anyway its on my futrue wish list.* Maybe my wife would like a new VHF for Christmass?*NOT!*
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #13

Standard Horizon has the GX2100 and GX2150 both of which include an AIS receiver. I just purchased the newer GX2150 because it will allow simultaneous display of AIS information while using the fog horn/bells/etc., apparently the 2100 will not allow you to use the fog horn in conjunction with the AIS display.

The asking price at Overtons was $399 for the 2150 and $299 for the 2100. Was able to apply a 15% coupon, found on the internet, and purchased for about $340, including shipping and no sales tax.

I am not associated with either Overtons or Standard Horizon.

Tomas
Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:49 AM   #14
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Ais

Quote:
Tomas wrote:

Standard Horizon has the GX2100 and GX2150 both of which include an AIS receiver. I just purchased the newer GX2150 because it will allow simultaneous display of AIS information while using the fog horn/bells/etc., apparently the 2100 will not allow you to use the fog horn in conjunction with the AIS display.

The asking price at Overtons was $399 for the 2150 and $299 for the 2100. Was able to apply a 15% coupon, found on the internet, and purchased for about $340, including shipping and no sales tax.

Tomas
You can get it from this well respected vendor:

http://www.boemarine.com/

for a little* less with free shipping and no sales tax.

-- Edited by rwidman on Monday 20th of December 2010 01:53:49 PM
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:09 AM   #15

Ron, I couldn't find the 2150 at boemarine.com, they do offer the 2100 model for $340, about $40 higher than available from several other vendors. Tomas
Old 12-21-2010, 06:09 AM   #16
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Quote:
Tomas wrote:

Ron, I couldn't find the 2150 at boemarine.com, they do offer the 2100 model for $340, about $40 higher than available from several other vendors. Tomas
You're right.* I was thinking of the "old" model, not the brand new 2011 one.* I'll bet if you call them they will have it at a good price.

I participate in another forum and BOE is very well thought of on that forum.* And unlike Overtons or the like, the folks at BOE install and use the equipment they sell so they can provide advice.* Shipping is free over a certain amount and I believe they will price match.

I know they have a liberal return policy also.* I bought the wrong transducer for my MFD and they replaced it for me.* I needed a special mount for my GPS antenna and they sent me one at no charge.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:17 PM   #17
Veteran Member

City: San Leon, Texas
Vessel Name: Always On My Mind
Vessel Model: DeFever Downeast 40 - 1979

Quote:
Tomas wrote:

Was able to apply a 15% coupon, found on the internet, and purchased for about $340, including shipping and no sales tax.

Tomas
Where*on the internet* can I find that discount?....I tried Ggling it but couldn't find it.

Thx GX2150B looks to be*the answer for having to puchase yet another piece of equipment.*
Roostor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:48 AM   #18
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat

AIS Reply Quote Edit Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys,
As part of my recent mini refit I purchased and fitted an AIS system.
After a lot of research and internet scanning I originally was going to get a unit from the US as it would be by far the least expensive way to go.
At the recent Sancutary Cove Boat show at the Gold Coast in Qld Aus I came upon a transponder kit (send & receive) from Oceantalk.
Complete kit under a $1000.00 (thats Aus dollars).
Kit included transponder box, VHF ant, GPS ant, cables for connection to computer or plotter and software.
After getting a a couple of brackets made for the ants it was a piece of piss to install and all up I had it running in about an hour or so.
I have it connected to my nav computer that runs Nobeltec VNS .

I have not used it in anger yet but only run it in port where it picks up any yacht, fishing boat running an AIS system.
It also picks up ships passing thru the pilot boarding grounds out to the east of Mooloolaba.

I think this is an excellent system and an absolute bonus for cruising out wide where the big boys go.
Having been at sea all my working life on tankers I know how we don't show up on radar and nobody takes any notice of the small cruiser.
Being able to track a close vessel , have their name and call sign is the absolute bonus.

Benn

This is from AIS discussion about July this year.
have used the system offshore since then and glad to have it as an extension of my Nav equipment
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:01 AM   #19

Roostor

The coupon I used expired 12/13. I checked and found the following offer for 15% off thru 12/31, Try the following:

http://www.befrugal.com/coupons/store/overtons

Don' know what they are currently doing on shipping.

Tomas
Old 12-23-2010, 09:53 PM   #20
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

Quote:
markpierce wrote:

I woke up this morning realizing the transponder is very expensive and the receiver is relatively cheap.* So, I'm dropping the idea of AIS.
For under $200, a black box AIS receiver is a huge bargain.* As you know S.F. bay, and the Delta can get very foggy. An AIS will buy you a lot of piece of mind.....Arctic Traveller

Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote