Old 01-26-2020, 10:32 AM   #1
Guru

City: Southport, Florida
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Send a message via Skype™ to rgano
I want a POWERFUL LED Flashlight

I once had an aluminum case CREE LED flashlight powered by 2 or 3 D-cell batteries with an adjustable beam width. It was so powerful that you could turn your back on it at a distance of several hundred feet and read a newspaper. But I let it go with the boat sale - duh. It was made by Marine Beam, and I see they have modified the light now. Does anybody have one of these newer models or something else as good or better they'd like to recommend?

https://store.marinebeam.com/marineb...or-flashlight/

rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:50 AM   #2
Guru

City: Marinette, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I ordered two supposed ultra bright flashlights off the internet before Christmas. One for me, one for my brother.

That was in November, Hmmm. Should be here soon.

pete

Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:07 AM   #3
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
You are in luck... If there is a "golden age" of flashlights, we are in it. There is a huge subculture of flashlight enthusiasts, of which I am a part-time member of. there are some very powerful lights available in about every price range, but don't expect a $5 special from Wally World or Dick's to get the job done. Do a little research and ask a lot of questions. The market does have some imposters and cheap knock-offs that you should avoid. Stick with the name brands from trusted retailers.

Here are a few resources:
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/flashlight/

YouTube: Matt Smith at Adventure Sport Flashlights: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn6...FUF0YXNbdea7hQ

Forums: Candlepowerforums.com & Budgetlightforums.com

My favorite retailer: illumn.com

As for specific lights. I have completely replaced the old plug-in searchlight with rechargeable flashlights. My primary light is a Lumintop ODL20C. It throws a tight and bright beam 3/4 of a mile or more. It has a beason and SoS flashing mode and recharges in the flashlight via USB. There are a few others for different tasks. I have a very bright headlamp, a small one for working lines and pooping the dog, and a wide flood for random things where a tight beam isn't practical. Additionally, beam adjustable lights like you describe ("zoomies" is the jargon) are looked down upon in the biz. They are massive compromises and usually are poor solutions they are bound for failure... but I digress.

You can really go down a rabbit hole if you want to. Honestly, it is one of the most fun hobbies I have stumbled across. Yes, you can spend hundres of dollars on a single light, but take one outside at night and it will all be worth it. you will command the night!

Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions.

Here is my current collection:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flashlight Family 11_17_2019.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	98689  
Old 01-26-2020, 11:52 AM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Old 01-26-2020, 12:02 PM   #5
Guru

Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Thanks, Tom. The Marine Beam light I had was around a hundred dollars, and I see their newest version is around 129 dollars. It definitely commanded the night. Some I see are several hundred dollars, but I am not inclined to go there.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:12 PM   #6

City: Guntersville, Al
Vessel Name: StarLite
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II - 2003
Rich,
I put the new Marine Beam on my Santa wish list ... some interesting technology discussed on the web site. For years I've carried Mag Lite 3 or 4 cell flash lights - well built and dependable. (and a nonlethal defensive weapon) A year or so ago, a bulb went out and I reluctantly paid $15~ for an LED replacement. Was surprised at the over all improvement with the LED light source. By now, I'm sure they are even better. The D cells seem to last forever. Would recommend it as a viable option.

Last year a friend gave me a small Streamlight Polytac. It's an amazing little flashlight. The only down side is battery life. We have a problem with Coyotes around home. I picked up a rail mount for the Polytac and put it on the 308, next to the scope. It will light up Coyotes 300 yards out. At ~$30 I've put them on Starlite and the airship with a pack of extra batteries.
Olebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 01:49 PM   #7
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
The Marine Beam units are everything they claim them to be.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 01:50 PM   #8
Guru

For the record, Marinebeams are pretty much junk. More advertising hype than substance. There are so many better lights for the same, or less, money that don't drag you down with 2 or 3 heavy D-cell batteries. Battery technology and LED options are leaps and bounds ahead of this... no matter what the manufacturer claims appear to be. I have two lights that, with a single 26650 cell, will out perform the Marinebeam... and for $50 less!
Old 01-26-2020, 01:56 PM   #9
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
How do you know the Marine Beams are "junk"? Which ones have you owned? What exactly was your experience with them? Mine have performed well for going on three years now, with a fair amount of use in (literally) and around salt water. I've touted them to three or four friends who have been very happy with them.

Plus look at the links to reviews in their web page, I suppose all those folks are junk fans too...

https://store.marinebeam.com/marineb...roduct-reviews

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 02:01 PM   #10
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I have a couple from Home Depot, donít remember the brand just now, that will light up the houses across the river from me. They were around $30 or so. They arenít the really expensive brands but I use them instead of a spotlight on the boat.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 02:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Lenoir City, TN / Fort Loudon Marina
Vessel Name: Perfect Match
Vessel Model: Mainship 40 Sedan Bridge
I have 6 of these I like them so well. 1 in each vehicle, 1 on the boat and 1 in the house. Incredible beam, rechargeable, charge holds very well.

https://www.amazon.com/Odear-High-po...0065691&sr=8-3
Old 01-26-2020, 02:17 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
How do you know the Marine Beams are "junk"? Which ones have you owned? What exactly was your experience with them? Mine have performed well for going on three years now, with a fair amount of use in (literally) and around salt water. I've touted them to three or four friends who have been very happy with them.

Plus look at the links to reviews in their web page, I suppose all those folks are junk fans too...

https://store.marinebeam.com/marineb...roduct-reviews

I have never owned a GEO Metro either, but I know they are junk. Look... the technology is old and the claims on the site are overstated. Learn a little more about higher end flashlights and you will understand. A 3D cell alkaline flashlight is a dinosaur. You can have a better, brighter, and less expensive light than the Marinebeam and it will still fit in your pocket. That is all I am saying.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:40 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I have a couple from Home Depot, donít remember the brand just now, that will light up the houses across the river from me. They were around $30 or so. They arenít the really expensive brands but I use them instead of a spotlight on the boat.
I understand what you are saying and I have similar lights which will illuminate objects, somewhat. But I want the 30-06 version rather than the .22 caliber version, if you catch my drift.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:47 PM   #14
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
O-light makes some great flashlights.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 02:51 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olebird View Post
Rich,
I put the new Marine Beam on my Santa wish list ... some interesting technology discussed on the web site. For years I've carried Mag Lite 3 or 4 cell flash lights - well built and dependable. (and a nonlethal defensive weapon) A year or so ago, a bulb went out and I reluctantly paid $15~ for an LED replacement. Was surprised at the over all improvement with the LED light source. By now, I'm sure they are even better. The D cells seem to last forever. Would recommend it as a viable option.

Last year a friend gave me a small Streamlight Polytac. It's an amazing little flashlight. The only down side is battery life. We have a problem with Coyotes around home. I picked up a rail mount for the Polytac and put it on the 308, next to the scope. It will light up Coyotes 300 yards out. At ~$30 I've put them on Starlite and the airship with a pack of extra batteries.
I am lusting after a thermal scope after looking through one on a pig hunt. Soo much better than my starlight scope.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:02 PM   #16
Guru

One of my hang-ups, and believe me, I have more than a large closet full, is that rechargeable devices I have been involved with are either discharged when I want to use them or simply run out of charge during use. I am far happier with carrying extra batteries which can quickly be chucked into the device as needed. Whatever powerful light I get for the boat will not be rechargeable. While this may limit me to choices, dependability after a very long storage is more important than other features.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:13 PM   #17

City: Lake Stevens, WA via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Vessel Model: C-Dory 25
I work as a patrol supervisor, so my equipment is my life. This is what I currently use. It is bright, has multiple brightness settings, is tough and well engineered and can be powered by the lithium ion batteries or CR123s. I can’t afford to buy crap for the street. If you truly want a real flashlight, you’re gonna pay for it. But it will work as advertised and last.

https://www.streamlight.com/en/produ.../protac-hl-5-x

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-P...ag=rgonsite-20
Old 01-26-2020, 03:22 PM   #18

City: Lake Stevens, WA via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Vessel Model: C-Dory 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
A 3D cell alkaline flashlight is a dinosaur.
Agree,100%. The technology has come leaps and bounds. My first patrol flashlight 25 yrs ago was like a birthday candle compared to todayís technology. I can get a flashlight that is literally hundreds of times brighter with more power saving modes/options that is 1/3 the size/weight of that antique and with good rechargeable batteries too.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:24 PM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Alberta
The best product I know
https://youtu.be/W8KAfesu1fA
Dan_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:34 PM   #20
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Marinebeam uses a patented reflector (Waiven RLT) that is not sold by Waiven (now Meadowstar) to anyone else.

The rest of the flashlight components are mediocre at best.

Which is unfortunate, as it could be an absolutely incredible, maybe even dangerous, light with quality components.

So flashlight aficionados are upset that they can't get the marriage of the two.

That said, the Marinebeam is suitable for it's service, and it's intended consumer.

It throws a long light, just not a lot of it. It doesn't light up your deck or pilothouse when you use it a searchlight.

Haven't seen or used the newer version.

Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote