I want a POWERFUL LED Flashlight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I sure like a light that's ON or OFF.... period. No scrolling thru, no blinking, no choice of brightness, no red, etc. Just a simple on and off, which is hard to get.

However the better quality ones include:

Fenix
Surefire
Streamlight

I sure like a light that's ON or OFF.... period. No scrolling thru, no blinking, no choice of brightness, no red, etc. Just a simple on and off, which is hard to get.

However the better quality ones include:

Fenix
Surefire
Streamlight

Add:
Nitecore
Thrunite
Lumintop
Acebeam

When you need a light you need a light, but I still don’t want to kill my or anybody else’s night vision, so on deck we never use any light that doesn’t have a tight and focused beam pattern. Our primary light can put a 6’ spot on an object at 400 yards without illuminating any part of the boat, but a handheld uksl4 is always at the ready next to all doors for most anything else. I’ve used their reflectors and bulbs for many years in custom made backup divelights. I like to eliminate the switch as a primary failure point in their otherwise robust underwater light.

So what is your primary light?
Our primary light can put a 6’ spot on an object at 400 yards without illuminating any part of the boat, but a handheld uksl4 is always at the ready next to all doors for most anything else.

When you need a light you need a light, but I still don’t want to kill my or anybody else’s night vision, so on deck we never use any light that doesn’t have a tight and focused beam pattern. Our primary light can put a 6’ spot on an object at 400 yards without illuminating any part of the boat, but a handheld uksl4 is always at the ready next to all doors for most anything else. I’ve used their reflectors and bulbs for many years in custom made backup divelights. I like to eliminate the switch as a primary failure point in their otherwise robust underwater light.

Not to take away from this post because those are pretty good numbers... BUT... The Acebeam W30 (which is actually out of production while they update it) can put a 10' dot on a target that is 2.5 KILOMETERS away... AND does it with a single battery. It's a bit pricey though.

WHITE LASER TORCH|AceBeam®-Official Site

So e of you know that a past business of mine dealt with elite military folks of various branches. My experience has been that Surefire is the best product available for various reasons but are difficult to deal with on a personal level. Their experimental labs are second to none.

BTW those that use 123 batteries please buy only US made batteries as many fires have been started from those from China.

i have a Garberiel FG1161. It just showed up in my door over the holidays with no paperwork to say where it came from. It came with a rechargeable battery and its the brightest light i ever saw. I have no idea how long it will last but they're on Amazon and ebay for less than $20.
John

Garberiel claims 5000 mAh for their 18650 battery. [emoji1] And you get 2 plus a flashlight and charger for $15...

Uh-huh.

The good thing about modern LED flashlights is that even the bad ones are a step change over krypton Maglites, just like Maglites were a step change over the old green plastic 6v Ray-O-Vac incandescent.
i have a Garberiel FG1161. It just showed up in my door over the holidays with no paperwork to say where it came from. It came with a rechargeable battery and its the brightest light i ever saw. I have no idea how long it will last but they're on Amazon and ebay for less than $20.
John

The Dewalt looks useful, but if battery powered is of interest then this seems awesome (when available) - Milwaukee 18V remote control search light (youtube)!

For a relatively inexpensive light that can shine a mile, check out the Noctigon K1 from Emisar: Noctigon K1 info / review | BudgetLightForum.com. Its less than $100 and uses a single 21700 battery (like Tesla) and has a built in charger.

I also like the Sofirn SP36 as a flood light that is great for lighting up the whole area. It uses 3 18650 batteries. It also has a built in charger.

The headlights we use on the boat are Nitecore HC65 that have both white and red light, as well as a high CRI led for when you need accurate colors. This lite uses 18650 batteries and has a built in charger.

Enjoy going down the rathole of modern LED lights. You can spend way too much time and money if you are not careful. Once I found the ones I liked, I stopped looking before I got in too much trouble.

Any opinions on what head lamps (as in the kind you wear on your head, not in the front of your car) are the best? I find them very useful when working on the boat or other things.

Peter, this is my new headlamp, best so far. USB re-chargeable, change the aim of the light, VERY BRIGHT, very light weight, will also go across forehead, under hat so things right in front are lit up. It's comfortable and also fits over a helmet. Also has a red light. I use it working and skiing. It's the best I've used from owning several over the years.

BioLite

I think it came from REI.

Attachments

• 20200129_083047.jpg
    20200129_083047.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 42
LED Maglite replacement bulbs

We just bought LED replacement bulbs for our two 3-D Maglite flashlights and are really happy with the result.

-Sven

Gear light

Best flash light ever. Same as the expensive TacLight. I just ordered another pair From Amazon . Keep loosing or giving them to friends

Attachments

• B5E35301-3F30-428F-AC82-1ECB04A73FCD.jpg
    B5E35301-3F30-428F-AC82-1ECB04A73FCD.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 79
I use Bicycle lights from Cygo as a powerful compact light- they’re around $80, water & vibration proof, and charge via USB - and they go along way on a charge too!

Any opinions on what head lamps (as in the kind you wear on your head, not in the front of your car) are the best? I find them very useful when working on the boat or other things.

Surefire Minimus works great for my headlamp needs in my engine room, duck blind, or trailing pigs in the swamp. Rocksolid construction, adjustable beam angle and intensity, and isn't boxy/bulky.
I've had mine for many years and use it all the time.
Maximus version is rechargeable but I prefer option of a battery swap out given where i go...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N34RZCH/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_4NonEb4HX87G4

Best flash light ever. Same as the expensive TacLight. I just ordered another pair From Amazon . Keep loosing or giving them to friends
As the resident TF Cheapskate, I agree 100% with Lecomte's recommendation. We've had a pair of these for several months and use the heck out of them.. Ya can't beat the lights and ya can't beat the price.

As the resident TF Cheapskate, I agree 100% with Lecomte's recommendation. We've had a pair of these for several months and use the heck out of them.. Ya can't beat the lights and ya can't beat the price.

They're great for general purposes close in, but as the OP here, these little lights are not what I would carry as a POWERFUL light looking for buoys.

I have a Marinebeam and it works great for a spotlight as designed. It is completely useless for a normal flashlight though. It is way too bright, and too small a beam for using on anything close. Great for looking around long distance though.

I have a Marinebeam and it works great for a spotlight as designed. It is completely useless for a normal flashlight though. It is way too bright, and too small a beam for using on anything close. Great for looking around long distance though.

That was my experience with it, and it was just fine for that purpose. However, my need was no so much use aboard my boat as it was to be able to spotlight the boat a couple of hundred feet from my back door during iff weather or just to spot wildlife etc not well illuminated by the motion sensor lights over the back porch. In the end thanks to this very educational thread I bought and am enjoying an EagleTac S25 which is perfectly suited to the task. I would take it on any long boat trip, but for now it is near the back door.

LED Marine FlashLight

We have had two Streamlight "Waypoint" LED rechargeable flashlights and they have proven to be (a) reliable, (b) hold a very long charge, (c) very bright, and (d) they come with a bracket which can be screwed to a bulkhead for storage of the light. We've owned and used them year 'round for over three years. One's on the boat when it is commissioned and one at home. Very happy, and would strongly recommend. Google Streamlight Waypoint and you'll find several sources.

Go to harbour freight. They have Braun rechargable flashlights in all shapes and sizes. I paid $30 for one. Works great! Image.jpeg

I received my Marine Beam in the mail recently and have been playing around with it. A nice light, and should work well for longer distance object identification like the guy in a rowing skiff at 4 am with no lights I once encountered. Since the beam is so focused on a relatively small area, are you able to keep your night vision after using it?

Go to harbour freight. They have Braun rechargable flashlights in all shapes and sizes. I paid $30 for one. Works great! View attachment 99042

Doesn't look too useful as a tool for use from the conning station for buoy and other object ID, which is what I as the OP was looking for. Maybe a work light?

We buy lights like these by the 5-pack, install 14500 lithium ion batteries and end up with a brighter version that will not self discharge and spill caustic fluids when the batteries die. Great for keeping in a backpack, briefcase or purse. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071Y6JFBM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On the boat, I want three different lights:
  1. A bright pencil beam that can clearly illuminate markers at least half a mile away without ruining our night vision by lighting up the foredeck.
  2. A flood light that can give us a wide swath of daylight level light.
  3. Headlights that will last a long time at a reasonable level for working in confined spaces.
For convenience, we have picked lights that are chargeable using a USB cable like our phones use.

Last edited:
We have a Black and Decker rechargeable handheld spotlight bought at Walmart. Pistol grip with a high-low-off trigger. Bright, fast to aim, and only cost about $35. I’ll post a photo if I can find one.

I just wanted to throw in my .02 cents here. I haven't gotten mine yet, so I can't say I have physical experience with it, though I will shortly. But the Nitecore NU32 sounds perfect as a boat headlamp to me. It is waterproof down to 2m; light enough to be comfortable to wear; and, my favorite feature, it has two separate buttons on top: one for the primary and secondary white lights; and one for the separate red light. This sold me on it. Being able to turn on the red light separately without having to cycle through white light first and ruining my night vision sounds perfect. I will say, though, that Outdoor Gear Review's YouTube review mentioned one possible con: there is little tactile feel on these buttons, so it's possible to quickly and accidentally turn on the white light, or both red and white, and wreck your night vision. I guess a bit of care will be the key here.

I also have the new version of the Marinebeam flashlight on the way.

Question: has anyone had any experience with the Marinebeam rechargeable spotlight that is new for 2020?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom