I want a POWERFUL LED Flashlight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A real drop test is out the door of a helicopter at 1000 feet and see if it is still running when it hits the ground. Cheap lights don't isolate the battery from the circuit control board so the battery turns into a battering ram under impact.

That is the primary difference between a cheap light and a "tactical light" since it has to survive the recoil of a weapon since they are often mounted to the gun with ring mounts. Mount a cheap light on a weapon and the controller will die before one magazine is shot...

I bought one this year. That means I bought it either Ace Hardware or maybe Home Depot.
The are a bit heavy so bought one just incase I needed to drive some nails.

The are a bit heavy so bought one just incase I needed to drive some nails.

Or in my case, strike someone in head. That was the only “advantage “ of the old-school D cell monsters.

Is a light's "throw" directly or indirectly related to its lumens? I assume for the reading it has to do with focus. I want something with little if any side lobes - more laser like.

There's a combination of factors that contribute to throw. You need an LED that makes a lot of light. Then a deep cone smooth reflector to send it all in one direction, and then the lens. Some lenses are just flat and some have optical shaping, like eye glasses to further shape the beam.

Everything is a compromise. A wide head creates more throw, but the size gets less convenient. You have to balance the 3 qualities of size, run time and brightness. You can have 2 of them...but not all 3.

The problem with a very tight beam/no side spill on a long range light is that its very hard to hold it still enough for the small spot to stay on target. Its like using 16x binocs on a boat.....the magnification and movement become incompatable.

Is this light going to be strictly for long range spotting, or also used for other things like looking around the lazzarette, walking the dog, finding the breaker panel when you trip a breaker, etc? If its only going to be used from the helm, size may not be as important, and run time may not be a priority, as you can just keep it on the charger.

I am looking for a hand-holdable light to use in docking at night. Personally, I feel that these LEDs have their controls set backwards—by this I mean that all the ones I have seen have their brightest setting at the first point you switch on. I would prefer to start with the lowest, wide-beam setting, because my night vision is good, and I want to preserve that when entering a harbour I don't know.

Are there any that are set up like this (so weakest light, then progressively stronger with subsequent button presses)? And the wider beams are more use to me than the spotlight types. Great thread, too!

I have never owned a GEO Metro either, but I know they are junk. Look... the technology is old and the claims on the site are overstated. Learn a little more about higher end flashlights and you will understand. A 3D cell alkaline flashlight is a dinosaur. You can have a better, brighter, and less expensive light than the Marinebeam and it will still fit in your pocket. That is all I am saying.

OK, so you don't know, never used one or known anyone who did. Never compared side by side with others (like Dashew did, for one). So where did you get the basis for your judgement? Same way you formed your dictate that tinned marine cable is a hoax?

I looked at mine. It is a Husky. Bought at Home Depot for $30.97. It has 1000 lumens. Lifetime warranty without any receipt. Takes 3 D cell batteries and is drop tested to 30 feet and waterproof to 1 meter. At $31 if I drop it overboard it isn’t a big deal. I like the lifetime warranty with no questions so if a battery leaks I will get it replaced. Sometimes getting the absolute best isn’t worth it, but getting something really good is fine.

What sort of a spot does your Husky throw? Is there a lot of side lode lighting up the surroundings?

Anchors!

200.webp

Check out 1lumen.com for good reviews. Acebeam X70 is my choice.

What sort of a spot does your Husky throw? Is there a lot of side lode lighting up the surroundings?

Not a lot of scattered light, pretty good center light. I use it as a portable spotlight at night on the boat. For the price it is pretty good.

Check out 1lumen.com for good reviews. Acebeam X70 is my choice.

That is a beast of a light! I would love to play with one, but the practicality of it and how hot it can get are a bit limiting. Still... fun to dream about. :socool:

I'm another person who has actually owned and used a MarineBeam on a boat.

It's my goto light when underway at night because of the incredibly tight, bright beam. Nothing picks out buoys, moored boats, or lobster pots better.

That's because it's the only one that doesn't blind you with back scatter reflections off the deck and bow rails. Unless you have someone stand on the bow (or put a remote controlled search light on the bow) - all those incredibly bright wide beam flashlights and portable searchlights are just useless underway because of this reflection. It destroys your night vision.

The Marinebeam description says that the illuminated area is only 60ft in diameter at 300 yards (three football fields!) And that seems about right to me based on using one.

If you need a wide area light to light up a cockpit or deck, this isn't the right tool. I own about a half dozen LED flashlights for that. But if you are looking for your mooring, I've never found anything that comes anywhere close.

And those "old school" D alkaline batteries are great for this purpose because it's always ready to go rather than needing a charge after sitting on a shelf for four months. You get a 12 hour battery life - I haven't changed the batteries for three years.

I own the old one, but the description of the new one is exactly the same for the light technology and specs. The only differences I see are a slightly redesigned barrel, a "low" beam setting, a "glow in the dark" switch, and a wrist strap.

Last edited:

RT your gifs are very often not working for me, and I'm using a pretty standard MacBook Air and Safari. They all used to work, so what has changed. Are they getting a bit big to upload, or are you attempting to copy them from somewhere that has a way of preventing that. I know on occasion I've tried to copy the odd one and a blue blank square is all they show.

Any opinions on what head lamps (as in the kind you wear on your head, not in the front of your car) are the best? I find them very useful when working on the boat or other things.

I bought one at Walmart that looks almost identical to the one you pictured that I am very pleased with in fact I also bought a yellow hand held spot light type that I also liked. Both are very bright and rechargeable but they were not nearly as expensive as what you are showing. I think they were each about $30-40. Check Walmart.

This isn't going to be in the same category, but this here is a light.

20200127_064251.jpg

20200127_064502.jpg

Ted

Greetings,
My GIF's don't work on my I-Pad either. I think it's an Apple quirk. Mr. PB's repost showed my GIF just fine.

Regarding head lamps. I use them quite extensively when fiddling in the dark corners. The last one I bought was from Home Despot. Guaranteed for life (I returned the first one-it failed) and less than $20. Of course, can't remember the make. 2 or 3 AAA batteries.

I have a chargeable hand spotlight that emits diffused light that is good for lighting up a dock, etc. I wanted a higher energy light for distance, so I ordered a Marine Beam after reading this thread and the other on line reviews. Thanks for the tips.

I also use head lamps often and have different types and price points. They all seem to work well and have lasted quite a few years, but the best ones are from REI. I don’t recall which brands because I am not on the boat.

I have an Imalent DX80 but I find its beam to be too wide so that it produces a lot of glare in the moist hazy air near the water at night.

For far less money but still a ton of light I use this one (around $70USD):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32000LM-XM...var=610671016038&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Just remember you need to buy the batteries and charger separately.

I use these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4-6-8pcs...var=562556156303&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

And this charger.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Liitokala-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

It only charges 1 of these larger batteries at a time, so it takes a while. I use 4 batteries in the flashlight and store 4 charged. I know storing lithium charged isn't ideal, but they've been working for me this way of around 4 years.

Any opinions on what head lamps (as in the kind you wear on your head, not in the front of your car) are the best? I find them very useful when working on the boat or other things.

I use these cap lights and passed out about 10 as gifts to TFers at the 2018 TF get together. I like that they fit on a ball cap and not a head strap.

They are inexpensive, run on 3 AAA batteries and are easily donned and turned ON/OFF. Before I upgraded my ER lighting, I always wore my cap light to check oil. I normally buy a bunch on Amazon for under $10 each. The Achilles heel of this style is the clip that will break over time if frequently moved on and off the hat. I solved this by dedicating one ball cap as the cap light cap. I find them great for task lighting onboard including night fishing.

My custom made LED Super light sounds much like CarlF's Marinebeam light. It was built for me by a good friend in the CalTrans Road lighting department. He's a lighting and solar expert in highway lights and signage.

It started life as a Maglite but all parts beside the case were changed out. New super powerful LED, reflector, convex glass lens, switching and rechargeable battery pack.

Its tight but powerful beam has minimal near field scatter and a 50-60 ft tight pattern at ~200 yards. I can clearly see the diode's profile in trees at the distant shore. I can easily illuminate a buoy at 1/2 mile in good visibility.

Interestingly, it's a square light beam matching the single high intensity diode. When he gave it to me, it was with a warning NEVER to shine it directly into someone's eyes...it's THAT powerful.

I'd love to measure the lumens somehow but have never had the opportunity. Anyone know how to test a light's lumens?

Last edited:
The Tika model Petzl is only about $30 on Amazon.

My fave headlamp is a Wowtech A2S

WOWTAC A2S LED Headlamp LED Headlight 6 Modes Max 1050 Lumen Waterproof Headlamps, Super Bright Outdoor Sports Running Walking Camping Reading Hiking Riding Fishing (A2S CW) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071HW5XQH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_VB3lEbJ1M99ZR

Or... Thrunite TH30 (a very bright rt angle light)

ThruNite TH30 Super Bright 3350 lumens Rechargeable LED Headlamp for Outdoor and Indoor Using, Hiking,Camping, Cycling (TH30 CW) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FVY7GW1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_2D3lEbBZYX902

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom