Old 07-02-2018, 09:06 PM   #21
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Transom out makes it so easy to board.

So many boats rejected by us simply because you have to climb up and over to get in.
Dangerous on a rough day, dangerous with provisions in hand, pita any other time.
Though I must admit a cutout would be preferable.

No shortage of performance sailboats with no transoms, they manage fine.
Simi 60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:22 PM   #22
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: YellowBird
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
That transom removal is about the dumbest thing I ever heard of. Hadn't the guy ever heard of a thing called reserve buoyancy. Unless the whole back end of the cabin and cockpit can be made as strong and water tight as the original transom, this is a disaster waiting to happen. Run away, do not walk!
Lot's of Nova Scotia boats are built with no transom to facilitate access and that one was probably designed as such also but the point is moot because it's no longer listed & we didn't get a chance to look at it this weekend anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
time bandit.jpg  
Old 07-02-2018, 09:46 PM   #23
Guru

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Transom out makes it so easy to board.

So many boats rejected by us simply because you have to climb up and over to get in.
Dangerous on a rough day, dangerous with provisions in hand, pita any other time.
Though I must admit a cutout would be preferable.

No shortage of performance sailboats with no transoms, they manage fine.
I'd argue against a transom if things get really hairy. The ability to very quickly evacuate water is a safety feature. Last thing you want is an enclosed cockpit that can turn into a bathtub. That's largely what drove the evolution in offshore sailboats.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:45 PM   #24
Guru

City: Seabrook
Vessel Name: Boku
Vessel Model: 1996 Mainship 37 M/Y
If anyone is looking for one of these for a project. This on is only $20K. LOL

https://neworleans.craigslist.org/bo...603838109.html
toocoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:56 AM   #25
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Transom cutout is a non issue in my book. Hundreds of downeast boats have it with much longer back decks...No special strengthening done in the mold to compensate. Glass the piece back in if not liking it. Drop boards are an option too. Personally, I'd keep it.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:15 AM   #26
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Fine to have no transom for a boat built to a naval arch's spec to not have a transom, but this is a DIY modification.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:38 AM   #27
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
What's REALLY nice about this boat is that she's SO PRETTY!

When one's lust is well nourished, the problems are much less problematical, and the rewards are greater. Think of the effort required to restore a Ford Siesta or a Jaguar: same work, same hours. When you're done with the Siesta, you have a Siesta. But, when you're done with the Jaguar, you have a Jaguar!

Now then, about that transom cut-out: Most of our boats have doors cut through the upper sides of the hull. Mine appears to me to have been cut out after the hull and deck were joined. Other very similar-looking boats have their doors in different places. Suggests to me that my supposition is correct. Structurally, that cut-out transom is really just a big door (presuming enough of the corners are intact enough to keep the sides in place, and it looks as though it might be OK). As for safety, consider that most of us have open scuppers, most of us have boats that don't make the slightest pretense about being ocean-going (no dogged doors, watertight hatches, small gasketed ports, freeing ports, etc.)

You love that boat as she is in your minds' eye? You a sucker for hard work and the inevitable punishment? Buy the boat.
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:06 AM   #28

City: Out and About
Vessel Model: Sold-GB 52 Europa, Queenship 59, Tolly 45
Boat hulls need bulkheads for torsional rigidity. Consider a shoe box. What a difference in rigidity with one of short sides removed. That is your hull with the transom completely cut out.
gsholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:29 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsholz View Post
Boat hulls need bulkheads for torsional rigidity. Consider a shoe box. What a difference in rigidity with one of short sides removed. That is your hull with the transom completely cut out.
You're discounting the below waterline half. Plus the cockpit floor. I'm not advocating doing it to just any boat but many have the structural integrity for it not to be a problem. There's a good chance this one does. For all we know, the guy consulted tith the builder before he took the transom out.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:58 AM   #30
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
What you may be missing is the sunken part or hurricane salvage part. A lot of boats have been moved up the east coast to various locations for salvage or repair.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:35 AM   #31
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
Actually, G, a shoebox is pretty poor in torsion until you put the top on. Shawn has it right, the deck makes the open shoebox of the hull into a complete box. It's just that the boxtop is recessed down by the height of the bulwarks. Grab the bulwarks of your boat at one side of the bulkhead door; you'll find it's quite flexible.

All that said, if your deck isn't rather firmly tied to the sides of the hull, you don't really get the structure you'd wish (and which is free for the having if the deck is firmly attached!). Lots of us have boats whose structure is a little light there; that's why the scuppers crack. My 'back porch' floor/deck is only lightly tagged to the hull at the sides and a couple places across the transom. And my scuppers are cracked.
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:35 PM   #32
Guru

So...I spoke with the owner. I'm confident the transom removal was done correctly although I prefer a full transom with a door.
The damaged floors and wood trim is water damage from sitting idle for several years with leaking hatches and not hurricane/submerged boat damage.
The boat originally had a small get-home engine that was removed as well as a wine cooler in the salon and the fuel tanks ahead of the engine; all removed in order to increase cruise speed. I really am not crazy about reinstalling the tanks where they were but not too excited about engineering new tanks & supports to go under the cockpit,either.
I sure would've like to had seen this boat before the modifications were started.
I still think there's a deal to be had for someone with some mechanical know-how & willing to put a little (well, maybe more than a little) effort into a rehab. I'm afraid it's more than I want to bite off now. I need to think on it. I doubt there's a lot of people waiting in line to make an offer on it!
Old 07-04-2018, 01:29 PM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Southampton
Context

I noticed there were a number of responses advising against based on the engine manufacturer unconditionally and without context. I think this is unfair and does an injustice where it would be like advising against Caterpillar, because of their 3116, or judging Evnrudes ETecs based on the engines they produced leading to their buyout by BRP. I am sure their are valid reasons why a given person has a negative view which is due to a specific set of circumstances. I expect in general engine manufacturers have raised the bar considerably in terms of general quality and reliability of their products. Criteria more important than manufacturer in determining engine choices are: service and support for the considered engine for the area where it will be used, the usage and load on the engine in comparison to manufacturers specifications and the service history.

I have no vested interest in any manufacturer and owned a boat with Caterpillar 3208Ts for 11 years, a boat with Volvo TAMD 74Ps for 16 years, and I had an Evinrude 40 hp 4 stoke, which was a rebranded Suzuki, which lasted 12 years, all in salt water with year round boating. Both pairs of diesels have proved very reliable requiring minimal repairs outside of routine service and hose replacements. Eg fuel pump seals replaced on the Cats and pressure sensors on the Volvoís.
Recb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 02:03 PM   #34
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
This seems like a nice boat for 60k. What am I missing?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-42-Cus...0AAOSws-tbJP7d

This boat has been discussed at length over on the Downeast boat forum. The boat needs a lot of going over and through. It has been neglected but kept running. I'm not sure it's worth $60K.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 02:05 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recb View Post
I noticed there were a number of responses advising against based on the engine manufacturer unconditionally and without context. I think this is unfair and does an injustice where it would be like advising against Caterpillar, because of their 3116, or judging Evnrudes ETecs based on the engines they produced leading to their buyout by BRP. I am sure their are valid reasons why a given person has a negative view which is due to a specific set of circumstances. I expect in general engine manufacturers have raised the bar considerably in terms of general quality and reliability of their products. Criteria more important than manufacturer in determining engine choices are: service and support for the considered engine for the area where it will be used, the usage and load on the engine in comparison to manufacturers specifications and the service history.

I have no vested interest in any manufacturer and owned a boat with Caterpillar 3208Ts for 11 years, a boat with Volvo TAMD 74Ps for 16 years, and I had an Evinrude 40 hp 4 stoke, which was a rebranded Suzuki, which lasted 12 years, all in salt water with year round boating. Both pairs of diesels have proved very reliable requiring minimal repairs outside of routine service and hose replacements. Eg fuel pump seals replaced on the Cats and pressure sensors on the Volvoís.
You will always see this on Volvo and I agree with you but Volvo has the largest group of detractors, most of whom have never owned one. If we were primarily a European group you'd see a much different reaction as they're far more widely used and liked in Europe. I, personally, would never reject a boat simply because it had Volvo engines.

I encounter regularly the contingent of Captains who praise Caterpillar to the heights and overlook the various issues CAT has had over the years. Then they respond with how CAT took care of it. Well, Volvo does in the same way when they have issues.

I've found all engine brands to do well when properly maintained and when break in and other rules of use followed. I also know of problems encountered with every engine brand at one time or another and most brands I know address their issues very professionally. We have cases on this forum where Volvo has stepped up to the plate and where Cummins has done so.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:56 AM   #36
Guru

City: Anacortes
Oh, Im both vocal and actually owned the product.

I wonít own another Volvo because in my experience they do not stand behind their products in the same way as say Caterpillar. I believe my issue was not isolated and involved actively hiding the issue. It was known about. I have the metallurgical reports on the failed items and somewhere a copy of the Volvo service bulletin where they lie by shading and omission, leading to multiple cylinder failures in both engines absolutely starting under warranty, known about before the failure, but not addressed. Volvo did not care one iota. Iíll post it if I can find the hard drive where itís stored. Still in possession of the faulty parts and can definitively prove everything. Volvo certainly did not support their engines in my case.

I did like the overall quality of the product at first. It was not garbage, but I did learn just how Important the service network and support is to success with a label. Volvo simply fails in this area and I do think they are deserving of their earned reputation.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:38 AM   #37
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
I had a Volvo in my last boat...ran well, no issues. It certainly is an issue with parts for legacy engines. This boat was a bargain! Low hour Volvo. Many peeps made a big deal out of transom cutout. I've seen too many to worry about that. I would keep it if it was mine. I think a fully found Downeast boat for 100k is a great deal. If I was in the market, I would have snatched it up. Water damaged wood on the interior is because of improperly bedded windows, not a hurricane damage sinking. Tank issue could be dealt with easily, as long as you don't want huge tankage. I remember when this boat came out from the finisher...Soundings or PM did an article on her. Lot of boat for short money for a handyman or other who actually knows what they are looking at..
Old 07-05-2018, 10:48 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
Oh, Im both vocal and actually owned the product.

I won’t own another Volvo because in my experience they do not stand behind their products in the same way as say Caterpillar. I believe my issue was not isolated and involved actively hiding the issue. It was known about. I have the metallurgical reports on the failed items and somewhere a copy of the Volvo service bulletin where they lie by shading and omission, leading to multiple cylinder failures in both engines absolutely starting under warranty, known about before the failure, but not addressed. Volvo did not care one iota. I’ll post it if I can find the hard drive where it’s stored. Still in possession of the faulty parts and can definitively prove everything. Volvo certainly did not support their engines in my case.

I did like the overall quality of the product at first. It was not garbage, but I did learn just how Important the service network and support is to success with a label. Volvo simply fails in this area and I do think they are deserving of their earned reputation.
When were the engines you're referring to built?

I do understand your opposition based on your experience. I know many people who will never own a specific brand of car and yet millions are happy with it, but they had a horrible experience.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:02 AM   #39
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I had 2 Volvo Duo Prop sterndrives in a boat. Every time they needed a part it took forever (up to 12 weeks) to get the parts. The only saving thing was that I worked part time selling boats for the dealer so they took the needed part off a new boat to get my boat up. Donít know if Volvo has improved or not, but I still would not own another Volvo. In Michigan if I have to wait 12 weeks for a part, I might as well put the boat away for the winter.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:15 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I had 2 Volvo Duo Prop sterndrives in a boat. Every time they needed a part it took forever (up to 12 weeks) to get the parts. The only saving thing was that I worked part time selling boats for the dealer so they took the needed part off a new boat to get my boat up. Donít know if Volvo has improved or not, but I still would not own another Volvo. In Michigan if I have to wait 12 weeks for a part, I might as well put the boat away for the winter.
Time period?

On the lake we lived on in NC, the Volvo Stern Drive parts were well stocked by the dealers and available immediately. This would be from 2000-2012 that I'm speaking of.