I think I found her

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with others that while you may be able to complete the delivery in about 10 days... however.... if you don't HAVE TO why make it an unpleasant Get'R Done delivery when taking a little extra time could make it more enjoyable.
Early season lock issues and temp closures are not uncommon.
Be sure to sign up for the canal notice to mariners.
Having some extra help on deliveries can really add to the enjoyment along the way. I advise many making this trip to take some extra time to make it enjoyable.

You really need to take time and assume you will have days that you really don't want to travel. We brought our boat from New Jersey to Lake Michigan in June of 2016 heading West, with 4 aboard.
We sat out an entire day downstream of lock 8 on the Erie due to 45 mile an hour winds. Getting in the locks was like a wind tunnel.
Also sat out a whole weekend Friday - Monday morning at Little Falls, NY due to wind. We had about 7 or 8 boats that sat out. From a 25 Ranger Tug to a 58' Newer something. So we ended up losing 4 days just waiting for less wind.

Brought my 36 up from Lindenhurst LI to Portland ME last summer. Made it from Lindenhurst to Shinnecock in about 9 hours. From there to Point Judith was about 10. We had decent weather. Another 8-9 hour day from there to Sandwich MA at the end of the Cape Cod Canal. Last day was 14 hours from there to Portland. I think you're optimistic at 24hrs NY to Providence.

I think I have found her

Congrats on your new, to you, boat.

Having done that trip in the opposite direction and several yrs ago, as part of our Loop, I would offer that it will take as long as you want it to take, and you should take your time as that is a great trip with a lot to see.

The Erie Canal has a lot going for it.

IF this is a delivery trip you might want to look at taking the St. Lawrence down and around PEI to RI.

Good luck & safe travels.

Greetings,
Mr. N. While the run down the St. Lawrence and around the Gaspe peninsula to RI would be MUCH more interesting, to say the least, it would be at least 3X the length and IMO potentially MUCH more dangerous (The Gulf Of St. Lawrence is NOT to be trifled with nor is the North Atlantic Off Nova Scotia). It will still be there next year.

I agree RTF. Better to take the inside route, especially delivering a new boat.

Two thoughts:

First, I understand that the loopers come out in droves right after the canals open. While you'll be going the other way, that will slow down your locking some. It can also fill all the best places to tie up at night.

Second, it you can get under 25 feet, go through the Harlem River. It's interesting in its own way and saves some time. However, if you've never been around Manhattan, that's a great sightsee -- so you have to balance sightseeing against time. Also note that there's very little traffic in the Harlem, while going around the Battery can be hair raising.

Jim

May not be as many Loopers this year since there will be some lock closures for a lot of the summer.

Keep in mind that early in the season there is more water flow so they may close the locks without warning and you have to wait until the flow slows down. We had that happen just as we got out of the last lock for the day. The lockmaster told us they were closing the canal near us for the day. It may or may not be a problem depending on you plans.

High water is what I've been worried about!! We are traveling from Sturgeon Bay WI over to the North Channel and then down through the TSW. We've planned to leave Sturgeon Bay canal end of the first week in June.......So......high water, fast currents, and closed locks are on my mind....

We're not delivering the boat so I'm in no hurry - just want to be back on the Maine Coast by August 1 or there about.......

Any thoughts?

Thanks all!!

The closures will effect Loopers. But not travel from the Great Lakes to the east coast.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom