I obviously made a mistake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donna

Guru
Vessel Name
Southerly
Vessel Make
1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Due to a death in the family, I left my boat unattended for 2 1/2 weeks. A week before I changed the water pump for my forward air conditioner. I left it in dehumidifer mode. The aft air conditioner was left running normally. I came back to find an E-4 error on my forward air. My aft air is fine and still running.

On further investigation I found the forward lines filled with barnacles and a substantial clog somewhere that I have to track down.

My question: Should I have just let it run normally and not put it in dehumidifier mode? What a pain in the ...!

Sorry about your loss.....

Probably wouldn't have mattered either a/c or dehumidifier but check the manual at what water temps the dehumidifier works OK.

Well, it was going to clog anyway whether it was in humidify or temperature control mode.

So, clean out the clog, and I say this with no direct experience but the theory supports its use, put some bromine tablets in the raw water strainer to control the critters.

David

Thank you! This makes me feel better!

Greetings,
Ms. D. Sorry for your loss. Coulda', woulda', shoulda'...It's a done deal. No sense beating yourself up about it. With your VAST skills, trouble shooting and rectification will be a stroll in the park...

“So, clean out the clog, and I say this with no direct experience but the theory supports its use, put some bromine tablets in the raw water strainer to control the critters.”

Sorry for your loss
Barnacle Buster will work well for cleaning. I would service all salt water systems at the same time.

Well, it was going to clog anyway whether it was in humidify or temperature control mode.

So, clean out the clog, and I say this with no direct experience but the theory supports its use, put some bromine tablets in the raw water strainer to control the critters.

David
I have read several reports stating that use of chlorine in raw water reduces corrosion in copper/nickel.

I have to add 6 1" tabs of chlorine every day or the green scum of clear lake will plug the strainer.

Chlorine will make any plastic parts in the system brittle and prone to failure. Bromine will not....

I am open minded that I am making a mistake. But I never leave my ACs on dehumidifier or not when I leave the boat to go back home. I will tell you that I have to periodically clean mold off of wall paper in certain areas. For some reason the bow of the boat is worse so I leave a fan running there. I just don’t like the idea of the leaving the ACs running when not on board for long periods.

Greetings,
Slight thread drift in response to post #9. We leave 9 oscillating fans running in our absence. 1 in v-berth, 2 in guest cabin, 1 in PH, 2 in saloon, 1 in ER and 2 in the master cabin...No problems with mold thus far in FL.

I leave my AC's off and use a $200 dehumidifier in the cabin/pilothouse. The cabin gets hot, no doubt, but no harm seems to come from it. Dehum cycles off when temp goes up, as higher temp means lower RH. It cycles back on in the evening. Very happy with the arrangement. Marine AC's can be problematic if they run all the time.

bromine tabs kept the barnacled and grass from growing in mine. I have used fans and dehumidifiers for extended periods as well, in order to not over use the ACs, all with some good result.

I should have just let it run. Have never had this problem before. I can tell you it’s about 100 degrees and working in this heat is no fun. Sigh....back to work.

AC

I never run my ac when I’m not on the boat. Too many things can go wrong. I bought a dehumidifier from Walmart and it has a hose attachment that drains overboard from the galley sink. I open hatches etc and set it to 60%. It will drain the water that’s in the bilges. I also use fans.

I never run my ac when I’m not on the boat. Too many things can go wrong. I bought a dehumidifier from Walmart and it has a hose attachment that drains overboard from the galley sink. I open hatches etc and set it to 60%. It will drain the water that’s in the bilges. I also use fans.

Yea I do all that too but I usually let my ac’s run. I let aft run and no problem. :banghead:

I asked my AC guy about leaving it normal or dehumidifier when leaving the boat. He said, the electrical saving is not that much. So I just close up the boat, raise the AC temp about 10F an not worry.
He did recommend bromide tabs.

Done! Working fine, bromide in. I’m going to bed!

Done! Working fine, bromide in. I’m going to bed!

Congrats, we had something similar happen on our way back from NY a month ago and spent 5 days and nights with no AC. All fixed now as well. You'll sleep better now!

Chlorine will make any plastic parts in the system brittle and prone to failure. Bromine will not....

I think you'll find that bromine is highly reactive with plastic. It even eats teflon. Storing it is a real challenge.

Not to be a thorn, and I have no idea....

But..... may I submit that most of the water system in a hot tub is PVC or plastic (like)...at least the ones I had or am familiar with.

My strainers sre Marelon....guess its time to research yet another new to me boating topic concerning bromine in the system.

Last edited:
Now I know why, when I retired I followed the swallows South and kept going until the butter started to melt.
Jeez I remember all that dampness hassle in Ireland and feel sorry for you guys.
Its why we make the finest whisky in the world, to console ourselves.

How about for fresh water?

Bromide tabs in the strainer basket? is this good for freshwater as well?

ALSO i see people using barnical buster - good also for fresh water?

Thanks
Paul
KK Manatee "OMA"

Bromide ! in the fresh water ? :confused:
When I was in the army they gave us bromide in the tea to stop us getting randy.
Now I need all the help I can get :rofl:

We have been using a couple of Davis Air-Dryer Marine Dehumidifiers, just plus them in and leave them alone. No need to drain or moving parts. Seem to work fine throughout this hot humid summer in the NE.

I need a class in thermo something or other as I do not understand how the Davis units work. Plug in, put on floor. Unit draws in cold air and heats it. Puts the moisture in suspension and then blows the warmer air out the top. Hot air rises, cold air drops, it brings in more colder air. It doesn't remove moisture so...i know it reduces RH by heating the air but a heater would do the same? Thought we were trying to remove moisture not heat up the cabin... Sorry for ignorance...

Last edited:
I need a class in thermo something or other as I do not understand how the Davis units work. Plug in, put on floor. Unit draws in cold air and heats it. Puts the moisture in suspension and then blows the warmer air out the top. Hot air rises, cold air drops, it brings in more colder air. It doesn't remove moisture so...i know it reduces RH by heating the air but a heater would do the same? Thought we were trying to remove moisture not heat up the cabin... Sorry for ignorance...

I have had a couple of them and they simply heat up the air above the plate creating a convention current that causes air so continually move. You are absolutely right that it doesn’t remove moisture from the air but simply keeps the moisture in suspension. I found on my last sailboat that they were a great adjunct to an actual dehumidifier.

What I think works even better is this Camfromo unit. Less heat but a low speed fan that moves a bit more air. Again, not a substitute for a dehumidifier, but a couple of these in a 40’ boat can help circulate the air so that a 30 pint dehumidifier in the saloon can effectively dry the entire boat.
https://2429ox32nr6936vkvkjzpxso-wp...ent/uploads/sites/2/2015/01/stor-dry-9406.jpg

Bromide tabs in the strainer basket? is this good for freshwater as well?

ALSO i see people using barnical buster - good also for fresh water?

Thanks
Paul
KK Manatee "OMA"

I've helped with 3 boats in our Marina in the past month. AC units shutting down do to cooling restrictions. We are in fresh/brackish water. A Barnacle buster treatment on each solved the problems. You can see the effectiveness of it when you flush the lines after sitting for a bit. Each boat AC was brought back to full efficiency....

What’s wrong with leaving the AC’s on? We just left our boat with the salon AC on 88, the aft AC on 85 and thr forward AC off. I figure it’ll just enough during the day to keep the moisture out but obviously not run at all at night.

If I every get another boat and it happens to be steel or aluminum, I'd like to try welding angle metal to the hull to form a keel cooler. Think having keel cooled all in one AC units with a mild antifreeze solution circulating though the system would be pretty low maintenance.

Welding angle to the hull surface would make them pretty easy to clean.

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom