I need some help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonesD

Vessel Name
Michelle
Vessel Make
1977 Schucker 436
I just closed on a Schucker 436 today. There were some issues with the hull number and the just previous owners registration but the title company worked it all out.
My problem is this
The Hull number is only 6 digits and the insurance company states that any craft produced after 1972 should have a 12 digit hull number. The hull number I have is only 6 digits. The only other Schucker owner I have been in contact with sent me a picture and location of his hull number, located on the inside of the transom and also 6 digits.
Has anyone got any further nformation that might be helpful?
The insurance company tells me it’s system will not allow the next step without this info.
It is very critical to me as my new mooring will not allow me access without the liability insurance up to date. I don’t blame them at all.
I would appreciate any input other than the obvious , how stupid are you

Thanks

Congrats on your new boat. Sorry I can’t help with the HIN problem.

You might want to contact the Coast Guard or state governing body over recreational boating... Parks and Recreation in Texas? According to some things I found with a quick google search then:

"When the State encounters HINs on boats older than 10 years
from the date of manufacture that contain any number of characters
other than 12:
- The State should issue a State HIN using the New (Current) Format
- The last four of the State HIN should be the month and year issued
to that vessel.
- A record of the original HIN must be made a part of the boat’s record
and the owner should retain a copy for their records and should be
advised to keep a copy aboard their boat.
- On boats built prior to November 1, 1972 States are not
required to issue a State HIN but may do so. "

"When the State encounters HINs on boats within 10 years old
from the date of manufacture, that contain any number of
characters other than 12:
- If the manufacturer is out of business;
- States should verify if the USCG authorization has been given.
- The State should issue a State HIN using the New (Current)
Format.
- The last four of the State HIN should be the month and year
issued to that vessel.
- A record of the original HIN must be made a part of the boat’s
record and the owner should retain a copy for their records and
should be advised to keep a copy aboard their boat. "

https://higherlogicdownload.s3.amaz...ved_HIN_Validation_Verification_Guideline.pdf

Good Luck!

Thank you for the information. I will be tackling the title company who processed this mess Monday morning. They should know better.

Also check the USCG Maritime documentation systen.
Six digits is right to be the documentation number.
The HIN could be on the keel, transom, or as ours is, stencilled on the inside of the hull, in the engine room, under the last layer of fiberglass. Ours is a 1986 build.

JohnS is possibly correct. If these numbers are larger, then that's documentation.

Aboard Seaweed (a Schucker mini-trawler circa 1983) my Schucker HIN is on the transom, starboard side, 1' from the side of the boat. The number is stamped in just below the stripe, almost hidden unless I'm upside down looking!

And welcome to the Schucker world. It's magnificent out here!

Boat Values, Price Guides, Yachts for Sale & Charter - BUC.COM

This company has guides that might be useful.

There is a manufacturer code in the hull number. Take pictures.

Boats are issued new registration numbers by the state sometimes and the hull number doesn't match the paperwork. Ask who has the authority to make changes. Sometimes it's the tax people and sometimes fish and game, who knows 'til you ask.

Call another state if yours won't help.

Call a boat charity like on eBay if the states won't help. Charities regularly get boats with no paperwork. A small donation might make it right.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help everyone.Today I tried without success to find anything n the rear rudder post area. Tomorrow I will dive in to the engine bay and see if I can get lucky.

Manufacturer's hull number is typically engraved on the exterior hull on the stern (frequently top right). USCG documentation number could be almost anywhere with much larger font.

They can be anywhere.
In Australia, they have to have two separate HIN plates on the boat. My first one was easy to find on the hull near the stern. The second one was eventually found on the inside of a cabinet in the vee berth. The drawers had to be removed before it could be seen.

It's a bit like an Easter egg hunt.

Thanks for the hints. Tomorrow will be a search day. I wish I had know to look at the keel as John S suggested when I had it in the slings during the survey .Mean while I have moved all my belongings onboard and realized I still have way to much c__p! The coffee maker still works after 8000 miles In the back of the truck driving from Texas to Florida and then to the west coast. It’s been fun but hopefully more to come! Thanks again to all. Will let you know how it goes.

"Mean while I have moved all my belongings onboard and realized I still have way to much c__p!"

Perhaps but look everywhere,, boats contain huge storage areas .Look in , behind and under. May take a week to get sorted , then go for a 2 week cruise , and cart aboard the next load.

In case the 6 digit number is the Fed Registration #, try a search on the Coast Guard site. Enter the number as "registration number" leave the rest blank, and check the bottom box for "out of service" for a boat not currently registered
If the boat was registeted, the last tegistration info should come up, which will include the HIN. Once you get that # put it on the hull, keel plate, or stringer, and you should be good to go.

Sotty. I forgot to include ghe link. It is:
cgmix uscg.mil/psix.psixsearch.aspx

I think some are referring to the cg documentation number that is differeythan the maker’s hull number .

Thanks
The title company is applying to the state for a new HIN.

Good news for me, the title company applied for a new HIN and it happened pretty quickly. I am now legal and was able to get insurance.
Big sigh of relief!
Thanks for the help all.

Good news for me, the title company applied for a new HIN and it happened pretty quickly. I am now legal and was able to get insurance.
Big sigh of relief!
Thanks for the help all.

And now you've learned the true value of a documentation and title company. They make your life so much easier.

Yes, we can all handle it when everything goes right, but Murphy says that is not going to happen.

Edzachary!

Back
Top Bottom