I made it to Mexico in my Bayliner!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been up/down this very stretch of coast dozens of times. It's pretty much all I did for about 200 days/year for 5-years. I have been vocal that the weather is manageable, and been vocal that it doesnt require a bluewater boat such as a Nordhavn to make the trip safely and comfortably. Two thumbs-up to Doug and Kevin for getting out and going - I hope this is encouragement for many others. It really is approachable.

But.....where I was (and remain) a naysayer is in long distance single-handing. Recall, Kevin's original itinerary had him with overnight runs of over 36-hours which he ended up not doing (at least until now). He harbor-hopped down the coast which is feasible in a fast-ish boat. His options for day-runs will narrow when he heads south from Ensenada in November due to short days, long distances between stops, and limited fuel will mean he must reduce speed to increase range. He can take steps to reduce risk such as set alarms, but there is no question that a single-handed boat cannot adequately abide by the COLREGS requirement to stand a proper watch over a long period of time (certainly 24-hours, but probably less). Not opinion, a fact - there is not a single person who would shrug-off an airline pilot who was doing a triple-shift which is why it's a well-enforced requirement. If there was an accident, it would not go well for the single-handed operator no matter how many Internet high-5's are out there.

Peter

Kevin,

364 days left.

Ted

Inspirational! Congrats on a wonderful accomplishment!

Kevin,

Congratulations!

From personal experience, it will probably take about a year before the naysayers stopping saying how you Shouldn't Have Succeeded.

Keep proving them wrong!

Ted

Although I wasn't among those advising against the plan, the comments were primarily concerns about unnecessary risks. No one said it couldn't be done. The suggestions were almost entirely focused on a safer approach. Adults (mostly) get to make their own decisions, and Kevin made his. He managed the risks reasonably and made a good trip of it.

Congrats on the trip so far. I enjoyed following along and look forward to more updates.

Some people on here are relentless. It's like dealing with a teenager who always has to get the last word (post) in. Log out once in a while and do something else, read a book, whatever. He would have been in greater danger driving his car down there instead of going by boat.

Congratulations! FWIW, we ran into no personal safety issues whatsoever during our ~6 months in Mexico last winter. We liked it so much we changed plans and left Akeeva near Loreto for the summer. When are you continuing south? Maybe we'll cross paths at some point...we'll be back down there in October or November.

Congratulations! FWIW, we ran into no personal safety issues whatsoever during our ~6 months in Mexico last winter. We liked it so much we changed plans and left Akeeva near Loreto for the summer. When are you continuing south? Maybe we'll cross paths at some point...we'll be back down there in October or November.

Side bar:
Retriever, I expect by 'close to Loreto' you mean Puerto Escondido? We plan to hold up there a couple of weeks starting around 11/15. I will look for Akeeva when we get settled if you are still around.
And, like you, despite some recent headlines, we feel pretty safe in the region and specifically in enclaves like Loreto and PE. Far tamer than Pioneer Square for example.....

yep i shouldn't have done it.

Attachments

• A90DF018-0E59-40F6-973B-09387A144C1F.jpg
    A90DF018-0E59-40F6-973B-09387A144C1F.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 624CBF68-A3D1-4759-BA5E-99963346E578.jpg
    624CBF68-A3D1-4759-BA5E-99963346E578.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Mid November after ba a ha and cubar I'll leaver for la paz. I already have a slip rented at Marina La Paz

Kevin,

Thx much for posting, many of us really enjoy following your ventures. Great job!

K
After many years of working hard to keep your boat warm and dry in AK, a flip has occurred. How will you keep the boat cool (ACs) once into the warm and sunny Baja climate, especially when March weather starts climbing above 85F?

K
After many years of working hard to keep your boat warm and dry in AK, a flip has occurred. How will you keep the boat cool (ACs) once into the warm and sunny Baja climate, especially when March weather starts climbing above 85F?

I'm going to buy air conditioning.

Greetings,
"I'm going to buy air conditioning." Hmmmm....

iu

It's hot in La Paz in the summer!

The problem is sleeping. Once a structure gets really hot it's difficult to sleep.

I'll get AC especially for the master cabin

We are all very happy you made safe and sound
Your average speed was what?
Average distance from the coast?
How long to clear customs?
Did you run with doors and windows open?

Last edited:
We are all very happy you made safe and sound
Your average speed was what?
Average distance from the coast?
How long to clear customs?
Did you run with doors and windows open?

i ran with the pilothouse doors open much of the time, especially when it was warm.

I kept the boat at hull speed, and varied that speed between 1 and 9.5 knots depending on my days travels. Occasionally I brought the boat up on plane, but not often.

Clearing Mexican customs took about an hour. On day 1 I tied up and within a few minutes a health official checked me for covid symptoms and released me to to to customs.

The office was closed for the day so the next morning I went with the representative from Hotel Coral Marina to the customs office. There were several documents I needed to sign, and the representative filled them out for me. All total it was about an hour and I had my Temporary Import Permit.

I generally stayed close to the coast but made straigh lines so sometimes that took me offshore.

all in all a piece of cake

Congratulations on a successful and fantastic voyage, Kevin!
I may have missed any indication of your long-range plans earlier... Will you stay in Mexico? Will you continue south...??

Congratulations on a successful and fantastic voyage, Kevin!
I may have missed any indication of your long-range plans earlier... Will you stay in Mexico? Will you continue south...??

The plan is to have no plan, but the general idea is to explore Mexico and enjoy my senior years :)

Congrats, Kevin. I think that the 4788 is a great boat. Didn't know they existed until I was next door to one in Bay St. Louis a few years ago. Excellent rec boat! Especially like the pilothouse setup. And, as you've demonstrated, a real boat.

Congrats on the epic trip and the can-do attitude.

So many great things have been accomplished by people who were told, it can't be done.

Congrats - helluva trip!!! Advice is spot on!!

Congratulations! What was your longest crossing?

Kevin...Bravo Zulu amigo. My wife and I run our 58 ft. pilothouse by ourselves and have made the trip from San Diego as far South as Barra de Navidad 8 times out of the last 12 years. The only thing to remember is the run from Ensenada to either Cabo San Lucas or San Jose del Cabo is along about 800 miles of the Baja and there are very few places to make only daylight passages. We make the run from Ensenada to Turtle Bay (270 NM) in about 32hrs. We trade off every 3-4 hrs. Rest and get screwed by Enrique for some fuel in TB. Then it is about 240 NM to Bahia Santa Maria which takes us about another 32-34hrs. Rest and get ready for another 150 or 190 NM run to either Cabo or San Jose. A little farther than SM is Mag Bay where you can tuck into Belchers or Man O War coves for good anchorage. From San Jose you can then anchorage hop up to La Paz. It would be really difficult for me personally to make runs of 30-36 hrs. solo. That run down the outside of the Baja is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. I guess with radar distance alarms and a sleep timer I might be able to do it. Anyway, good luck, safe travels. We will be departing again about Dec. 1 after the Ha Ha and Cubar ar over. Ross

Chees Ross you guys are covering some serious miles. Great stuff. You should consider spending more time on here posting about boating, rather than actually doing it.

Thanks, We just returned from 2 months up at Catalina and are now doing a long list of things to get the boat ready to head South again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom