Old 03-18-2017, 12:40 PM   #21
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
The fastest way to learn is from successful fishermen. Also, try going on a party boat trip and see what gear they use. They have to catch fish or soon have no customers.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:35 PM   #22
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
When I think of how difficult it's gotten lately to catch legal keeper fish that taste good I don't even bring a rod onboard the Monk here in Florida. No wash down pump, cooler, tackle, filet knives, bait or rod holders. If I want to fish I have a small center console here in FL and NJ just for that.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:54 PM   #23

City: Comox
Vessel Model: 1989 Wellington 57 motorsailer
Don't forget, prawning and crabbing is fishing too!
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:59 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
A bit of networking, put the word out locally, will yield expert saltwater fishermen who've sadly been forced to let go of their boat, and would be DYING to get back out there.

Or even just advertise, "free chartering" opportunities, in exchange for tutoring, ask for references 8-)

Make some friends while you're at it!
I'd be careful about suggesting a "charter" as that carries other implications of a commercial operation, but talking with the local anglers is a great place to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyday View Post
Run over to Holiday Sports....Hwy 20 - Interstate 5 junction in Burlington. 15 minutes from your location. Best resource in the area and very nice store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
The fastest way to learn is from successful fishermen. Also, try going on a party boat trip and see what gear they use. They have to catch fish or soon have no customers.
The bait and tackle shops normally have a bead on what's hot and what's not. They also know which charter captains do best. You can learn more on a day with a good charter captain than you can in years of trial and error.

I fish regularly from my 34 LRC. In fact, one of my main reasons for selecting this boat was its fishability. My cockpit is well suited for 2-3 anglers and we work together to contain the mess. If I land a fish, it's always in the designated aft port corner so any mess is limited to that area. If needed, a RW washdown hose is available to aid in the cleanup.

When I bait fish, I keep the bait mess contained to one cutting board on the aft galley countertop just inside the aft double doors. I have a beer and bait fridge right there and I bait up and clean up as I go.

Last week I enjoyed a 6-day trip on San Pablo Bay, Suisun Bay, Montezuma Slough and the Napa River. I spent more time cruising, socializing and relaxing than actually fishing, but I still managed to land a 79 inch sturgeon for my first fish of the year. Fish that big get released at the swimstep so there's no fish blood or slime in the cockpit, but I've had several 60-65 inch sturgeon aboard plus a few bat rays and the boat's no worse for the wear. It's all a matter of planning and keeping up with the occasional messes.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:59 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
When I think of how difficult it's gotten lately to catch legal keeper fish that taste good I don't even bring a rod onboard the Monk here in Florida. No wash down pump, cooler, tackle, filet knives, bait or rod holders. If I want to fish I have a small center console here in FL and NJ just for that.
My wife has made me promise..."no more boats..." at least for awhile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post
Don't forget, prawning and crabbing is fishing too!
We've seen people crabbing here. Looks like fun!
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:00 PM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
The first thing I'd do is a fishing charter. Go out with a pro and see how you enjoy it. I grew up fishing some on the lake too. My cousin knew what he was doing so we caught a lot. We could catch a couple hundred bream or blue gill most any time. In season, 40 or 50 crappie. He liked to bass fish, me not so much. A day of fishing for three or four fish was not my thing.

Fast forward to the coast. A little fishing goes a long ways for me. It's like bass fishing was on the lake. I get my fill through occasional charter or going out with a friend, who once ran fishing charters, on his Viking. 4 to 6 times a year is about the right number for me, mostly in new or different places where even if I did fish, I wouldn't know what was right for those areas. You'll have to see how you enjoy it. We have one young girl, (18 at the time) who when she went with us on a fishing charter fell in love with fishing and would go anytime anyone would take her.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:11 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes, WA
Vessel Name: Little Fish
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 39
I'm just around the bend from you, Bruce, in Anacortes. I'll be following this thread. As a recent transplant from sailing, and the SF Bay, I, too, want to try some fishing from my, new to me, trawler. No recent experience, but this area is supposed to offer great fishing, crabbing and shrimping. My friends in California gave me a bunch of fishing gear as a going away gift. Rods, reels, and two full tackle boxes. I think they were more excited about the fishing prospects here, than I was! Good luck with your new boat.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:21 PM   #28
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
The number one thing to remember about fishing tackle is most of it catches a lot more fisherman than fish.

also....10 percent of the fisherman catch 90 percent of the fish and only 10 percent of their tackle catches 90 percent of their fish.....soooooo....know what you want before ever entering a tackle shop....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:37 PM   #29
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. FW's suggestion of quizzing the bait shop proprietors is probably the best thing to do first off. The ONLY drawback may be that the shop might not have much entry level equipment. Bass Pro shops (Tacoma) or even Wally Mart would be more likely to stock cheaper stuff. As per Mr. ps's comment about tackle. Start off really simple.
IF you do invest in a fish identification book, a good one will have suggestions about the type of tackle to try and the techniques to use.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:43 PM   #30
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
The number one thing to remember about fishing tackle is most of it catches a lot more fisherman than fish.

also....10 percent of the fisherman catch 90 percent of the fish and only 10 percent of their tackle catches 90 percent of their fish.....soooooo....know what you want before ever entering a tackle shop....
Going on a charter can help there too. They are professionals and in that 10% but also they buy gear for durability and price. There's might be more than you need, but they've put their tackle through the test.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:08 PM   #31
TF Site Team

A charter captain knows what works because his income depends upon it. You might not need the high quality rod/reel he uses, but the bait, terminal tackle, techniques and locations are all important.

Never go to Walmart or BPS for local fishing advice. My local outlets don't even carry the bait and tackle I need for sturgeon fishing in local waters. You'd be lucky if the Walmart employee even knows how to fish. Go to a REAL bait and tackle shop and listen to the folks there. They know the fishing guides and local anglers and are very likely fishermen themselves.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:13 PM   #32
Scraping Paint

City: CT
no one said go to big box for advice
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:22 PM   #33
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. 61. I guess I'm on an ignore list somewhere...Nope, not Bass Pro or Wally for advice just cheaper equipment...(post #29)
Old 03-18-2017, 04:45 PM   #34
TF Site Team

If you buy cheap equipment from Walmart, you're not getting the better and more appropriate equipment that you'd find in the B&T shop. Also, you're not getting the advice on using it that you'd get from the local tackle shop. What they sell is equipment with free advice and instruction. Buy it from Wally World and figure it out on your own.

This is how the local shops survive and we'd all be worse off without them.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:08 PM   #35
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. FW. We could actually be on the same page here. The bait shops I am familiar with in FL cater to serious fisherman, charter captains and guides. There are no entry level rods and reels sold at these establishments that I have ever noticed. By all means, one should buy hooks, bait and terminal tackle at these shops as it is guaranteed to be of much higher quality than any big box store but to suggest Mr. BrB invest in top notch rods and reels when he doesn't even know if he'll like the sport is ill advised IMO.
IF, in fact the bait stores on the west coast are substantially different and DO offer reasonable equipment, then sure, buy all the stuff there.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:30 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyday View Post
Run over to Holiday Sports....Hwy 20 - Interstate 5 junction in Burlington. 15 minutes from your location. Best resource in the area and very nice store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

Well,
We just came from Holiday Sports.
Great store, knowledge people and I purchased...nothing!
Lots to think about though.
Bruce
Old 03-18-2017, 05:58 PM   #37
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I haven't fished since (fifty years ago) realizing going to a market was cheaper, easier, less time-consuming, and less messy. ... Fishermen, I salute you!
Old 03-18-2017, 07:10 PM   #38
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
With the prices some markets are charging these days for decent fish....I think the pendulum is swinging back to the fisherman.

Some fishing, like the subsistence fishing I did in Alaska, was WAY cheaper than buying...

But for the most part, you are absolutely correct Mark....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:14 PM   #39
Guru

Here we are, all of us owners of boats, discussing the high cost of fishing...
Oh the irony!
Bruce
P.s. I'm not being critical, we do it all the time!
Old 03-18-2017, 07:36 PM   #40
TF Site Team

Where I live, you can't buy wild sturgeon in a store. It's illegal. But if you want farmed fish, help yourself!