I have questions, do you have answers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My mechanic enjoys access to my single four-cylinder John Deere from top and both sides (three hatches in the pilothouse, two shown).

Attachments

• IMG_4029.jpg
    IMG_4029.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 22
Now that's a boat I could do maintenance on.

JD Ray, there's lots of good input above. A few things from my perspective, some of which may repeat some of the other input. Rather than hit your specific questions, many of which have been addressed I have just a few additional comments.
1) You didn't mention your actual price range and size target but one thing to keep in mind is that maintenance costs are not linear with length. A good piece of input I got from a professional was to expect maintenance costs to double every 5 feet.
2) Where you boat and how you use it drives the configuration. We love the tri-cabin design as it provides good separation from guests and a large master. But mostly it comes down to personal preference. For this you just have to look at various boats and I'd suggest chartering a couple.
3) Be open to looking at a variety of boats. We purchased a boat that wasn't in our initial target list. We started out to buy a Grand Banks 42 and ended up with a Tollycraft.
4) The main benefit of twin engines is the 'security' of powertrain redundancy. I can tell you that I've been on a single engine boat when something failed. We really wanted twins when we bought our current boat only for that reason. But it doubles engine maintenance cost. In many ways the ideal, for me, would be a single with a 'get home'. A bow thruster would be nice but frankly, it isn't that hard to learn how to manage a single.
5) Flying bridge. I wasn't much interested in the flybridge when we bought. Since we've had it I've only once used the lower helm station. The visibility from the flybridge is great, we have a full enclosure so it is 'all weather', and I was surprised how subdued the motion was up there.

What does your slip cost per month? Does it include power? Thanks in advance.
In Poulsbo - less costly than on the east side of Puget Sound, $325 plus electricity. I am away 5 months in the summer (maybe not this year), so sometimes I don't have to pay all 12 months.

This forum is a veritable mine of information for new cruisers/owners, and covers a large range of boats.

I also recommend the Albin Owners Group (www.albinownersgroup.com) for a more builder-specific forum that may be useful if you are searching for smaller (25-43ft) boats that are as well built as any, relatively easy to maintain and have a dedicated group of enthusiasts.

If you end up with a short list, most "marques" have owners groups which are worth researching.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom