Old 03-24-2020, 06:48 AM   #1

City: New Bern, NC
Vessel Name: Ikarus
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
I have a confession in these days

Well, even after years with trawlers, enjoying all that a trawler gives, and really having fun with my Prairie 29.....

I STILL love sailing and truly miss not having a sailboat.

There, I said it.

I began boating on sailboats and sailed for the first 15 years of my boating life.
Ive owned small sailboats and up to a Hunter 33. I love sailing.
I love the feel of the wind simply blowing me and moving the boat calmly across the water.

Yet, 10 years ago I moved to trawlers and when I lived aboard I thrilled at the space, "above ground" living of a trawler and the feel of the power, generator, space to live and spread my life around the boat.

But as these days of self isolation and virus attack......I look online and find boats for sell that Ive loved and desired to own.
I dream of sailing again (yes, I have a sailing dinghy, but really not the same, and yes, I have friends who sail....but they do not sail like I do )

So I lust, dream and ponder about sailing again. I even lurk on a sailing forum.

But I do not fool myself. I got out of sailing because i found I motored more than actually sailed (unless it was a lazy afternoon just to sail around....if I was on a journey...I needed to move and not wait for the wind)
It is much more work to sail instead of starting a nice engine and simply moving.
A trawler has so much space, liveaboard room, and i love the upper helm so very much.

BUT, I still love sailing and dream of sailing again.

Thank you for allowing me to confess.

Tim

kokopelliTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:04 AM   #2
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Go rent one for a day - I suspect you will soon get over it again!

menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Snohomish
Vessel Name: Toki
Vessel Model: Ranger 27
There's probably a 12 step program for people like us. Most of those steps would involve rum.
Toki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:12 AM   #4
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Motorsailor ? Not the best of both worlds but has advantages of both.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:19 AM   #5
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Sailing is glorious - those few days out of any given year you actually get to do it.

I come from a power boat background, but have done enough sailing on those good days to feel the exhilaration.

The reality is, for any real cruising, you're making yourself far more uncomfortable than you need to be 90% of the time, just for those few glorious moments. And I've seen so many sailboats motoring along under bare poles in perfect wind conditions that I can only assume even that thrill wears off quickly when you're trying to get somewhere.

As a non-sailor, I can only conclude that sailing is for day trips, or long ocean crossings. At the mouth of every harbor you can see lots of sails on a good day. In transit between those harbors, it's very rare.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:24 AM   #6
Guru

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
I understand. We sold our sailboat and bought a power cruiser three years ago. Although I love our power boat, I sure miss the sailboat some days.

I wish I was rich enough to have kept both. But, wife assured me that was not true!
Old 03-24-2020, 09:40 AM   #7
Guru

City: Out Cruisin'
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Vessel Model: Great Harbour N37
Hi Tim,

I too love sailing.

I prefer small-boat sailing, however. Once over about 18-20ft the boat starts to loose its "feel" to me. I enjoy the effects of shifting weight and position have on the boat. The tiniest change in wind has an immediate feel.

If I have to be on a bigger boat, living aboard - I'd rather be comfortable in SCOUT.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	600pwhitewr17.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	100636   Click image for larger version

Name:	spindrift.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	100637   Click image for larger version

Name:	wr16.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	100638   Click image for larger version

Name:	widgeon (Small).JPG
Views:	49
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	100639  
m/v SCOUT Projects Page
boathealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:59 AM   #8
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Me too.

I grew up sailing and sailed on the offshore team in college.

I sail my Minto dinghy in fair weather, but I would really like a Laser and a Cape Dory Typhoon to keep me entertained.

Anything bigger, I'd rather someone else pay for it...
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:26 AM   #9
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Old 03-24-2020, 10:34 AM   #10
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
I carry a Hobie One 12' sailboat on Sandpiper. It's a lot of fun and thrills.

Prior to the Hobie, I had a Windrider trimaran like the one in the post above. It was not as much fun as the Hobie.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190726_120112_resized_5.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	100641   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190726_120110_resized_5.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	100642  
Attached Images

syjos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:10 AM   #11

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Couple’s Retreat
Vessel Model: 2019 North Pacific 45
My first boat -13’ Sunfish sailboat...
jimdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:55 AM   #12
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Now wait a minute I thought show or discussing sailboats was against TF policy!!! LOL

Stink Pots everywhere revolt!!

Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:58 AM   #13
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
The solution for us is a day-sailer. They’re relatively cheap and trailerable . . . there when we’re ready for a sailing fix and easy to put away when we’re ready to get back to comfortable boating.

Just a general comment: of all the things I could get into a pissing contest over, the idea of dissing sailboats because I like my trawler better (or vice versa) is at the rock bottom of my list. The operative word is “boat.”
angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:18 PM   #14
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
Just a general comment: of all the things I could get into a pissing contest over, the idea of dissing sailboats because I like my trawler better (or vice versa) is at the rock bottom of my list. The operative word is “boat.”
I agree. Just having fun in Virus country. No insult intended.

Hey a thought, if you run out of TP you can always start ripping pieces of sail..... Just say'n
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:32 PM   #15
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 29 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
You remind me of the pre-DSLR cameras using film. Most of us older farts would wax poetic over film and how superior it was to digital. I remember seeing my Canon 10s sitting on the shelf, a tear rolling down from its eye because I didn't use it any more.

And I read in forums of others having so much fun going back to film. I went out and bought some really great colour and black and white rolls of negative film. Put them in my fridge to keep them fresher. They sat in my fridge for three years. Digital was just easier to use and learn from, make a mistake and you could instantly correct, wonder how the image turned out, you knew immediately.

And when I sailed, it was fun, hooked me for life on the water and great areas to visit. But sailing in Vancouver became repetitive. Little distance could be covered when out for a day sail, the same pretty much all the time.

I know the old saying - When you get on a power boat you are going somewhere, when you get on a sailboat, you are already there. But sometimes I wanted to go somewhere, not the same old somewhere.

I agree with others, go rent a sailboat for a week and get back to us after you have returned.
rsn48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:23 PM   #16
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
I agree. Just having fun in Virus country. No insult intended.

Hey a thought, if you run out of TP you can always start ripping pieces of sail..... Just say'n
Hey, ASD, my mini-rant wasn’t for you. I wrote it earlier this morning and it didn’t send due to a bad connection. When I finally got to better service, off it went. By then, you had posted. Sorry.
angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:17 PM   #17
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
I like sailing! I love motoring!!

Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:43 PM   #18
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopelliTim View Post
Well, even after years with trawlers, enjoying all that a trawler gives, and really having fun with my Prairie 29.....
I STILL love sailing and truly miss not having a sailboat.
There, I said it.

Tim
Tim, I know exactly how you feel. We don't have a boat now, but recently, in place of watching the Melbourne formula one GP, for which our son and family were visiting, and which, as you all might know, was cancelled due to 'you know what', we decided for a bit of a hoot, to play a VHS tape of an edited down (from VHS Compact format), version of a sailing holiday we had shared, in the Bay of Islands, in NZ, when our sons were only 14 and 11 respectively. Well, it was a hoot, especially as the eldest now has 2 kids of similar ages himself, but man...it brought out such nostalgia, remembering how much fun the sailing was, I almost cried...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8D4A22EE-1A88-41A1-8749-314DEEF9FA43.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	100656  
Old 03-24-2020, 06:01 PM   #19
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Tim, I know exactly how you feel. We don't have a boat now, but recently, in place of watching the Melbourne formula one GP, for which our son and family were visiting, and which, as you all might know, was cancelled due to 'you know what', we decided for a bit of a hoot, to play a VHS tape of an edited down (from VHS Compact format), version of a sailing holiday we had shared, in the Bay of Islands, in NZ, when our sons were only 14 and 11 respectively. Well, it was a hoot, especially as the eldest now has 2 kids of similar ages himself, but man...it brought out such nostalgia, remembering how much fun the sailing was, I almost cried...
You were launching and retrieving that size/weight boat and trailer with an ol' fairly lightweight 2 wheel drive car?? How's that work out for ya? Well I hope!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:23 PM   #20
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
You were launching and retrieving that size/weight boat and trailer with an ol' fairly lightweight 2 wheel drive car?? How's that work out for ya? Well I hope!
Yes, Art. We towed that thing, 2 tonnes all up, in and out of many boat ramps and all over the North Island of NZ, with just that Ford Fairmont Ghia, which had a limited slip diff, and I had air adjustable shocks added. The trailer just had over-ride type brakes, and only on the front wheels of the tandem set-up, yet we never had a scary moment, and there were a lot of quite steep sections encountered.

When we brought it over to Australia, under their incredibly anal regulations re towing, even though you have to look hard for a steep road, I was immediately advised it would have to have powered brakes to all four wheels to pass the roadworthy, and I had to get a special permit to tow it to the Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron precinct, where we just kept it rigged and ready to go, but never towed it anywhere as a consequence.

I think in many ways the authorities have gone a a bit overboard in these regulations. For example, I maintained then, and still do, that having the rear wheels of the trailer tandem free-wheeling was good insurance against a jack-knife, as it would keep the rig tracking true, even if, for some reason, you locked the brakes. The over-ride mechanism worked fine, and the car brakes never over-heated. It just took some commonsense to stay safe is all. By taking it slow, up and down, pulling over frequently to allow other traffic to pass. Got no end of thank you toots..! I guess, sadly, in this day and age, that's a commodity becoming a bit rare for many. Maybe it's an 'art', Art..?