I have a confession in these days

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you for all for listening to my confession and allowing me to no longer feel alone in my desires to sail.

Yet, my trawler takes all my time, energy and money at this point and getting a daysailor would take more energy than it might be worth....might have been able to do this when I was younger, but I can barely keep up with my boat and sometimes take her out to enjoy.

Maybe one day I might stretch beyond my limits again and cross the boundaries to buy a small sail boat.

But I do love and enjoy a trawler and wish that i had gone to a trawler sooner than i did.

Onward.

That is often heard. The reverse, from power cruiser [trawler if you will] to sail boat, is seldom to never heard. However, a really good motorsailer is at times preferred by both groups [types] of boaters!

That is often heard. The reverse, from power cruiser [trawler if you will] to sail boat, is seldom to never heard. However, a really good motorsailer is at times preferred by both groups [types] of boaters!

If I ever did choose to cruise across the oceans and the world, it would likely be in a very stout motorsailer! I am kinda fond of that Nordhavn 57 Motorsailer....

attachment.php

Boathealer I do love those Fisher Pilothouses!!!! The only one I have been on had twin Lehman 90s...how about that??!!!!

If I ever did choose to cruise across the oceans and the world, it would likely be in a very stout motorsailer! I am kinda fond of that Nordhavn 57 Motorsailer....

Cross in a 747. Rent boat upon arrival. Return in 747.

My age tends to point toward stated crossing, return and on site boat enjoyment! :ermm:

:rofl: :thumb:

While we're all Corona grounded here's a thought.

I also love to sail. We sailed our last boat, a Hylas 49' from Ft Lauderdale to Turkey and back and a bunch of other places (2006-2010). Those were the best 4 years of our lives. Now I am between boats (sold a Bayliner 4788 and waiting to close on a larger m/y). I am currently stranded in St Martin, Caribbean waiting out the passing of this virus before heading home to WA. I have used the time to check out local boats. In my doomsday scenario I could survive quite well for quite a long time on a 50ish foot sail yacht, and could pick a nice one up, with all the cruising gear (watermaker, solar, wind, SSB etc) for a song (Several good ones include an Alden, many Amels and some owner version Jeanneau DS's) I have been tempted to dump the M/y purchase and take delivery of another sailboat, run back down the Islands and eventually sail home. My wife believes that this feeling will pass and my sanity will return. We shall see.

The Nordhavn is a very competent boat and I have seen US boats as far from home as Turkey. Both my Atlantic crossings were in a 49' sailboat. I would not consider doing that in most motorboats I have seen. Maybe in a larger Nordhavn but 57 would be absolute minimum for me. It is quite frightening to be in very large seas with no sail to steady the boat. I do not think that stabs would have been much help in the weather we experienced.

A motorsailer is one of those things that is awesome in concept. Rather like a car that can motor in the water. The reality is that any motorsailer I have experienced is not very good at either discipline. Better to get a very good motor boat or sail boat, than a compromise that doesnt sail well or motor well.

Just my opinions, yours may differ ~A.

For cruising and live aboard you simply cannot beat a trawler. For boating fun you can cannot beat a small daysailer. Nothing better than sailing around an anchorage at cocktail time. Simply buy a trawler large enough to carry your day sailer. Yes you still need a good powered dinghy so get a really nice trawler! Easy solution!
Actually Tingum, we did that once, but only once. If you look back to my post #18, on that particular trip we took the mast and sail of our tender, which was a Tinker Tramp. Brilliant wee vessel, made in Auckland under licence from the UK. That's the mast, wrapped up in the sail laying along the starboard side of the yacht.

Well to cut a long story short, the one time we decided to do just that - sail around the anchorage at cocktail time, it was such a damned palavar rigging the mast and sail up from the swim step, that we only did it that once. But the whole cruise it was a nuisance taking up that deck space.

So, even when over 20 years later, we were still using that incredible little 9' inflatable as a tender to our CHB34, (much faded), the mast was what became the pole holding up the Airbreeze wind genny. I felt good we had found a use for it after all those years. :D

Attachments

• C8CC36B1-CA66-4C02-BA6A-A1319C2DC92E.jpg
    C8CC36B1-CA66-4C02-BA6A-A1319C2DC92E.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 7CE12259-3AE0-4792-8B65-04534250DB86.jpg
    7CE12259-3AE0-4792-8B65-04534250DB86.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 23
. It is quite frightening to be in very large seas with no sail to steady the boat. I do not think that stabs would have been much help in the weather we experienced. ~A.

Not sure where you’re coming from here. MotorSAILOR has sails to steady the boat. And not sure if you’re aware...but Nordhavn makes a motorSAILER at 57 Feet. And I will defer to you as I do not have the experience you do. I have certainly lusted after those Hylas sailboats though!!!???

The Nordhavn is a very competent boat and I have seen US boats as far from home as Turkey........The reality is that any motorsailer I have experienced is not very good at either discipline. Better to get a very good motor boat or sail boat, than a compromise that doesnt sail well or motor well.
Just my opinions, yours may differ ~A.

Alan, I suspect that's why Baker specifically mentioned the Nordhavn 57 - (actually I think it's called the 56, but whatever), the point is that it is not really that kind of compromise. It is essentially set up as an excellent ocean-going sailboat, (we downunder would call it a yacht), but it has the motor and associated fittings also of a damn well-powered and comfortable trawler as well.

https://www.yachtingmagazine.com/nordhavn-56-motorsailer-0/

I started out as a sailor in the 60's as a kid. Sailed mostly day sailors, cats and board boats. El Toros, C-Larks, Thistle, Lightning, Star, Hobies, Lasers, Windriders.

Added outboard boats in the early 80's to pursue salmon.

Bought 34' Mainship in the late 80's to start cruising and the 40' Bluewater in 2000.

Always had a day sailor or cat to work out sailing bug.

As soon as I can find a used one - one of these would be a blast.

Look at some of the videos on YouTube - UFO sailboat

Attachments

• 02-ufo.jpg
    02-ufo.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 13.51.06.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 13.51.06.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 17
I started out as a sailor in the 60's as a kid. Sailed mostly day sailors, cats and board boats. El Toros, C-Larks, Thistle, Lightning, Star, Hobies, Lasers, Windriders.

Added outboard boats in the early 80's to pursue salmon.

Bought 34' Mainship in the late 80's to start cruising and the 40' Bluewater in 2000.

Always had a day sailor or cat to work out sailing bug.

As soon as I can find a used one - one of these would be a blast.

Look at some of the videos on YouTube - UFO sailboat
This foil thing has really revolutionised sailing fast. Spectacular enough when the AM boats became foiling cats. Now, for the next cup, just next year (coronial virus willin') the AM will be sailed using foiling monohulls..! Think impossible. Not on your Nellie...
https://asa.com/news/2017/07/12/foiling-monos-next-americas-cup/
Below is a real demo, but the AM boats will be scaled up versions of 75'
https://www.sail-world.com/news/209449/Brits-release-video-of-Am-Cup-test-boat-in-Solent

Not sure where you’re coming from here. MotorSAILOR has sails to steady the boat. And not sure if you’re aware...but Nordhavn makes a motorSAILER at 57 Feet. And I will defer to you as I do not have the experience you do. I have certainly lusted after those Hylas sailboats though!!!������

You are right! I completely missed the SAILOR part of motor sailor! :angel:

I would like to put it down to rum, but I have been off the rum for a week! Apologies to all.

~A

Alan, I suspect that's why Baker specifically mentioned the Nordhavn 57 - (actually I think it's called the 56, but whatever), the point is that it is not really that kind of compromise. It is essentially set up as an excellent ocean-going sailboat, (we downunder would call it a yacht), but it has the motor and associated fittings also of a damn well-powered and comfortable trawler as well.

https://www.yachtingmagazine.com/nordhavn-56-motorsailer-0/

Many thanks for this information. I am now feverishly looking up the M/S N56' currently on Yachtworld (5602). Once you get over the odd look, I agree she is a very competent platform.

I have a sailboat in addition to my power boat, and hop between the two. Slow power boat, fast sailboat. Works for me. IMG_20190524_165256364.jpeg

This foil thing has really revolutionised sailing fast. Spectacular enough when the AM boats became foiling cats. Now, for the next cup, just next year (coronial virus willin') the AM will be sailed using foiling monohulls..! Think impossible. Not on your Nellie...
https://asa.com/news/2017/07/12/foiling-monos-next-americas-cup/
Below is a real demo, but the AM boats will be scaled up versions of 75'
https://www.sail-world.com/news/209449/Brits-release-video-of-Am-Cup-test-boat-in-Solent

I can not wait to see the AC75 in action. The foiling cats were exciting enough but foiling monohulls is something completely different. A lot more difficult keeping the hull up.

Test sailed a friends foiling Moth and it was a blast once up on the foils. It was hard to keep it balanced and trimmed compared to a Windrider foiling tri.

Attachments

• m157_crop169014_1024x576_proportional_1534495960141A.jpg
    m157_crop169014_1024x576_proportional_1534495960141A.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 23
Change of perception

Years ago I set up to buy my first boat thinking about a hunter 30. My very smart brother-in-law told me I was not the sailboat type and suggested i charter first. Chatered a :37 foot Mariner for one week.
After watching Nantucket grow larger by eighths of an inch over hours of sailing I bought a 33’ powerboat

We just sold our sailboat last week. Only a few months into the trawler life, but I am holding onto my trusty old sunfish just in case...

https://millimeter.org/

I have an El Toro now, but like these as well. I have not seen one in the water in Everett but I have seen them down in Richmond CA.

I have never understood the nature of the apparent conflict between sailing and motor boating. I grew up on boats, all kinds from heavy workboats to Lido 14's. They're all good, except when they're not. From whence arises this conflict? I'm 68, and happy to have the trawler for it's space and comfort, but I also love to sail and admire beautiful and classic sailboat lines the same as I do classic or beautiful motor boat lines. No difference to me. I will remain perplexed about people who infer some sort of primal difference between 2 imaginary worlds. It's all the same to me. It's just boating.

I have never understood the nature of the apparent conflict between sailing and motor boating. ....It's all the same to me. It's just boating.

Me too! There is nothing so magical as a passage underway under sail on a beam reach in frisky conditions And nothing so comfortable as a cozy day at the helm, motoring reliably at a known pace on a motor yacht.

Could the Nordhavn 56 M/S be both? I guess someone has to take the plunge and let us know.

I have never understood the nature of the apparent conflict between sailing and motor boating. all the same to me. It's just boating.

To me, it is just good nature teasing. Never, to the best of my knowledge, have there been shots fired. Maybe some arguments about who has the right of way.... but, these are the same arguments power boat operator have between other power boat operators.

My advice if you are a power boat operator, dont mingle in a sailboat race.

If you have a question about a certain situation, call them by radio.

Remember what we were taught in diver's ed? 'You only have the right of way if someone gives it to you.' and 'yes, you could be right, dead right.' Same way with boating.

If you have a question about a certain situation, call them by radio.

There is a flaw with this. The majority of sailboaters do not monitor their radios. It is extremely rare that they answer a radio query.

While we're all Corona grounded here's a thought.

I also love to sail. We sailed our last boat, a Hylas 49' from Ft Lauderdale to Turkey and back and a bunch of other places (2006-2010). Those were the best 4 years of our lives. Now I am between boats (sold a Bayliner 4788 and waiting to close on a larger m/y). I am currently stranded in St Martin, Caribbean waiting out the passing of this virus before heading home to WA. I have used the time to check out local boats. In my doomsday scenario I could survive quite well for quite a long time on a 50ish foot sail yacht, and could pick a nice one up, with all the cruising gear (watermaker, solar, wind, SSB etc) for a song (Several good ones include an Alden, many Amels and some owner version Jeanneau DS's) I have been tempted to dump the M/y purchase and take delivery of another sailboat, run back down the Islands and eventually sail home. My wife believes that this feeling will pass and my sanity will return. We shall see.
I think thats a sound plan....

There is a flaw with this. The majority of sailboaters do not monitor their radios. It is extremely rare that they answer a radio query.

Agreed. Some are good and have a remote mic at the helm or keep a handheld there, but many only have a radio in the cabin, so even if it's on, they probably won't hear you from the helm.

Remember what we were taught in diver's ed? 'You only have the right of way if someone gives it to you.' and 'yes, you could be right, dead right.' Same way with boating.

"Here lies the body of one Michael O'Day

He died defending his 'right of way'

Mike was right... dead right... as he sailed [motored] along

But... Michael's just as dead as if he'd been wrong"!! :facepalm: :eek: :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom