Old 03-24-2020, 07:34 PM   #21

City: Long Beach
Vessel Name: Checkmate
Vessel Model: GB 42
I love sailing, but for long trips a typical trawler, length compared, will be more comfortable and liveable. A trawler will typically have a wider beam and more living area. If you are crossing big open water the stability of a big heavy keel would be preferred for safety, IMHO.

When I discussed my plans to do an inside passage trip with a long time sailing friend he said hands down a trawler was the best choice. YMMV.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:55 PM   #22
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
I honestly thought I would miss sailing when I made the switch. I made it 21 years ago at the ripe old age of 33. I really don't miss it. I realize it is the most sensible boat or ocean passagemaking. But man, the comfort of a powerboat is hard to beat.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:17 PM   #23
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
Hey, ASD, my mini-rant wasn’t for you. I wrote it earlier this morning and it didn’t send due to a bad connection. When I finally got to better service, off it went. By then, you had posted. Sorry.
No worries LOL To tell the truth: I have never been on a sail boat let alone one with sails up!!!
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:58 PM   #24
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
I still own a sailboat. In fact, a bigger sailboat than the trawler. They really aren't the same sport (or past time, or whatever) at all. There is nothing a trawler can do remotely equivalent to the feeling of heeling over and charging upwind as the motor goes silent. The trawler is more like driving a Class A motorhome on I80.

A big part of usability and comfort depends on where you live (and sail). I had a sailboat on SF Bay for 15 years, ran the motor about 40 hours in those 15 years, filled the fuel tank once while I owned it. Almost like the trades here, dependable wind every day in season and no rain to hide from. Conversely, a sailboat in the PNW is not quite useless, but close. That's where I keep the trawler. Even then occasionally (very occasionally) I regret the ability to run easily and safely outside of Vancouver Island, or outside of the Inside Passage. The talk of comfort on the trawler is conditioned on sheltered water or flat calm. With 26 knots on the Van Isle west coast, I'm MUCH more comfortable on the sailboat (while traveling quite a bit faster).

DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:31 AM   #25
Guru

City: Boston Area
Find a friend with a sailboat. Ask him to take you out sailing when its 38 degrees and raining. (You may have to do all the work, as he will be sheltered below where its warm and dry.) Do this once every 4 years or as needed. This should keep this silly afliction under control.
Benthic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:48 AM   #26
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
Find a friend with a sailboat. Ask him to take you out sailing when its 38 degrees and raining. (You may have to do all the work, as he will be sheltered below where its warm and dry.) Do this once every 4 years or as needed. This should keep this silly afliction under control.
Or have your friend take you out on a good day and enjoy being afflicted.
Attached Thumbnails
6BD122DD-2456-4504-8424-0E1014D7B5CA.jpeg  
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:43 AM   #27
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Just another example of all boats are a compromise and many, many subsets of sailing or motoring.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:51 AM   #28

City: Green Turtle Cay/Western NC
For cruising and live aboard you simply cannot beat a trawler. For boating fun you can cannot beat a small daysailer. Nothing better than sailing around an anchorage at cocktail time. Simply buy a trawler large enough to carry your day sailer. Yes you still need a good powered dinghy so get a really nice trawler! Easy solution!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:55 AM   #29
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
For every boat and it's possible uses there are countless opinions...none that will ever convince someone else with a different vision or excitement/comfort level.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:07 AM   #30

City: Central Tennessee
Vessel Name: boatless
Thank you for all for listening to my confession and allowing me to no longer feel alone in my desires to sail.

Yet, my trawler takes all my time, energy and money at this point and getting a daysailor would take more energy than it might be worth....might have been able to do this when I was younger, but I can barely keep up with my boat and sometimes take her out to enjoy.

Maybe one day I might stretch beyond my limits again and cross the boundaries to buy a small sail boat.

But I do love and enjoy a trawler and wish that i had gone to a trawler sooner than i did.

Onward.
kokopelliTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:59 AM   #31
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopelliTim View Post
Thank you for all for listening to my confession and allowing me to no longer feel alone in my desires to sail.

Yet, my trawler takes all my time, energy and money at this point and getting a daysailor would take more energy than it might be worth....might have been able to do this when I was younger, but I can barely keep up with my boat and sometimes take her out to enjoy.

Maybe one day I might stretch beyond my limits again and cross the boundaries to buy a small sail boat.

But I do love and enjoy a trawler and wish that i had gone to a trawler sooner than i did.

Onward.
That is often heard. The reverse, from power cruiser [trawler if you will] to sail boat, is seldom to never heard. However, a really good motorsailer is at times preferred by both groups [types] of boaters!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:57 AM   #32
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
You could charter this. We saw it several times last summer in BC and SE Alaska. We had to pull over in the Wrangell Narrows to let it pass us. A very beautiful boat.

https://www.charterworld.com/index.h...er=tamsen-2204
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:35 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
That is often heard. The reverse, from power cruiser [trawler if you will] to sail boat, is seldom to never heard. However, a really good motorsailer is at times preferred by both groups [types] of boaters!
If I ever did choose to cruise across the oceans and the world, it would likely be in a very stout motorsailer! I am kinda fond of that Nordhavn 57 Motorsailer....
Old 03-25-2020, 12:56 PM   #34
Guru

City: Looking
Vessel Name: --
Vessel Model: Between boats
m/v SCOUT Projects Page
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:06 PM   #35
Guru

City: Boston Area
would this work ??

https://www.sailingexcursions.net/
Benthic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:20 PM   #36

Boathealer I do love those Fisher Pilothouses!!!! The only one I have been on had twin Lehman 90s...how about that??!!!!
Old 03-25-2020, 04:43 PM   #37
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
If I ever did choose to cruise across the oceans and the world, it would likely be in a very stout motorsailer! I am kinda fond of that Nordhavn 57 Motorsailer....
Cross in a 747. Rent boat upon arrival. Return in 747.

My age tends to point toward stated crossing, return and on site boat enjoyment!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:54 PM   #38
Guru

City: Gig Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: MoonShadow
Vessel Model: Wendon Skylounge 72'
While we're all Corona grounded here's a thought.

I also love to sail. We sailed our last boat, a Hylas 49' from Ft Lauderdale to Turkey and back and a bunch of other places (2006-2010). Those were the best 4 years of our lives. Now I am between boats (sold a Bayliner 4788 and waiting to close on a larger m/y). I am currently stranded in St Martin, Caribbean waiting out the passing of this virus before heading home to WA. I have used the time to check out local boats. In my doomsday scenario I could survive quite well for quite a long time on a 50ish foot sail yacht, and could pick a nice one up, with all the cruising gear (watermaker, solar, wind, SSB etc) for a song (Several good ones include an Alden, many Amels and some owner version Jeanneau DS's) I have been tempted to dump the M/y purchase and take delivery of another sailboat, run back down the Islands and eventually sail home. My wife believes that this feeling will pass and my sanity will return. We shall see.
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:01 PM   #39
Guru

City: Gig Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: MoonShadow
Vessel Model: Wendon Skylounge 72'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
The Nordhavn is a very competent boat and I have seen US boats as far from home as Turkey. Both my Atlantic crossings were in a 49' sailboat. I would not consider doing that in most motorboats I have seen. Maybe in a larger Nordhavn but 57 would be absolute minimum for me. It is quite frightening to be in very large seas with no sail to steady the boat. I do not think that stabs would have been much help in the weather we experienced.

A motorsailer is one of those things that is awesome in concept. Rather like a car that can motor in the water. The reality is that any motorsailer I have experienced is not very good at either discipline. Better to get a very good motor boat or sail boat, than a compromise that doesnt sail well or motor well.

Just my opinions, yours may differ ~A.
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:29 PM   #40
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
For cruising and live aboard you simply cannot beat a trawler. For boating fun you can cannot beat a small daysailer. Nothing better than sailing around an anchorage at cocktail time. Simply buy a trawler large enough to carry your day sailer. Yes you still need a good powered dinghy so get a really nice trawler! Easy solution!
Actually Tingum, we did that once, but only once. If you look back to my post #18, on that particular trip we took the mast and sail of our tender, which was a Tinker Tramp. Brilliant wee vessel, made in Auckland under licence from the UK. That's the mast, wrapped up in the sail laying along the starboard side of the yacht.

Well to cut a long story short, the one time we decided to do just that - sail around the anchorage at cocktail time, it was such a damned palavar rigging the mast and sail up from the swim step, that we only did it that once. But the whole cruise it was a nuisance taking up that deck space.

So, even when over 20 years later, we were still using that incredible little 9' inflatable as a tender to our CHB34, (much faded), the mast was what became the pole holding up the Airbreeze wind genny. I felt good we had found a use for it after all those years.
Attached Thumbnails
C8CC36B1-CA66-4C02-BA6A-A1319C2DC92E.jpg   7CE12259-3AE0-4792-8B65-04534250DB86.jpg