I have a confession in these days

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That looks like a Fisher 44

I too grew up sailing and always enjoyed it, except for when the weather was bad. I started sailing a Sunfish at about 10 years old and progressed through the Lido 14, the O'day Javlin, a Gulf Coast 20, an O'Day 23, a Kittiwake 24, a Pearson 26, a Sea Sprite 28, and a Bristol 40 Yawl. The Bristol 40 was a great boat, but it was a lot of work to go out for a day. In bad weather, it really wasn't much fun. The dodger and Bimini top just don't provide all that much protection from cold and rain.

I switched to a Rosborough 35 trawler in 2012 and have had no regrets. We've used it more than we ever used the Bristol 40 because the trawler is just so darn easy. We've taken long coastal trips in the Rosborough and they were much more comfortable than the Bristol 40 ever was. Two things I really enjoy about the trawler are 1) having the combination of an enclosed pilot house and a flying bridge, and 2) air conditioning. On the Gulf Coast, the air conditioning makes a big difference.

We still have a Sunfish, but we get our real sailing fix from a Dyer Dhow 12 1/2. It rows, it motors, and it sails really well. It has two different mast step locations so it can be sailed as both a catboat and a sloop. It also has a spinnaker. The Dyer 12 1/2 works well as a dinghy for our trawler. Our 5 grandkids are learning to sail in the Dyer 12 1/2. We start them out with the catboat rig and as they get better, we switch them to the sloop rig. When they get good enough, we might even break out the spinnaker.

The folks at The Anchorage in Warren, Rhode Island that build Dyer boats have been building boats since 1930 and they do it well. Our Dyer 12 1/2 is a 1980 model and it's still going strong.

Attachments

• 2013-08-28  Puddle Duck - 5.jpg
    2013-08-28 Puddle Duck - 5.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 7
  • On the Good Ship Puddle Duck.jpg
    On the Good Ship Puddle Duck.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Dyer Dhow 12.5 Daysailer Line Drawing.jpg
    Dyer Dhow 12.5 Daysailer Line Drawing.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 13
Back
Top Bottom