Old 10-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #41
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Can't get old copy-picture to come out on this post. Anyway... this is what really began my addiction. If anyone wants to see it. Send email address via PM. Pretty sure I can email the photo of duplicate sister ship.

Often cruising 2 to 4 weeks; NY to Boston and in between - did that in summer for years as family of five - three young boys:

We loved her! Original picts are at brother's in a barn, Thomaston ME.

1948 23' Chris Craft Express. Single 115 hp Chrysler Crown. With light load, cruised in mid teens on full plane and she could scoot in the low 20's at high rpm. Galley with pump-up alcohol two burner stove. Sink with hand-pump faucet... 20 gal water tank. Manual direct flush head (after all it was in the 1950's - lol). "Ice Box", no shower... swim with bar of soap. Tight quarters dinette. V berth with center insert. Full width cushioned rear seat in cockpit. Dad built storage boxes on either side of cockpit with fold up additions to enable cushioned kids-size beds. Full cockpit canvas. Engine box in center between fold down pilot and shot gun seats. Canvas top... pop was 6'4" so standing he saw over windshield and would often flap back his corner of top.

Man - those were just about the tightest family times we ever had. Nothing beats those memories... however, future boat memories while growing up are really special too!! And, today's forming memories ain't half bad either. Boat addiction can run deep!

Happy Boat-Addiction Daze! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:33 PM   #42
Veteran Member

City: Farmington, NM
Vessel Name: UFISH2
Vessel Model: Cheer Men 38' PT Performance Europa
Boats, trawlers, and tugs? Are you serious? I've got a Ph.D. in Psychology. Been counseling for 25 years. Worked in in-patient psych units, day psych units, been in private practice, and schools. There is hope for the alcoholic, hope for the drug addict, hope for the sex addict, hope for the gambling addict, but NO hope for the boat addict. Owned 5 at one time myself. I do find great comfort in the fact there are more out there with the same addiction.

Why did I just pass my laptop to my wife to show there are others out there and I'm not a alone? Why did she just roll her eyes? Where's that mother-in-law of mine? I could show her too!

Unfortunately only pigs get cured. Wish I had better news to share.
ufish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:40 PM   #43
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
What a great story and great memories. What my dad would half-comically call "golden memory times". He tried to make those happen, sometimes it worked, sometimes not. Just goes to show we don't really *need* that 11 ton boat to make a similar run from Newport to New York - but we might buy it anyway. How in the world did CC ever squash that much into a 23?
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:58 PM   #44

I don't know about anyone else, but I keep getting the bug for an additional boat of some sort. The thought of selling what we have has not occurred to any of the crew.

Not intending to hijack a thread, but do any of we trawler owners have a suggestion for scratching the itch of a small fun boat that doesn't require the "love" our passions require?

I get that the 2 footitis model (pun intended) is not applicable, but less than 16 foot and fun to work ratio as high as possible.
SaltyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:02 AM   #45
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDog View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but I keep getting the bug for an additional boat of some sort. The thought of selling what we have has not occurred to any of the crew.

Not intending to hijack a thread, but do any of we trawler owners have a suggestion for scratching the itch of a small fun boat that doesn't require the "love" our passions require?

I get that the 2 footitis model (pun intended) is not applicable, but less than 16 foot and fun to work ratio as high as possible.
A small center console like a Whaler or Carolina Skiff or Edgewater or similar or a Rib but one intended for just play that you're not going to attempt to wash every use and maintain in pristine condition.

or

A small sailboat like a Hobie.

or

Kayaks. Hobie has even introduced an angler's Kayak.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:00 AM   #46
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Or... a Crestliner 14'8" four seater tow-behind with 50 hp Johnson that cruises in mid 20's with wife and me - at 20 +/- mpg... and can hit 39 + mph with just me at WOT.

Can we spell - Gunkholen FUN!!

Happy Runabout Daze! - Art
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1954.jpg   DSCN1959.jpg   WC - A-OK!_Delta Canal 100_0435.jpg  
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:11 PM   #47
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Fellow addicts. Stop beating yourselves up. I'm quite surprised no-one has mentioned the OBVIOUS , yes OBVIOUS solution. Mr. IR alluded to it in post #22 but didn't quite nail it. I'm also surprised Mr. u2 (the shrink?) didn't pick up on the solution as well (remind me never to check into a "facility" in NM)...
I guess i'm the ONLY sane one here (not surprising-I've known this for years)...and yes it is a Cheap Trick...
Old 10-11-2014, 04:44 PM   #48
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Greetings Mr RTF.

We are sooo impressed you have not been afflicted by 2feetitis, 3feetitis, 4feetitis.....nth feetitis. We are equally amazed you have not presented with liveaboarditis or oceanpassageitis. Pray tell, please share your secret snake oil with the forum. Does it have FDA approval? We need the CURE.....now....before we surrender.....as suggested. Or are you suggesting surrender will miraculously save us? Inquiring minds woud like to know!
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:26 PM   #49
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Do we want a larger boat than our 34? Not really. It's a good size for 2, can handle 4 in a pinch, is very fishable, is very seaworthy for our waters and can be easily single-handed. It's ownership, maintenance and operating costs don't break the bank. It's not fast, but in retirement, fast is not the objective. It's comfortable and fun. It fits us 'just right'!
I agree. You've got the perfect boat for you.