City: Jax
Vessel Name: JoSea
Vessel Model: Bertram 58 MY
This might do the trick.
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2018, 01:07 PM   #83

City: bellingham
boat search

You don't need to spend that much. https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...?lang=en&cc=us
clive1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:19 PM   #84

City: Hilton Head Island
Vessel Name: Almost Home
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42 FB
Why so much HP on NT 42?

I have an NT 42 with 540 HP. Two good reasons:

1) cruise all day at 8 1/2 kts (without tide push or pull) at 1400 RPM and 5.9 gal per hour. i.e. very efficient, comfortable cruising. Can always back down to 1200 RPM to extend range and/or improve fuel economy.

2) sometimes when it gets a little to sloppy out there, it’s nice to have the option to kick up to 15 kts and put the roiling seas behind you. Always plan for safe, calm passages, but the weather doesn’t always cooperate.
chaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:50 PM   #85
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Maybe my Willard 36 sedan which will be for sale next year.
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:53 PM   #86
Veteran Member

City: Cary
Vessel Name: None
Vessel Model: None
DeFever 44 or 44+5 (49 CPMY)

Wide side decks with high rails
Port and starboard doors, plus door to the sundeck aft
Walk in engine room with workbench and easy access to everything
Horseshoe Galley up and aft with pass thru window to sundeck
Washer / Dryer in Utility room (master)
Separate shower (master)
Twin (naturally aspirated) 135's (perkins or lehmans pre-2005 models)
Generator
900 / 1100 gals fuel (44+5)
350 gals fresh water
40 or 50 gals black water
Plenty of room to install a watermaker
Room to install solar panels and wind generator
Dingy deck (actually there are 11 decks with the 44+5 (49 CPMY)
Huge storage space everywhere (44+5 has lazzarette storage as well)
We lost bell and a small Christmas Tree on ours (49). Never found the tree.
Full displacement boats. 44 usually takes stabilizers, the 44+5 doesn't really need them with the longer keel and flat after section
Won't get cabin fever in these boats
Plus there is so much more.

The DeFever 49 RPH is a much bigger boat. Remember they cube dimensions on boats. That's why the 44+5 is stated as such. It's a 44 foot boat (cube) with a five foot extension on the stern (+5).

The 45 RPH (now 46) and the 49 CPMY (cockpit motor yacht) is now 50 foot and even that one foot makes a huge difference in internal volume of space.

Bob
HypnoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:04 PM   #87
Veteran Member

DeFever 44 or 44+5 (49 CPMY)

One more very important item and that is the large "Seachest" with all the below the waterline thru-hull fittings going into one tall box (seachest).

Most have a removable port on top for quick cleaning. All have removable Plexiglas lids (never removed ours in 6 years). All have a grate at the opening at the hull. Has room to add more thru-hulls (we did add one for water-maker, but never installed).
Old 10-19-2018, 02:06 PM   #88
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieyed47 View Post
Nice boat at a great price.
There’s no pics of the hull but it is advertised as a semi displacement hull. It seems similar to the Nordic tug.

I’d much prefer a full displacement hull when things get really ugly out there.
In my view, a hull with flat sections and squared edges creates unpredictability in rough water. Once you get past the point of the good initial stability, you are at the mercy of the power of the wave.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:47 PM   #89
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Someone come up with the cash and you can buy my boat so I can start of on another boat. SMIRK

I dont know anyone who would turn down a good offer on their boat. LOL
Old 10-19-2018, 02:57 PM   #90
Veteran Member

Albin 40 or 48 North Sea Cutter

The Albin 40 or 48 North Sea Cutter has the Hunt designed hull of the North Sea Patrol boats with the "all weather" hull designs. The Tournament Express series has the same hull. There are a couple other boats out there with this hull. Pretty much rated capable of seas at the length of the hull.

For us though, since we're ICW folks and GreatLoopers (completed 2011), I think our next boat will be the American Tug 34.

Bob
Old 10-19-2018, 04:17 PM   #91
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypnoBob View Post
The Albin 40 or 48 North Sea Cutter has the Hunt designed hull of the North Sea Patrol boats with the "all weather" hull designs. The Tournament Express series has the same hull. There are a couple other boats out there with this hull. Pretty much rated capable of seas at the length of the hull.

For us though, since we're ICW folks and GreatLoopers (completed 2011), I think our next boat will be the American Tug 34.

Bob
Bob, I have an AT34. I added 5 cabinets to get a bit more storage space, primarily in the galley area. I am still trying to figure out ventilation over the stove.
When you are serious about your shopping, contact me and you can come and inspect my boat, for ideas.
I have yet to figure out storage under the berth. Right now, I have to strain my legs and back to raise the mattress and access this area. There has to be an easier way.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:42 PM   #92

City: Seattle
Seahorse Marine Diesel Duck 462 owed one since 2006 and don’t leave home without it .
Johnmili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:14 AM   #93

City: Tustin CA
Not sure its the right boat or the right place to ask?

I have a Grand Banks Europa 36 twin SP 135 engines that sank. No damage to the hull, inside or out. It came up with a polish on the decks. My question is: as I am doing a full rebuild of the boat are there things that I could do to make the boat more seaworthy, similar to the boats mentioned above. Larger Keel. Balast weight. Smaller windows, Stabalizers, Outrigers, Any improvements to make the boat survive bad water. Thanks for any help.
Bill Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:26 AM   #94
Veteran Member

City: Holland, Michigan
Vessel Name: Emerald Isle
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 32
Engine size

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrawlerMI View Post
Thanks to all but one poster!! I really appreciate your thoughtful responses. Boats suggested are all good candidates. I do have one question, the Nordic 42 linked has a 635 HP cummins engine. Why on earth would anyone need 635 horses on a 42? Beats me that's for sure! For the one poster, sorry I upset you, if you don't like my post(s) just ignore them, you really don't need to reply, I won't mind.
To me, there are probably 2 important reasons to "oversize" the engine: The main one is that assuming the engine, prop and boat are matched to allow maximum speed at maximum hp, The oversize engine will allow cruising at a much lower rpm and noise level. Mine will top out at 2600, but I normally cruise at a very relaxed rpm between 1200 and 1400. The second is that if you are anxious to get someplace or make progress against currents or tides you can do it. It gives you much more flexibility.

The bigger engine weighs more and costs more to purchase, but those are about the only disadvantages.

All just my opinions.
garycasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:22 AM   #95
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hayes View Post
I have a Grand Banks Europa 36 twin SP 135 engines that sank. No damage to the hull, inside or out. It came up with a polish on the decks. My question is: as I am doing a full rebuild of the boat are there things that I could do to make the boat more seaworthy, similar to the boats mentioned above. Larger Keel. Balast weight. Smaller windows, Stabalizers, Outrigers, Any improvements to make the boat survive bad water. Thanks for any help.
Bill,

Welcome to TF. You might find better response to your questions by starting a new thread. And feel free to stop by the Welcome Mat to introduce yourself to the gang.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:25 AM   #96

City: Port Richey
Vessel Name: Olive Oyl
Vessel Model: Scout 30, Caribiana 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrawlerMI View Post
Boats suggested are all good candidates. I do have one question, the Nordic 42 linked has a 635 HP cummins engine. Why on earth would anyone need 635 horses on a 42? Beats me that's for sure!

635 hp on a Nordic Tug 42 is not overpowered. It has a semi-displacement hull & the more HP you throw at it the faster it will go. That kind of HP in a full displacement hull like a Krogen 42 would make no sense. If you want advice on choosing the right boat you need to at least settle on full or semi-displacement first.
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:48 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Hi Dan, It looks like they added gas/spring lifts to the plywood base under the mattress to access the storage on the new AT Waypoint 36.

We use similar gas/spring lifts for the engine box on our Albin, our Jeep uses them for the aft hatch, as do most vehicles.

You might contact American Tug and ask them to send you a pair (along with the hardware and mounting specs. If not, you can get a pair from OEM Gas Springs : Attwood Marine. Or, your local auto parts store (once you know the extended and collapsed lengths and pounds of pressure).
Old 10-20-2018, 12:53 PM   #98
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypnoBob View Post
Hi Dan, It looks like they added gas/spring lifts to the plywood base under the mattress to access the storage on the new AT Waypoint 36.

We use similar gas/spring lifts for the engine box on our Albin, our Jeep uses them for the aft hatch, as do most vehicles.

You might contact American Tug and ask them to send you a pair (along with the hardware and mounting specs. If not, you can get a pair from OEM Gas Springs : Attwood Marine. Or, your local auto parts store (once you know the extended and collapsed lengths and pounds of pressure).
I wrote and asked for the plans. No response. Per the gas-springs and ply wood platform, those were my thoughts too.
The gas-springs would have to be mighty hefty LOL
Old 10-20-2018, 07:05 PM   #99
Guru

City: Fleming Island, Fl
Vessel Name: Sakura Perdido
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
If you only need a range of 750 nm then I’m assuming you aren’t doing long distance blue water cruising. So my question is, why do you want a boat that will survive that kind of weather? Just don’t go out. Or, buy a well built ocean cruising sailboat. I love my trawler but I intentionally don’t use it in those conditions.
Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:56 PM   #100
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I give you criteria, you select the Boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garycasey View Post
To me, there are probably 2 important reasons to "oversize" the engine: The main one is that assuming the engine, prop and boat are matched to allow maximum speed at maximum hp, The oversize engine will allow cruising at a much lower rpm and noise level. Mine will top out at 2600, but I normally cruise at a very relaxed rpm between 1200 and 1400. The second is that if you are anxious to get someplace or make progress against currents or tides you can do it. It gives you much more flexibility.

The bigger engine weighs more and costs more to purchase, but those are about the only disadvantages.

All just my opinions.

Gary, if you are referring to full displacement boats, your first reason for a bit of extra horsepower makes good sense.

The extra power does not increase your potential top speed when running against tides or currents. You will still be limited by your hull speed through the water so it won’t increase your speed over ground.

Extra power may however, increase your SOG when powering against a big headwind.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote