Old 08-04-2021, 01:34 PM   #1

City: Bucksport, Maine
Vessel Name: T/T Whistful
Vessel Model: Boat US 12' Inflatable
I found another "bargain"...

43' Defever, 1979.
Twin Lehman 120s.

Don't know much else at this point, waiting on info from the seller on engines and other info.

Has 4 gouges in the hull, 2 on each side, ranging from 4 inches to 24 inches in length.

Seller is asking $11k, but write up says "THIS BOAT MUST GO"..."Seller says bring ALL OFFERS".

Think I'm going from a ToDo list that was 40' long to one that's 43' long
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 04:00 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Keep us posted. Any pictures?
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 06:04 PM   #3
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
With out a survey and sea trial I have no way of knowing if its a bargain or a liability. Gouged glass is easy to repair. Engine condition would be my primary concern.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 06:54 PM   #4

City: Marathon, FL & On Loop
Vessel Name: Maka Honu
Vessel Model: Ta Yang, 42 Tayana PH Trawler 1976
Imo bargain or not is revealed once use discloses boat condition in all its systems and cost to make required repairs is known.
bgillroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:44 PM   #5
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
HOw do you plan to use the boat? 11K for a 43' dock queen is a steal! That boat will not hang around very long!
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 05:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
HOw do you plan to use the boat? 11K for a 43' dock queen is a steal! That boat will not hang around very long!
I agree...it may be a very inexpensive 2br waterfront condo. Won't know until we get more details and then go take a look.
As for use?...we're not looking for a Loop boat at this point. We're retired, or close to it, and we live on the coast of Maine with an abundance of beautiful coves and harbors she could sit in.
At that price, if it could be our "camp" and was capable of day trips around Penobscot Bay, we'd be happy, and we could address maintenance/restoration over time.

For me, I think engine info is the key. All I know at this point is that it came into the yard under it's own power, but don't even know when that happened. I think it was recently, but don't know for sure.

How big of a mooring would I need?...displacement is 44,000lbs...

Will post pics and info when I know more...

Lob
Old 08-05-2021, 10:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

City: North Andover
I'd be inclined to want a single with a prop basket in your home waters, but maybe that's just me..
Peter Keating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 01:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Keating View Post
I'd be inclined to want a single with a prop basket in your home waters, but maybe that's just me..
We do have our share of lobster trap warps to gather if you're not careful, for sure.
In Boothbay, you can almost walk across the bouys.

My current plan is to head down Sunday and get more info. Selling agent returned my call...doesn't know alot about her other than she came to the yard this spring under her own power. Said she'd been "upriver" in the water for the past 3yrs...very senior owner, thought his kids would want to take over, but they don't. So it's on the hard, and it's blocking off part of the yard it's in, and it needs to be gone.

It's had water intrusion around the windows, especially in the aft head, but that's all generally fixable.

Will post pics when I get back.

Lob
Old 08-05-2021, 05:47 PM   #9
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Sounds interesting. Could be a diamond in the rough, or it could be a massive money drain. Only way to find out is to go see it.

Can't wait to hear how you make out!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 05:02 AM   #10

Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Sounds interesting. Could be a diamond in the rough, or it could be a massive money drain. Only way to find out is to go see it.

Can't wait to hear how you make out!
Heading down tomorrow, early, so should have some pics to post when I get back.

Lob
Old 08-07-2021, 11:24 AM   #11
Guru

City: Tampa, FL
I will just say that the most expensive boat I have ever owned was one that I thought was a "bargain" when I bought it!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 12:31 PM   #12
Guru

City: Corpus Christi
Vessel Model: Willard Vega Horizon
Deferred maintenance on a boat -- lack of use, or it was only used as a Marina Condo -- a bargain -- usually means that much has to be done -- $$$ will have to be spent.
HTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 02:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTurner View Post
Deferred maintenance on a boat -- lack of use, or it was only used as a Marina Condo -- a bargain -- usually means that much has to be done -- $$$ will have to be spent.
Absolutely. Anyone that's spent even a small amount of time around boats, in particular Taiwanese trawlers, knows pretty much what $11k gets.

The windows have leaked, the teak walls will all be stained, the parquet floor is likely in tough shape...might still have iron tanks. I think the side decks have been pulled..."sun" deck is still teak, but appears to be intact.

So we'll see,

Lob
Old 08-08-2021, 01:16 PM   #14

So drove to Kittery bright and early this morning and spent a few hours crawling/climbing around the boat.
No HUGE surprises...as I said above, 40+ year old trawlers all share many of the same issues, with ones that have had little or no maintenance of late being the worst.
Here's a link for the pics:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UKHYf28M9FVYwwW7A

Let me know if there are any issues getting there.

I informed the agent that:

1) If I was single, I'd put an offer on the boat today.
and
2) I'm not single, but if I put an offer on the boat, I would be.

That being said...it's a shame to see this boat where it is and in the condition that it's in. If I had access to a spot for it, I'd consider stripping it for parts.
Agent believes that $6k and a plan to get it out of where it is within 2wks would stand a good chance of ending in a sale. The Lehmans are undoubtedly worth that, if you could deal with the rest of the boat.

Off the top of my head:
The Lehmans have roughly 3200 hrs on them. As you can see from the engine room pics, there are some new exhaust components.
Old dual refer in the galley should just be removed. There is an apartment -sized fridge there that I'm sure was used as a replacement, but the old iceboxes should probably just go.
Mast is in remarkably good shape, but one of the spreaders is broken. Not a major issue, and I was surprised it was in as good shape as it is.
No Sampson post, which seemed odd to me...but that's just me.

So anyone looking for a cheap project boat...this fits that bill.

Lob
Old 08-09-2021, 02:32 PM   #15

City: Aposentillo
Anything beyond parting her out would put most in the poorhouse, shame to see her in this state but economically totaled. The yard is hoping to avoid disposal fees me thinks...
Juggerknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 02:53 PM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Canby, Oregon & LaPaz, BCS, MX
Vessel Name: MV SeaStar
Vessel Model: 1969 DeFever-OBC 50' wood
Oh! What a shame! Hope someone rescues her. I'd love to have those teak refrigerator doors if she does get pieced out; ours were removed for RV Dometics.

Just FYI: She's model DF 77-43. Arthur DeFever commissioned 46 hulls to be built at YuChing Taiwan in 1977.
SeaStarDF50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 03:52 PM   #17

Agreegood ...

It was sad to go through her and take the pics.
IF there was a place to park her and take some time to do the work, she really could be a great boat.
The teak all looks bad, but in most, if not all cases, it's cosmetic, so if you have a good supply of teak plywood nearby, that's not too hard to take care of.
My biggest concern would be the tanks. They're original, and they're big...700gal total capacity. Our last trawler (34' Marine Trader DC) had black iron tanks...one let go 2yrs after we sold her...new owners ended up with a mess to deal with. So that would be one of the first major issues to deal with.

Engines looked to be in good shape, meaning I think they had been maintained fairly well over the years.

Lob