Old 06-09-2018, 07:34 PM   #81
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
running gear can be everything in grounding situations....its not ALWAYS advised to do anything right away or until you are sure damage is unlikely.

obviously different boats unground more easily than others.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:31 AM   #82
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
10 years means your %age-positive for occurrence potential is getting higher every day aboard!
Not true. Statistics doesn't work that way. His odds haven't increased for any given day or year.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:26 AM   #83
Veteran Member

City: Indian Harbour Beach
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 30 Rum Runner II
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotCharlie View Post
Red boat, yellow boat - heck, the insurance is cheap - buy both!

Yes, if you can't remember stuff very well like me.
George Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:25 AM   #84
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I think you did absolutely the right thing. That's why you have tow membership and by using a professional you reduced the probable damage and your stress. Yes, you could have done this or that and probably avoided, but for what reason other than pride. One the lake we'd often see boats with problems and ask if they were ok, and so calmly they'd say "fine, just relaxing while we wait for Boat US or Sea Tow." Amazing how much stress and panic was reduced. You'd see boats being towed and those in the boat were happily enjoying it like they were out for a Sunday ride.
BandB I could not agree more. Big Pass in Sarasota should be renamed prop job pass along with a few other spots in our area. To have the smarts to have towing service and then in those situations to just wait for them is spot on.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:17 AM   #85
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Not true. Statistics doesn't work that way. His odds haven't increased for any given day or year.
Sorry BB - But that's BS! Regarding culmination [see definition at post bottom] chances of anything happening given repeated attempts or chances taken.

If you drive once on the highway the chances are much less [rather than an ongoing period of highway driving] for an accident to eventually occur than if you, lets say, drive for a decade on the highway. Same as with boating and having some unwanted thing [grounding in this case] happening over a long period of repeat use time compared to a one-out time of boat use

If you do take it as a "new life" of driving on highway or going out in boat every single time you do so, and reset the %age-chance clock... then yes... the %age-chance begins all over again, each day. However the %age-chance mounts when you take all days into account. Again - "Culmination"

It is a lifetime of use [not one time of use] to which I apply my statement that %age-chance for a certain type of accident increases.

Happy Culminated/Long-Term %age-Chance Daze - Art

cul·mi·na·tion
ˌkəlməˈnāSH(ə)n/
noun

the highest or climactic point of something, especially as attained after a long time

MATH - WHAT DOES PERCENT CHANCE MEAN?

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:28 AM   #86
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
I think the odds do change and not in our favor. Our auto insurance for example, why does it make a jump when we reach a certain age, even though we have have not had an accident, not our fault. The expressed reason is because our reaction time increases and that's with a good set of brakes too.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:48 AM   #87
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
I think the odds do change and not in our favor. Our auto insurance for example, why does it make a jump when we reach a certain age, even though we have have not had an accident, not our fault. The expressed reason is because our reaction time increases and that's with a good set of brakes too.
No, the odds for any given day do not change. The cumulative odds do change. The statement Art made was that the odds for occurrence changed each day. The odds for occurrence on a day don't change, cumulative does.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:19 AM   #88
Art
Guru

Quote:
No, the odds for any given day do not change. The cumulative odds do change. The statement Art made was that the odds for occurrence changed each day. The odds for occurrence on a day don't change, cumulative does.
Using cumulative base... then your odds today on something repetitively done [day after day] are greater each new day than the odds were yesterday. Again, if you clear the odds %age board each and every day, then the odds do start again at "0" for each separate day.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:08 AM   #89
FF
Guru

All this translates to is if you play the lottery play the SAME numbers every time ,

you have a better (still microscopic) chance of winning
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:44 AM   #90
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
I was thinking of this very thread this weekend as I was sitting on the wrong side of a marker aground. Well, my first thought was complete confusion. "How the !@#$% am I aground in the middle of the channel!!" Obviously, I wasn't.

I was coming down the river from my marina. The same river, marina and markers I've travelled at night for many, many trips. The upper portion is all day marks. The red triangle was missing from the piling when heading down river. I heard a small 'gonk', to which I said "What the heck was that". No sooner, the boat silently slowed to a stop and I looked and I was in 2.4 feet of water. (Probably a bit less than 3.4 since the transducer is under water and there is no offset set on the display).

I realize my mistake and, and realize I have 1 more hour of a falling tide.

I quickly moved 400lbs of lead ballast from the bilge up to the bow, plus 2 coolers and the admiral. I launched the dinghy and tried to pull us off, but no luck. One of the folks in my marina passed and offered to tow us off. I then headed for an emegency haul and inspection.

I sanded about 3 feet of paint off of the keel and put a ding about half the size of a pinky finger, fingernail in one blad of the prop. Spun the shaft which remained true and the rudder was fine. After we re-launched, I went slowly through the rpm's up to redline and didn't feel any vibrations. I got LUCKY.

This was on our 22nd anniversary (Friday) and we were headed to Block Island, RI for the first trip of the year. Thankfully I didn't completely ruin our anniversary or our trip.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:52 AM   #91
TF Site Team

Since this thread is also about two boats. I'll add another. I hailed Boat US (Technically I hailed Vessel Assist, which I thought was what Boat US named their towing division), who never responded. Seatow responded and told me to try channel 8 rather than 16. I called 'vessel assist' on 8. No answer. Seatow responded saying "I don't know why he's not answering, I just spoke with him". Seatow gave me the tow operators phone number directly. I called him on his phone. He then said "Where are you from, because Vessel Assist is a West Coast thing". OK, so now I'm starting to wonder. Seatow knew what I meant. This guy could hear me and know what I meant, but was playing a semantics game with me. "BOAT US" tells me he can't get there for 45 - 60 minutes.

Along comes my friend 5 minutes later and offers to tug me off. I accept and within a minute, I'm free. I call "Boat US" to advise that I'm off. I then get a very condescending lecture over VHF. He then tells me he's only 2 minutes away from me. (Information which would have been helpful since 5-10 minutes early he was 45 - 60 minutes out. He tells me I need to stop and sign paperwork. I agree.

I stop, he pulls up and I sign. He then berates me for the next 5 minutes about how he's been sitting out there for 4 days with no calls. IT's not fair that he had to call another guy in to cover multiple calls at the same time and I wasted his time, blah, blah, blah.

I've been a BOAT US customer for 11 years. I'm considering whether to I should switch to yellow.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:16 AM   #92
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
"I quickly moved 400 lbs of lead ballast from the bilge up to the bow"

Man that's impressive. I'm off to the gym.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:31 AM   #93
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
"I quickly moved 400 lbs of lead ballast from the bilge up to the bow"

Man that's impressive. I'm off to the gym.
Depending on how sharp of a grade the shoals are... it just may be the bow that grounded most solidly. Best to take a sounding with long pole like a boat hook or so, before figuring where to move weight to alter the canter of boat in water for possiably backing out or getting towed out. Potential of placing 400 ++ lbs. in wrong end = lots o' work for negative benefit! Just sayen...
Old 06-11-2018, 10:10 AM   #94
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Depending on how sharp of a grade the shoals are... it just may be the bow that grounded most solidly. Best to take a sounding with long pole like a boat hook or so, before figuring where to move weight to alter the canter of boat in water for possiably backing out or getting towed out. Potential of placing 400 ++ lbs. in wrong end = lots o' work for negative benefit! Just sayen...
The keel at the stern is the deepest and I could see that my bow was moving from side to side, so I knew it was the stern that was hung, not the bow.

After hauling for inspection, I confirmed the only sanded paint was the sternmost 3 feet of the keel.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:07 AM   #95
Guru

Just for general consumption and not an aground posted.....

Often the easiest method iis to check your waterline to see which end is stuck....sometimes easier from another vessel than from onboard...but usually you can tell...

Sounds easy but often the skipper is rattled enough by being aground that small things get overlooked.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:14 PM   #96
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Just for general consumption and not an aground posted.....

Often the easiest method iis to check your waterline to see which end is stuck....sometimes easier from another vessel than from onboard...but usually you can tell...

Sounds easy but often the skipper is rattled enough by being aground that small things get overlooked.
Task #1 is to Assess the situation. Now, if you're in a dangerous position, you move fast. However, most of the time you have the opportunity to study things carefully. Launching the dinghy does two things for you. It allows you to check all around and it reduces weight. Don't make things worse than they already are.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:32 PM   #97
Guru

In places where the tidal range is 4 or more feet and falling in the middle 3 hours of the tide......generally you dont have but about 20 minutes till no matter what you do...you are waiting for the returning tide.

Even calling assistance towers unless less than 20 minutes away, is pretty iffy to get you off.

Once a tower spends more than about 15 minutes pulling, they better be really using prop wash to dig you out. Pulling often just builds a sand bar between you and deeper water.

I have seen less experienced captains build a bar that just lengthens the time you are aground.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:24 PM   #98
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
The keel at the stern is the deepest and I could see that my bow was moving from side to side, so I knew it was the stern that was hung, not the bow.

After hauling for inspection, I confirmed the only sanded paint was the sternmost 3 feet of the keel.
I see you had it handled! My post was just suggestion.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:57 PM   #99
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Remember, when entering a private channel, the buoys are reversed. On the initial approach into a private channel, coast and hunt for the channel banks. Once you find them, in relationship to the nav aids, you should be able to more forward with confidence.

I end up scratching my head when on the ICW and cross or have a navigable river cross (on the way to the ocean) or join into the ICW channel. There is, for me, more than a moment of confusion. I just go slow and keep an eye on the ICW nav/buoys and charts. If you are very lucky, you can follow a boat through. LOL
Old 04-09-2019, 05:11 AM   #100
Guru

Every private channel I can remember in the US is red right returning when entering marinas or private lagoons.

Some non USCG marked channels not leading to marinas but waterways where the direction away from the ocean may be debateble, could seem to be marked opposite.

Where channels cross the ICW, it's the yellow marks on ATON that become primary to staying on the ICW.