I bought a boat in Fiji sight unseen!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We actually finished everything on our long list yesterday. We taped hatches, added some ratchet straps to double secure dingy and crane, installed new mainsheet on mainsail, Greased the hydraulic attachment points on the stabilizers that were squeaking, washed the exterior, and cleaned the interior, and reinstalled the fuel flow meter that had been installed backwards from the direction of flow, and given us great stress and uncertainty on the trip from Fiji, as it was not reading accurately, and we didn't even know for sure how much fuel we started with since we couldn't get a strait answer from the previous owner. We tested the meter by running it into a 5 gallon gas can and it seems dead on now. We also know exactly how much each of the 5 tanks has in it now, so the next leg of the trip should be much less stressful on the fuel tracking. After finishing up our project list, and cleaning up the boat, I am feeling much better about it. I probably overpaid for what I got, and it will take a lot more of my time, money and energy, to get this boat in the shape I want it, than I thought it would, but at least I am feeling like there is light at the end of the tunnel now. She is going to be really nice when I get her all fixed up. The delivery Capitan, and engineer I hired for the delivery have worked out amazing. Especially the engineer for the last week and a half. He has been my right hand man helping me work through all this stuff 14 hours a day 7 days a week with a great attitude and zero wining. The extra set of skilled hands, and especially the moral support of having someone there with you made a huge difference in keeping my sanity and not getting completely overwhelmed.
I am flying back to Seattle today, and unfortunately will probably not get to do the trip from Hawaii to LA with the boat, as I need to get back to my family. The weather has been no good for the crossing ever since we got here. It is looking a little more promising in about a week, but we will see how the forecasts develop. The Capitan and engineer don't have too much to rush back to, as Covid has messed up both of their normal lives, so they are willing to hang out in Hawaii and surf and live on the boat unpaid for up to 3-4 more weeks and try and wait for a weather window. If we don't get the weather we need, plan B is to just leave the boat in Hawaii for the winter, then bring it directly to Seattle next spring. In some ways this might be better anyways, the main downside's being insurance is harder, and Covid uncertainty in getting back into Hawaii next spring.

While you can get to the fuel dock, put more in selected tanks.
Get the water tanks full and empty the holding tanks.
Have all the food and parts delivered to the dock.
Then they can spend the winter onboard, eating well and enjoying life.
I suspect they will enjoy wintering in Hawaii.

Snapdragon, your attitude is commendable. I would have been whining and crying like a baby if I was in your situation. [emoji30]

I bought my boat in an auction sight unseen, and it had some issues that stressed me out, but it all worked out OK in the end. But again, my little saga was child’s play compared to your adventure.

You sir, are a much better and braver man than I am. Best of luck with the rest of the delivery trip. I hope the surprises are only pleasant ones from here on out.

I hope you're ready to always be the most interesting boat in the marina from now on.

Leaving it in Hawaii untiil spring might not be a bad idea. You can take the family their for a vacation and stay on the boat and do more projects in January when it is nasty here. Sounds like it is going to be a great boat for you. Can't wait to see it .

Snapdragon III said:
Pictures of v drive corrosion. The first one was actually worse than this one when we took it apart, but I forgot to take a picture.

Wow, now that's a mess. Doesn't it make you feel good though to get situations and neglect like that all squared away and running properly. Another poster was right, that it kept functioning on a long passage crudded up that badly is a testament that the boat has good solid bones.

Snapdragon, are there any new updates?

Not really. We never got the weather window we were hoping for to get the boat to California, so it is staying in Hawaii till spring, which other than making insurance more complicated and expensive, is no big deal. We will try and take it strait to Anacortes in the spring. I am hoping to get back out there after New Years for a week or two to chip away at some projects, but it is pretty much ready to go with all the stuff I felt had to be done for the trip home.

Keep us all up to date. It’s a fascinating story. Given that, every great story needs lots of pictures ������
Happy holidays!

It's been a long time since I updated this thread, but the time has finally come to bring my new boat home. We are planning on leaving Honolulu tomorrow morning and heading home to Anacortes. If you want to follow along at home you can do so on the following link. I am super excited. We have a crew of 4 and are expecting the trip to take around 18 days.

https://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/display/SnapDragon

Safe travels!

Best of luck with the crossing, this has been (and is) a terrific thread, thank you for sharing.

H.

Be safe, God's speed.
I'll be watching you so watch what you do and this time, wear some clothes. :blush:

Aloha!

We're in Anacortes tomorrow for just one night, otherwise we'd be there to greet you.

Have a great trip!

Pretty cool to see your early track! Have a great crossing.
I hope it won't be too long until you're able to turn east.

So after he leaves the lee of Hawaii and turns east into the 17 knot winds, that could get a little interesting right? Quite a bit of fetch out there! ?

Not many turn east until a long way north of Hawaii

Ahh gotcha. Still, that’s lots of wind and swell on the beam headed north right? Keep in mind, I have no idea what I’m talking about. ?

Slow going so far. Maybe a late start, hopefully they weren’t hove to for some issue or another.

Slow going so far. Maybe a late start, hopefully they weren’t hove to for some issue or another.

IMG_1975.JPG
Slow going? He’s making 13 knots! ?

Ahh gotcha. Still, that’s lots of wind and swell on the beam headed north right? Keep in mind, I have no idea what I’m talking about. ��

On a typical crossing to the mainland you would head north 1000 miles or more,
until you get above the Pacific High and can bear east with the wind and current.

On a typical crossing to the mainland you would head north 1000 miles or more,
until you get above the Pacific High and can bear east with the wind and current.

Ahh gotcha. Thanks.

IMG_1977.JPG
Hope this is a gps glitch.

IMG_0122.jpg

[emoji15]

Wonder what the wave heights are? This doesn’t sound fun to me.

Windy is showing 7 to 9 feet for that location, my guess would be more.
They will have half that in a day or two as they get further north.

Looks like he's roughly abeam Los Angeles, taking it slow and getting in some fishing lol.

Good to hear! I have been following your progress on the link you shared. Hope you took some video, although pics and video never seem to show how rough/big the seas really are IMO.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom