I bought a boat in Fiji sight unseen!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Holy smokes! Seems like y’all took things in stride and got it handled. I would have been freaking out, and this is why I can’t do a long voyage like that.

Plus I would be puking the entire time probably.

Final thoughts and one more embarrassing problem story from the trip.

Looking back on this with the benefit of hind sight I would not buy this boat again in the way, or for the price I bought it. It is a really cool boat, but I feel that its condition was badly misrepresented by the seller and the broker. It is a way bigger project than I thought I was buying, to make it the way I want it. I knew buying sight unseen was a big risk, but I made the conscious decision to just take the leap, and really put my faith in the goodwill of the seller and broker, both of whom seemed really well intentioned during the sales process. I feel like my trust was betrayed, and not great about the whole thing.
On the other hand, the captain (Ronnie Simpson, Look up his professional media work in cruising world, and many other sailing publications), and the Engineer, Graham I hired also sight unseen, and were the one and only choice available due to covid travel restrictions, turned out be be amazing. They were both super competent at keeping the boat safe and running, super honest and fair, extremely helpful in connecting me with the right people to arrange moorage in Hawaii, helped with major repairs in Hawaii, connected me to their network of friends in Hawaii that was super helpful in tons of ways, and were both also just fun guys to hang out and become friends with. That part of this journey could not have gone better.

As for the boat, while I was not looking to take on this big of a project, I do have the skills, the time, and the checkbook to make this boat right, and that is the plan going forward. It is going to be a really cool boat, it is just going to take a lot more time and money to get it there than I thought it would when I bought it.

My advice after going through this to others thinking about a similar purchase.

1.Don't buy anything sight unseen! I never would have done it except that Fiji was completely closed down due to Covid, and there was no possible way I could get in to see the boat. I was also a little out of my mind from being shut in with Covid lockdown for over a year. I will never buy another boat without seeing it in person first.

2. It would be so much better if you could cruise the boat locally in the area you bought it for awhile to shake out and fix some of the problems, before taking off across a huge ocean. Most of the problems we had could have been easily caught and fixed with a few weekend cruises locally.

3. Insurance for offshore passages in a boat like this is horrible. Budget a large chunk of cash, and a large chunk of mental energy for it.

4. A good delivery skipper is a great option, and should definitely be considered if you can't do the delivery yourself.

5. Even when things go sideways, there are some unexpected upsides. I certainly did not have "Cross the Pacific in your own trawler" on my 2021 bingo card going into 2020. I made some new friends, had some great adventures, took 4 trips to Hawaii, including one with my family that was pretty great.

One more embarrassing story of things gone wrong. Coming into Anacortes my plan was to drive my new boat, into my new slip like a boss. I knew there was a shallow spot out in front of the slip at low tide, but I thought I had enough room. I have had very little practice parking this boat, and it is very different from my last boat, it has a huge full keel, is huge in general, a single rudder in the middle with twin engines so it Does not get any prop wash over the rudder, rendering it useless at low speed. It has a stern thruster that helps, but does not generate close to its potential 15hp since the hydraulic pumps run off v belts off the main engine, and will slip like crazy if you try and take 15+ hp off at idle speeds. The pressure is turned way down on the hydraulic system to keep the belts from slipping. My plan was to come in and execute a smart turn to Starboard and head in to my slip. Instead of the smart turn I was planning, the boat drifted ahead and slightly to port caught by the wind and current as I fumbled ineffectually. I ran us aground in the mud 50ft in front of my new slip. There was current setting us into an old abandoned pier so I was afraid to try and back off since it would put us very close to the pier if successful. Fortunately the tide was rising. We got the harbor master of the marina to come out in the marina skiff and help us get a heavy line over to my slip, then we used the warping drum on the windlass to easily pull ourselves out of the mud and into the slip. No damage done except to my pride.

Attachments

• IMG_2944.jpg
    IMG_2944.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
One more postscript that has nothing to do with the trip, but I am proud of myself on this one, and want to show off. One more disappointment when I saw the boat in person was that many of the interior cushions were older, and grungier than they had looked in the pictures. I decided I wanted to replace them, and being a cheap skate decided to try and do it myself. I watched a bunch of YouTube videos done by Sailright on how to make cushions. Then bought their sewing machine, and a bunch of fake leather and foam. When I was on the boat in February I made templates of the cushions I wanted to replace with plastic sheeting, making note of all the thicknesses, backrest angles etc. It was surprisingly complicated as nothing is square on a boat. I brought the plastic templates home on the plane and built all the cushions at home over the next month. I was very nervous about them fitting properly. It was a lot of work, and money making them, and it would have been heartbreak if they didn't fit. I brought them out a couple days after we got home and they all fit perfectly and looked great. I am very proud of myself!

Attachments

• IMG_0094.jpg
    IMG_0094.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0095.jpg
    IMG_0095.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0096.jpg
    IMG_0096.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0097.jpg
    IMG_0097.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0098.jpg
    IMG_0098.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0099.jpg
    IMG_0099.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 49
Thanks for all you shared. Take a deep breath. Flex your biceps and feel them alternately with each opposing hand. Now... enjoy perfecting your new-boat baby!

"One more embarrassing story of things gone wrong. Coming into Anacortes my plan was to drive my new boat, into my new slip like a boss. I knew there was a shallow spot out in front of the slip at low tide, but I thought I had enough room. I have had very little practice parking this boat, and it is very different from my last boat...."

Reminds me of the first time I brought my 205-foot long salvage tug to a pier. I just knew all 69 members of the crew were watching as I made the long approach up the fairway to our pier which required absolutely no turning maneuvers to just slide alongside. It was my first experience with a single screw vessel, and I ended up stopped 50 feet from the end of the pier with the ship's centerline looking right down the center of it. Duh. That was the day I learned about how much of an angle our single, 14-foot diameter propeller would demand when backing down to stop the headway on a port side landing. I had taken a week off from my previous ship to be aboard a sister salvage tug for familiarization, but when "Dad" tosses you the keys and says let's see you parallel park this thing; well, hmmmm :)

Thank you so much for your candid sharing of your adventure. We were enthralled.

You are home, safe and no one died.
I suspect you can cross more than one item off your bucket list too.
From the pictures, you did a real professional job on the cushions SMILE
Bringing the boat that distance no doubt generated a lengthy To Do list.
Once you rest up, you can start the list and remember, you have the rest of your life to complete it. Cure the transmission, buy an extra seal or two. Once you get the mechanical systems up to your standards, the rest is 'busy work'.
What happened to the delivery captain and engineer?
Thanks for taking us along.

Squabs look great. I am a big fan of square corners to wedge yourself in for offshore work rather than the curved couches that sell boats at shows.
When I saw the boat in Fiji I couldn't see much advantage in that sail rig. I think you will be happier without it.
Well done on the voyage. It looked pretty tough that first few days out of Hawaii.

Amazing rundown. From where I sit you have nothing to be embarrassed about at all. We all set pretty high expectations for ourselves and our boats. But they way you handled the challenges over this past many months is impressive and inspiring. Well done Captain.

What a cool story, and very positive attitude. The attitude is the amazing part along with the skillset to do virtually anything. I hope you will write a book about your adventure, and it would have made for terrific reality TV. I was surprised that your pictures posted revealed that you are much younger than I imagined. So I am curious, what do you do for your day job? Where did you developed your skills, and your good character? Tell us even more about you, the man.

Final thoughts, I too saw this boat and thought it was cool. I surf the net everyday looking at interesting boats and dream of adventure. You are not a dreamer, but a doer, just what the world needs. More doers. Hats off to you sir as others here have said.

Last edited:
Figi

Wow. An amazing story and adventure. Much respect and congratulations! We used to live in Oak Harbor and know Anacortes and surrounding areas well. That’s a beautiful area for your boat. Keep us updated.

Figi -Congrats!

Congrats on the new to you boat!! My husband and I looked at her many many times! -He was not about to buy it without seeing it in person - and like you said -Covid shut down all hopes of that. We actually ended up buying our dream boat in Honolulu in May and we saw Shoreleave in the Waikiki Yacht Club. Beautiful Boat for sure! We travel to Honolulu every month and are in the process of a refit on our new to us boat and plan to cross next summer from Hawaii back to Pleasant Harbor in Brinnon, WA. Maybe sometime our paths can cross!! Mahalo!

Old thread, but I just went through it again as I only had audio on the Waggoner Webcast I listened to a little earlier today that covered the purchase and journey back to USA.

Glad to hear you are still at it! As the saying goes, good bones and it will all be worthwhile in the end, particularly as you are able to put a large amount of your own labor into it. But a lot of "deferred maintenance" and probably DIY in remote locations by PO meant it was nowhere near the condition implied at the time you bought her.

I want to congratulate Snapdragon III on such an informative thread. When this thread first started I shook my head and never read it again. Now that it resurfaced I decided to read it. I think you have helped hundreds of people with your honest evaluation of your adventure.

While you may feel purchasing the boat was a mistake I think the adventure that came with it was worth the price.

I want to congratulate Snapdragon III on such an informative thread. When this thread first started I shook my head and never read it again. Now that it resurfaced I decided to read it. I think you have helped hundreds of people with your honest evaluation of your adventure.

While you may feel purchasing the boat was a mistake I think the adventure that came with it was worth the price.

That is nice of you to mention. And, I for one agree!!

If anyone is interested I recently did an online webinar for Waggoner Marine Group telling the story of purchasing and getting my boat home. It was a live web deal, but it is now posted on Youtube. Check it out if you are interested. My part starts at 28 minutes in. I have been working super hard on the Snapdragon ironing out various problems, and am gearing up to leave for Alaska for the summer as soon as school is out in mid June. It will be a little rushed, but we are going to. try and make it all the way up to Glacier bay.

Video link

Loren: I’ve been following this thread from the beginning. The video really shows what a project given the situation. We’ll done!

I have followed the thread, and listened to the webinar (could not get video at the time). Despite some angst at times, and needing a lot of your own labour, I think you have a very good boat for the money you have put into it. The average buyer, including a friend who was very keen on it at the time, would have needed a lot of yard labour and although the boat would still be good their hip pocket would have been much lighter than yours. Considering initial purchase plus the R&M in total I don't believe you have overpaid.

My interest in part has been because there is a Skookum 53 motor sailor a few slips down from me. In a pretty sad state at present. The only time it has moved in my 8 years at the marina has been to spend a week or two stern-in for hull-deck join repairs. and it was at the marina for a few years before I arrived. It has not had a mast, not sure what became of it, and it has been the owners dream to do a refit and sail away, but time to work on it and money are stopping progress. I cant help thinking it could become amazing for extended coastal cruising as well as cruising our South Pacific neighbour's waters.

Attachments

• Skookum53 .jpg
    Skookum53 .jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 51
Hi there. It's been great following your progress with Snapdragon. My father and grandfather designed and built that boat, and I lived on it for 6 years as a child. Lots of fond memories. So glad to see her in good hands, and back in the PNW! I live on our sailboat with my wife and kids, and currently in the San Juan's. Would love to cross paths with you sometime!

Hi there. It's been great following your progress with Snapdragon. My father and grandfather designed and built that boat, and I lived on it for 6 years as a child. Lots of fond memories. So glad to see her in good hands, and back in the PNW! I live on our sailboat with my wife and kids, and currently in the San Juan's. Would love to cross paths with you sometime!

PM sent

Back
Top Bottom