I bought a boat in Fiji sight unseen!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congrats - I watched the 18 min video. Look's nice. Old Dan's not too interested in the boat... however, I'm afraid his wallet is not deep enough for what he is interested in! What say you Dan??!!

Not interested because I own a boat. :) Plus, the lady broker was not included in the sale.

That boat will make a couple VERY happy!!!

Last edited:
What a great journey and thread. Like others here I admire your courage and adventure and wish you continued success on your next leg. Please keep us updated on your travels home.

If I am reading this right, on thread 32 we have a poster who's uncle and cousin built the very boat the OP just acquired, and in post 58 a poster's late husband and father in law that designed the boat. It seems like this kind of thing only happens on Trawler Forum.

After COVID, you can always take the boat back to Fiji to visit!

Yesterday brought more victories and a good dose of defeat. We finished putting the roller furler back together, and it seems to be working good. We got the Simrad radar working, that had been dead on the trip from Fiji to Hawaii. We rebedded a leaking engine room access hatch that is for allowing for easy removal of the engines, but was leaking salt water all over the top of them on the trip here. And we dug into the Steelhead crane that had a seemingly bad brake and was swinging around on the trip here and had to be lashed down. Upon taking it apart we figured out that it did not have a bad brake, at all, but that the post it is mounted on that comes down through the kitchen had broken loose at it's base. It has a flangers that is bolted to the floor at the base. It has holes for 8 x 3/8" bolts, but whoever installed it only used 4 bolts. 3 of them had been sheared off and it was spinning around the one off center bolt left with the cabinet holding it in place. The crane is an enormously heaven piece of equipment, and to replace the bolts, and add new ones we had to pull it up about 6" out of the deck. We used a combination of rigging off the boom, the mainsail halyard, and a car jack to jack it up, replace/add new bolts, and set it back down. It should be good now, but when I get home I will definitely fabricate a stainless support for the end of it to sit in when not in use to take the twisting strain off when in waves. After taking that thing apart I am super impressed with Steelhead cranes. What a beautiful piece of equipment.
The bad news was that as we were working on the crane, I discovered that the mast right next to it is not supported the way it needs to be for the compression forces it places on the deck, and is deforming the deck down. I am pretty discouraged about this one, and can't see any way to fix it short of a major interior remodel on the main and lower decks, and even then I am not sure as the floor area below it on the lower deck may be over the main fuel tank, which is integral to the hull, and would be very hard to get a compression strut through to take the compression to the keel. I will explore it more when I get the boat home, and probably get a naval architect involved, but it is pretty discouraging. Right now I am thinking I will probably just remove the top half of the mast at the spreaders, and just keep the lower section as a radar holder, crows nest, and backup lifting boom. The previous owner spent a fortune adding this rig, I would estimate well over $100K, and it is a shame he didn't have it engineered right. For the trip home I am going to loosen the rig, put a couple 4x4's fore to aft along the cabin floor, and the ceiling, to spread out the load on the floor and roof framing, then use a hydraulic house jack, to jack the deck back up where is is supposed to be, and install a couple 4x4"'s vertically between the sleepers on the floor and ceiling to carry the compressive load from the mast base and spread it out on the floor and ceiling. It will look dumb, and be a tripping hazard, but should get the boat safely home with no further damage till I can address the problems in a more permanent manner. We will keep the rig as loose as we dare, for the trip home and take it really easy with any sailing.

Last edited:
Got the cabin top jacked up today, and temporary supports installed. Should be ok for the trip home except to the head banging and toe stubbing.

Temp deck bracing. Not sure how to post upright pictures from mobile on this forum. Seems to auto rotate them all.

Attachments

• 38BEAFC6-8056-426F-B6D8-1526126F302F.jpg
    38BEAFC6-8056-426F-B6D8-1526126F302F.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Also refiled fuel tanks today. Total trip was 2942 miles, with adverse current most of the way. Burned 1350 Gal diesel. Despite all the problems, I am very happy with this part of things. I also got to actually leave the dock for the first time in the boat in moderately rough weather, and was very happy with how it handled and the noise levels. That was a relief.

It looks like a really neat boat, and you seem to be well suited as the owner. I presume you got into the boat at a low enough price to allow room for the repairs, which is great. But the whole thing sure speaks to the value of an in-person inspection.

I'm curious which problems that you have discovered so far, would have been identified pre-purchase if you had been able to inspect the boat? I ask because I'm going through a similar, yet different situation with a new build that I can't inspect first hand, and have been relying on photos and video inspections.

Temp deck bracing. Not sure how to post upright pictures from mobile on this forum. Seems to auto rotate them all.

Ha. Easy. Turn it into a wall!

Neat boating project. At what point does it move from "project" to "career"? I'm a little jealous..except for the checkbook part.

Nice work on the projects so far. Most folks won't be willing to get into things that major.

Hmm...meant to include the photo. Just ignore.

Last edited:
Dang, I continue to be very impressed by not only your chutzpah, but your abilities. As others have said, this appears to be a fantastic vessel well suited to your needs and talents.

Bummer about the mast step. Your temporary bracing will certainly give you peace of mind on the way home, but it occurs to me that you might find a solution in the end that isn't too horrendously difficult. I'm imagining a load spreading structure that's been engineered to carry the compressive load into the hull outboard, with the cabin sides, rather than directly to the keel with a compression post. Thinking outside the box...a naval architect will certainly be your friend here.

Thanks for sharing this amazing adventure with us!

My N46 put an inverted Y across engine securing the mast forces to the stringers either side of the engine.
So now you jut need a shiny piece of stainless flanged to the mast, down through to another flange to the inverted Y in the engine room.

Last edited:
Snapdragon, you’re a gutsy person. And I admire your chops! I’d say ‘best of luck’, but it seems you’re in command. I’m looking forward to follow your story.

Today we fixed the broken radar again, ( Thought I had fixed it a couple days ago, but it stopped working again). I think it was a loose ethernet connection. Put the roller furler back together for the second or third time, as we had to take it off again to loosen the rig to install our temporary supports. Replaced the engine belts that drive the hydraulic pumps for the stabilizer, and bow thrusters. Adjusted the pressure on the hydraulic pumps, worked on building a temporary grid of aluminum bars so pans won't slide off the stove in rough ocean conditions, worked on scraping/ polishing amazingly bad, and hard to get off hard water/salt spots off the windows. And we ran all the anchor chain out of the locker to clean the locker out, and clean the stinky chain. Unfortunately this one turned into another disaster. The previous owner had let the anchor locker drain plug up, and fill with salt water for who knows how long, and the last about 25% of the chain is so badly corroded it is ruined. It is way past galvanizing as the Links are visibly thinner than they started. The top 3/4 of chain look like it would be ok if I got it regalvanized. Does anyone know of a place in the Pacific NW that can do chain welding? It would sure be nice to just buy 75 ft of new chain and have it welded on to the good part, then have the whole thing galvanized. I really don't want to replace it all. Especially since I have never even used more than 150 ft of chain, but it seems prudent to have lots. I think the boat has 350 ft of chain on it now.
I also discovered that the Bullfrog dingy appears to have rotten cracking plastic on the outer "tubes,' which is a huge disappointment. The relatively new, 2015 dingy was one of the things I was really excited about on this boat. I am hopeful that it may be covered under warranty since it is clearly a defective materials issue. The whole marketing pitch of Bullfrog boats is that they are supposed to last way longer, and be trouble free compared to inflatables.

Anchor chain pictures

Attachments

• 077563EF-648F-4CCB-B190-DA91D67FC12E.jpg
    077563EF-648F-4CCB-B190-DA91D67FC12E.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 50
  • BF38A19D-5D7D-407A-AEAA-15A38EC153E0.jpg
    BF38A19D-5D7D-407A-AEAA-15A38EC153E0.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 02F8DED2-7948-4DD3-9203-9542F2212266.jpg
    02F8DED2-7948-4DD3-9203-9542F2212266.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 48
We also took apart one of the electric toilets that was not working properly, and discovered that the duck bill check valve was completely missing? There were spares onboard, so I can't figure out why the previous owner would have taken it out, but not put a new one in?

As of late, everyone I know who has re-galvanized chain has regretted it. Best case it seems you will have flakes of zinc shedding off all over the deck, and worst case it won't run through the windless properly, even after attempts to wear it in.

Snapdragon,

I find this an incredible thread! You sure have guts! That's an adventure that most of us wouldn't touch for any reason, however, I sure understand the logic.

If one gets something at a price that's low enough to tackle unknowns and some high ticket items and come out way ahead in the end, it could well be worth the risk.

And suspect you'll have a one-of-a-kind special boat in the end and the effort will be worth it. There's a lot of us that are looking forward to when you're finished and cruising for fun!

Keep up the GREAT work!

Great information, thanks.

How did the fuel situation go - it's a loooong way for a vessel with unknown consumption and possibly even unconfirmed tankage!
Shorleave was, specifically, designed and built for long range, off shore cruising. As the original owner, I would be happy to fill in and correct some info on the concept, design, etc of Shorleave. She was our dream come true.

Shorleave

What a great journey and thread. Like others here I admire your courage and adventure and wish you continued success on your next leg. Please keep us updated on your travels home.

If I am reading this right, on thread 32 we have a poster who's uncle and cousin built the very boat the OP just acquired, and in post 58 a poster's late husband and father in law that designed the boat. It seems like this kind of thing only happens on Trawler Forum.
Yes. The family who designed, built and initially cruised Shorleave follow her from time to time. Shorleave, the name and the vessel have a very special place in our hearts.

I also discovered that the Bullfrog dingy appears to have rotten cracking plastic on the outer "tubes,' which is a huge disappointment. The relatively new, 2015 dingy was one of the things I was really excited about on this boat. I am hopeful that it may be covered under warranty since it is clearly a defective materials issue. The whole marketing pitch of Bullfrog boats is that they are supposed to last way longer, and be trouble free compared to inflatables.

Polyethylene is highly susceptible to UV degradation. Esp. in the tropics. Bullfrog doesn't provide any info about UV stabilization techniques used in their mfg process.

(Had a chuckle over the missing joker valve. No end to the tricks a PO will do)

The first project of the day was to finish scraping the hard water/salt crust off the windows with a razor scraper. It was incredibly hard to get off. The razor blade got most of it, I think I will be able to get the last little bit pretty easy with a power buffer, and polishing compound when I get home.
Next We moved on to taking the top plates of the V drives. They are raw water cooled, and are the first stop on the raw water cooling circuit that cools the engines, just down stream of the strainers. I was suspicious that they might be plugged up with rust, and boy were they! When we took the tops off they were completely packed to the top with black nasty, with only a tiny channel you couldn't even see that the cooling water could flow through. They didn't have any overheating problems on the way to Hawaii, but the starboard engine ran about 5-10 degrees hotter than the port engine. I suspect it was because of a restriction in the V drives. It was quite a project trying to pick out the rust without messing up the copper oil cooler lines buried in the middle of it. There were two pencil zincs in each V drive that had obviously never been changed, as they still had the factory paint over them. When I get home I am going to work on changing out to a separate remote oil cooler, and get the salt water out of the drives. The way they are set up it looks like it would be pretty easy. After cleaning them out the engines should have much better water flow. I snapped the head off one of the rusted bolts trying to get the tops off, and amazingly was able to heat it the case once it was apart with a map gas torch, and get the broken bolt out. We bought a roll of gasket material at the autocrats store and cut our own gaskets to put everything back together. It all worked out pretty well, but took forever.

The other big project for the day was to adjust the hydraulic pressure on the stabilizer/stern thruster/Hydralic alternator system. The previous owner had mentioned that he had turned down the pressure to "Save fuel" but couldn't remember how to turn it back up. I called Keypower tech support and they were great. Amazingly, the guy who answered the phone had been the one who had worked in installing the system in 2008. He had nice things to say about the boat, and not so nice things to say about the previous owner. He talked me through adjusting the system, which was pretty complicated. There is a standby idea pressure adjustment, on each pump, and a max pressure on each pump, and they all need to be set equally to allow the two pumps to work together. We were on the final high pressure adjustment when the set screw just snapped off under almost no stress. I can't figure out how it happened, it must have gotten hit really hard at some point and cracked or something. To get it out we had to take apart the regulator on the side of the pump which made me super nervous, but wasn't too bad in the end. There was no way we could find a matching set screw with a special machined nub on the end on a Friday night, but after taking it apart I could see that all it does is press on a little plate, that compresses a spring, so we just used a normal bolt with the end filed flat. It only took us 2 stores and about an hour of driving around to find a 1/4 28 TPI find threaded bolt that would work. We got it all put back together and it works much better than it used to. The stern thruster barely worked before, I would guess it was developing 1 HP, and it was not really enough to be useful. It is working much better now, I would guess 8-10HP. It is capable of 15H, but I am not sure the V belts driving the hydraulic pumps are capable of delivering that much at Idle speed. I will have a hydraulics professional dial it in when I get home as it is a fairly complicated system, but it seems to be working much better than it was before, and should be good enough for now. Also, the key power guy explained that what he had done was not even saving any appreciable amount of fuel, but was making the system not work right.

I also discovered that the master bathroom sink and shower had a messed up drain, that drips water out of the wall below the shower every time you use the sink. The shower had a bunch of crap stored in it, and I once again suspect that this had been an issue for awhile. I think it is probably a combination of a plugged up drain pipe, and maybe some corroded fittings or rotten hose. I didn't have time to do much more today than identify that there is a problem. Will work on it more tomorrow. Unfortunately the access to the area it terrible under the shower.

Last edited:
Pictures of v drive corrosion. The first one was actually worse than this one when we took it apart, but I forgot to take a picture.

Attachments

• 4566869E-B571-4589-9331-C8705D667E54.jpg
    4566869E-B571-4589-9331-C8705D667E54.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 14E46D38-0E08-4353-85F2-05796AC7FE3E.jpg
    14E46D38-0E08-4353-85F2-05796AC7FE3E.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 45
Damn, SdIII - I give you kudos for this purchase, trip and refurbish/rebuild progress.

Taint nutten like taking apart an old boat's old parts to find adventures galore!

I'm a following your thread!! Best Luck in Everything! :thumb:

and yet, with all these problems, the boat made it to your home port.
Speaks well of the boat and the mechanical systems.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your experiences here, I am enjoying and learning...

I feel pretty proud of myself getting it ripped apart and put back together.

You ARE the man, and you apparently have the DIY skills we all wish we had for self-sufficiency.

Sounds like you're getting to know her Loren. Have a great trip across the Pacific. You should be comfortable with her by then.

Yes. The family who designed, built and initially cruised Shorleave follow her from time to time. Shorleave, the name and the vessel have a very special place in our hearts.
Thanks, and welcome to Trawler Forum! It sounds like the boat you love has landed in more than capable hands.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom