I almost died today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wxx3

Dauntless Award
Vessel Name
Dauntless
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Well, almost.
Simple little thing.
No Atlantic crossing.
No bad weather.
No nothing

I was moving the boat to a Marina for the week.

Only 5 miles, going only 4.5 kts, feeling good, I had cleaned my bad tank last night.
If you don't have a "Bucket Head", don't even read the rest of this but get down to HD and get one.

Ok. I digress. Maybe from giddiness in being alive.

So, about a mile from the Marina, I go to grab a fender that is hanging just aft of the PH.

I usually wear those cheap Chinese gloves, with rubber on one side. I do want to keep me hands baby soft!

The KK has a handrail with an opening that folds up.
I ALWAYS travel with the handrail down, in place. Certainly a good habit.

Maybe too good.

Today, the whole 45 min,I never noticed it was up. Had I, even just pulling into the Marina, I would have lowered it.

So, that's the only reason I can think of that as I went to grab the line on the fender with my right hand, I grabbed the rail that wasn't there in my left hand.

There is a plastic bracket on the vertical pole, just below the hand rail for my electric shore power cables.

As my hand grabbed air, two fingers got caught, between the rubber on the glove and my twisting motion.

The glove is still there. I couldn't get it out. I will probably leave it there forever to remind me.

So, I'm like an Indian riding on the side of the horse. My right hand held the line to the fender. My left is stuck in the rail, my feet are treading air and I'm facing aft.

My first thought, if I fall off, I'll never get back on.

I got a foot on the rub rail and then felt the pain from my hand, which seemed stuck.

A half hour later, after I got the boat tied up, as I'm washing up, my fingers are just starting to feel pain.

I'd scraped a bunch of skin of my forearm and had a gouge in two fingers.

Complacency. That's the real killer.

In my fast car days, I still hold the record for fastest drive between Munich and Venice. Never had a high speed incident. But the few accidents I have had, were always at least than 15mph.

I just have to keep alive till the next challenge.

And any day that ends where you wanted, is a good day, no matter the path.

Well, almost.
Simple little thing.
No Atlantic crossing.
No bad weather.
No nothing

I was moving the boat to a Marina for the week.

.......edited for space.....

I'd scraped a bunch of skin of my forearm and had a gouge in two fingers.

Complacency. That's the real killer.

In my fast car days, I still hold the record for fastest drive between Munich and Venice. Never had a high speed incident. But the few accidents I have had, were always at least than 15mph.

I just have to keep alive till the next challenge.

And any day that ends where you wanted, is a good day, no matter the path.

A lot of people will argue inexperience, alcohol, ego, over-reliance on electronics, etc..etc...but complacency is the real killer of those that do something a lot.

I've had a couple of close calls with the open rail gate trap too. Fortunately, not while underway.

My son fell through, but was able to grab the rail stanchion with both hands, twisted around and clumsily landed on the dock on his feet. And I grabbed the mysteriously open rail gate while lifting a 5 gallon bucket of salt water over the rail while crabbing and did a back flop on the deck!!

No serious injuries other than our pride!! :oops:

Careful Richard... You're too important to pass-away from a simple error such as that! Heal fast!!

I had cleaned my bad tank last night.
If you don't have a "Bucket Head", don't even read the rest of this but get down to HD and get one.

Could you expand a little on how you were able to use the Bucket Head to clean your tank? I am puzzled how you got the hose to the bottom of the tank.

Richard,

Very glad we still have you with us.

Complacency.

Immediately reminds me of not remembering one left the hatch to the ER off while running around the boat doing odd jobs.
Eventually one learns your lesson WELL and do not forget again!

Too bad we often have to learn lessons the Hard way.

What's a bucket head other than a head that doesn't work and has a small bucket in it for bucket and chuck it.
Cheers
Benn

Geeze, Richard. I could just read the headlines on that one. "Ocean-Crossing Mariner dies on Puddle Jump"! Glad you're OK.

What's a bucket head other than a head that doesn't work and has a small bucket in it for bucket and chuck it.
Cheers
Benn

Home Depot bucket toilet.

5b92e4a8d82943d8bc2a33c12e421740.jpg

A bucket toilet needs a lid!

Wow - the bucket-for-a-toilet is a no-brainer... the pool noodle for a 'seat' - now that is inspired. Noted for next camping trip.

My wife and daughter were out of town last week, so I thought it was time to jump the solo docking hurdle. I got spooked pulling up and dropping the fenders in slow forward, so put it in neutral after that. The thought of falling overboard and watching Badger steam away all alone was too much to bear!

Can't imagine how your heart must have skipped a couple beats, your stomach dropped out, and how your brain must have been instantly bathed in buckets of fight/flight chemicals!!

Last edited:
Those who are complacent about complacency are doomed :oldman:

Holy crap, Richard! We worry about you for weeks, crossing the Atlantic, alone in perilous conditions and then you go and almost lose it on a milk run? Wait until the Admiral hears about this!!

I`ve done a similar tank clean with a hand pump,zip tied the plastic tube to a wooden dowel to keep it straight. Yours is better, faster, more volume extracted.
It is so easy to lower your guard after entering port from the open sea, there is sense of "job done" and maybe some euphoria( well deserved in your case)but, there are still hazards, just different ones.

Please, not during mealtime.

Thanks for sharing! I have had several close calls and have been lucky, after a close call I always think: “For the Grace of God go I”

Richard, I think this close call you suffered was our fault. We let you down. After your harrowing trip from the Azores to Ireland that kept us all with bated breath, we all breathed a long sigh of relief when your anchor went down. Then we directed our attention to other things. Sorry, but we should have been there for you.:D Seriously, I'm glad that you are safe.

I think that rail gates are accidents waiting to happen. People forget to close them, and at times they appear to be closed but are not latched properly.

On our first trip south from CT to FL, we decided to use a ferry dock on the Potomac River in DC to fill our water tanks as it was a day the ferry was not in service. I did not realize that our starboard boarding gate was left open and my wife, attempting to lasso a piling fell right off the boat. She fell between the slowly moving boat and the rather high dock.

I immediately put the boat in reverse to keep the prop away from her. Her angel must have been on board as a couple of people walking nearby saw our plight and rushed to our aid. Two men were able to pluck her from the water.

I did not see the people rushing to our aid so I left the fly bridge, rushed to the lower deck and jumped to the dock to rescue my wife. Yep, I left the boat in reverse! I then saw that she had been pulled to safety and was able to get back on the boat in time to stop its movement.

We were most fortunate as there were no injuries beyond a really terrible scare. We now latch our gates and try to pull them open to be sure they are latched before the boat moves. I suggest all of us do the same, all the time.

In over 50 years of boat ownership, this was, thank The Lord, our closest brush with a disaster. Let's all be safe, complacency is around every corner. Howard

Richard, I think this close call you suffered was our fault. We let you down. After your harrowing trip from the Azores to Ireland that kept us all with bated breath, we all breathed a long sigh of relief when your anchor went down. Then we directed our attention to other things. Sorry, but we should have been there for you.:D Seriously, I'm glad that you are safe.

Ditto here. In the future Richard, we of the Forum would prefer that you file a Float Plan with us. No matter how small the journey. It allows us to collectively pull for you and your success. And we all saw how well it worked on the other passage.....?

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

While I've shop vac up diesel before, it should be noted that the average shop vac is not ignition protected and of course should never be used to pick up gasoline. And some might say not to pick up diesel either.

So if you blow your ass up don't blame us. :D

Richard, Since we're now watching your every move, please turn the DeLorme on so we can get an updated fix. Wouldn't what we're doing be called stalking in court?

Regarding side-boarding rail gates:

We have two, one on either side. Also have chains with slide latches at ladder areas between deck-elevations with railings adjacent - entire tri cabin boat is SS railed on every deck and around bridge.

For safety sake - on side-boarding gates: We always keep port gate firmly/tightly latched and use it very seldom. We use stbd gate often. There we have nice set-in position for when closed and keep strong bungee cord as draw down to make sure gate can not become lose. When gate is open that bungee works as visual signal due to its hanging movements... so far so good!

That boat area can become a killer! Complacency aboard boat can really cause trouble... but... multi tasking can cause complacency to happen for even the most experienced mariner.

Careful is - as careful does!

Richard,

Very glad we still have you with us.

Complacency.

Immediately reminds me of not remembering one left the hatch to the ER off while running around the boat doing odd jobs.
Eventually one learns your lesson WELL and do not forget again!

Too bad we often have to learn lessons the Hard way.
I did that. ..3broken ribs a collapsed lung and a week in the hospital

One thing I've learned is that the protection from further complacent moments last until the consequences from the last complacent moment wear off. I'll bet ole Richard's wrenched fingers will be reminding him for a while.

Regarding side-boarding rail gates:

Careful is - as careful does!

No kidding! I'm solo much of the time, and run the boat from the pilothouse. Underway, I occasionally venture into the protected cockpit, but never on deck without a PFD. There are handholds installed everywhere, but if running solo at night, or in rough conditions, I sometimes rig jack lines from the cockpit to the sampson post and wear my harness and a short tether. Like in my sailing days. I never want to get separated from the boat, especially if alone.

Now, I have no idea how I might get back aboard if I am hanging over the side on a 2' tether, but that's another issue. I suppose I should actually try it sometime. :D

Attachments

• IMG_2436.jpg
    IMG_2436.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 57
No kidding! I'm solo much of the time, and run the boat from the pilothouse. Underway, I occasionally venture into the protected cockpit, but never on deck without a PFD. There are handholds installed everywhere, but if running solo at night, or in rough conditions, I sometimes rig jack lines from the cockpit to the sampson post and wear my harness and a short tether. Like in my sailing days. I never want to get separated from the boat, especially if alone.

Now, I have no idea how I might get back aboard if I am hanging over the side on a 2' tether, but that's another issue. I suppose I should actually try it sometime. :D

Yo - When you try it... make sure there is some BIG Strong Bubba aboard to pull u-asss back in if needed... :lol: Best Luck! :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom