I-5 Bridge collapse over the Skagit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Spy let me guess .... several trucks had hit that bridge.

I was a truck driver and went under a low bridge w a van style truck. It was very close. I stopped twice to get out and look. It cleared. I went on to deliver my load and on the return I started to slow down and then though "this is stupid". I know I clear the bridge so why slow down. A sixth sense slowed me down and half way through the truck was stuck after sorta grinding to a stop. I was going slow enough that it was no problem backing out and going around. As a truck driver I was above average w my considerable experience and college degree. But there are hoards of truck drivers out there that lacking in judgement and experience.

So how can this Skagit River bridge thing not happen again? But it is amazing that it did take as long as it did on this bridge.

The trailer always rides higher when empty than loaded

DUH I became well aware of that w my bridge experience.

And one needs to think about it to make use of the knowledge.

DUH I became well aware of that w my bridge experience.

And one needs to think about it to make use of the knowledge.

Look in your side view mirror, you will see a yellow tape stripe up the trailer with the height printed on it.

Hopefully that and the posted bridge height is correct.

Look in your side view mirror, you will see a yellow tape stripe up the trailer with the height printed on it.

Hopefully that and the posted bridge height is correct.

Never trusted, always measured. I used to drive over-height and over-wide loads (Rogator). That said, I gave up my class 1 when I moved from Alberta to BC, as there were things like hills, curves, and bridges in this new land .

UPDATE

For those not in the area the I-5 bridge over the Skagit river has had a temporary span in place for about a week and traffic here is back to normal. The temporary span looks very temporary and even sags a bit in the middle. For this Alaskan back to normal traffic would be congested but it's wonderful compared to the detour traffic.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom