Hyundai Motor Yachts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

antioch01

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
28' Cigarette SS, 20' Picklefork jet W/ Blown B/B
I am currently interested in a 1992 Hyundai 53' Motor Yacht. Info on their build quality etc. is very sparse, I do know it was a South Korea company but there are only a few vessels on the net to look at.
It has 3208 Cats so I at least know something about them,
Does anyone have any info or experience with the build quality etc. ?

Thanks,
Robert

Nothing of substance to offer. I had one of similar size and year a couple of slips down from me in Gulfport a couple of years ago. Was a little put off by the brand name. Wound up spending a pleasant evening aboard with the owner, who was quite happy with it after 2-3 years owning it. I recall he was a serious coastal cruiser from the Carolinas. I remember it had 3208s, a functional (to me) interior and ER layout, and poor (to me - restricted access) cockpit/deck layout.

I think the 53 is a Bill Prince design, for what that's worth. The internet sure is skinny on information for these boats.

They are the largest ship builder in Korea, but as for small boats, not a clue.

Hopefully on 2018 I'll be there and check for you.

Thanks,
Some of the things I liked were only two staterooms and both have full bath facilities,,, front bed is a queen and aft is a King,,,, first King size so far,,,,, some were called queens, but actually were only full or double size.
Some of the other vessels this length all had three staterooms. We have been looking for larger two stateroom layout.
I am just concerned with the age and bottom / hull quality.
The aft deck does have a strange look to it,, but then again it has sliding windows instead of canvas. A plus in my mind. Still have a hard time understanding $5000 for a canvas.
I am searching DIA, Hyundai, Sonata and not coming up with much. Those were some of the designations I see in the pics.
I am also leery of the name, but the vessel looks very solid,,,,,, wonder how many others have thought that before they committed.

Damn WXX,,, I am envious,,, wish I had the nads to run that far. I love your Kadey, we just want to do the coastline and relax.
I think Hyundai is just in the huge vessels now as previously stated. I wish I could get more info on how long they made these yachts.

Hyundai

There is one for sale in Long Beach, Ca on Boat Trader - interesting looking.

There are a couple on the net for sale, but not much as far as info.
I thought they were kind of dumpy looking at first,,,, but the design is working on me.

Just got off the phone with Bill Prince Designs,,, and he said they did a 63' fishing boat design for Hyundai,, but was never built. He did not have anything to do with this 53' but is going to do some checking to see what he can find on the history.
I thought that was pretty good of him.

Thanks, hope to see some of you on the waves in the near future.

There was a 48 for sale about four years ago at Tellico marina. The owner started at 200k ended up giving it away for 75k. Nothing wrong with the boat that I know. Present owner uses it on the TVA waters and since he is on my dock I would know if he was having any problems with the boat. Go for it if it feels good.

That is funny,,, We use to rock climb with Suzuki Samarai's in Tellico before they closed it down.
I drove to Sweetwater Tenn. to look at a 45' Searay. Some great water in the TVA.

So far all the info is like yourself, from folks that have seen or been on a Hyundai but so far no one that has owned one, or even heard of any issues with them,,, a little scary, but I think it is what we are looking for at this point.
I plan to dive the boat to see what the bottom looks like,,, struts and props etc. Not sure if the zincs have been kept up.
If it looks OK I am going to take it.
This whole trawling deal is new to us,,,,,, we have a 21' Blown big block jetboat, and a 30' Cigarette.
Now this will be like a floating RV. Got to start somewhere,,,,,,

Last edited:
Oh, we did like the 48' Californian, and 44 Gulfstar,,,,, just did not find any in this area.

A Hyundai 53 was recently sold in Sydney. First I knew they existed.

Never owned one but if dock gossip is worth anything, it is my understanding that they were cored below the water line, something that I think a builder like Hyundai should have known better. I was also told their sojourn into the small yacht market was short lived as they simply could not make money on them. Other than the cored hull, I have never heard anything negative about them. The aft sundeck is a little odd looking. Hopefully someone who owns one will chime in here, out of curiosity I too would be interested in the full story behind them.

Unreliable memory says Yamaha sold made sailboats, they were sold here too.

Well, I just found my answer in some old boating magazine articles by searching "Elegant Yachts International by Hyundai". They are all Termanto foam core hulls, even below the water line, and advertise "no wood".
After reading David Pascoe's piece on cored hulls vs Balsa I am discouraged with the Hyundai.

Well, I just found my answer in some old boating magazine articles by searching "Elegant Yachts International by Hyundai". They are all Termanto foam core hulls, even below the water line, and advertise "no wood".
After reading David Pascoe's piece on cored hulls vs Balsa I am discouraged with the Hyundai.

So you think a good foam core that is impervious to moisture is automatically worse that a soft wood that has serious issues when exposed to moisture?

I wouldn't dismiss them just on that basis. I'd want to examine the boat and if interested get it survey. If it was today's level of coring technology I'd feel better about it than years ago. Still there are many factors including the amount of glass, the other materials and the quality of coring.

Yamaha also made/makes pianos, guitars and electronics...

Yamaha actually started as a musical instrument manufacturer. The Yamaha logo is tuning forks. They started in 1897 and didn't build any machinery until WW II and their first motorcycle was sold in 1954. Only then did they start Yamaha Motor Co.

Yes, that is my concern,,, in the early 90's most of the Asian trawlers mid 80's were still looking good, laminate issues probably did not start showing up until 10 years or so.
Now these boats have 30 years of soaking and lots of abuse from lack of bottom cleaning and painting, storms etc.
I just wonder if Hyundai had enough history with coring to really do a great job. Most of these yachts are always out in the elements and from what I read, heat also degrades the coring material worse than balsa.
Like you say, I am going to look at it hard and see if any lamination issues are showing. Bottom is another story,,,, definitely have to haul it to check.
All of these issues have never been a concern for us, since our boats are always flushed and garaged when not in use.
Like I said before,,, this trawler thing is a whole different ballgame and just getting our feet wet,,,,,,,,, Lots to learn.

Last edited:
Antioch
Building a below the waterline composite hull properly requires a dedicated company to insure it is done right. Techniques today are very different than 25 years ago for good reason. The family of boats - Bayliner, Pacific Mariner and Westport seem to have figured it out. Some haven't but I won't name names.

My take is purchasing a vessel made by an uncommitted builder is a risk not worth taking. If for no other reason than re-sale. My advice is to buy a well regarded vessel with a following. Lots of docks to walk in your search. Enjoy the experience.

Thanks,
Yea, what is that old saying,,,, if it seems too good, it probably is. This Hyundai is one hell of a lot of boat for the money, and from what I read they build a lot of large heavy duty vessels, just not sure the build quality went into the smaller yachts at that time.

That David Pascoe guy really depresses me. He has pictures of well regarded boats with the same lamination issues, Grand Banks etc.
So then in my feeble mind I think,,, could I possibly fall into a good one with the Hyundai?
I have to admit,,, so far I have not found anyone that has heard of any issues with the few Hyundais that are around. But the key word there is only a FEW around.
I really thought by now there would be some negative reports.

Check on Yachtforums.com/superyacht, they have much info on bigger boats.

They do not list Hyundai, or Elegant Yachts International.
Again,,,,,, scary.

Thanks,
Yea, what is that old saying,,,, if it seems too good, it probably is. This Hyundai is one hell of a lot of boat for the money, and from what I read they build a lot of large heavy duty vessels, just not sure the build quality went into the smaller yachts at that time.

That David Pascoe guy really depresses me. He has pictures of well regarded boats with the same lamination issues, Grand Banks etc.
So then in my feeble mind I think,,, could I possibly fall into a good one with the Hyundai?
I have to admit,,, so far I have not found anyone that has heard of any issues with the few Hyundais that are around. But the key word there is only a FEW around.
I really thought by now there would be some negative reports.

If I took Pascoe seriously, I'd never own a boat of any sort. Most boats have had some issue over the years. But they also have many very happy owners. He enjoys cutting down the popular brands.

I look at the Hyundai much as I would a custom or one-off boat. What you see is what you get. You can't buy based on a lot of knowledge, it must be on that boat, it's layout, it's condition.

As to resale, the worst price drop has already taken place. They're available for far less than others in their sizes and years would be. So, of course, they're going to have poor resale value and as a small production boat they'll be hard to sell.

You're not looking to buy a line of boats or a builder though. You're looking for one boat that meets your needs. So, just evaluate what you come across.

They do not list Hyundai, or Elegant Yachts International.
Again,,,,,, scary.

Do a search there on "Hyundai". You will find a really modern art deco almost 62 highlighted. You'll find a very knowledgeable, long time industry expert who said he thought they acquitted themselves well. Most of the discussions were in 2010. They have a facebook page.

It's slow loading but here's the link to Hyundai Yachts web site. Apparently they're still building some lines and also selling some boats of others such as Bavaria and Maritimo. But they offer sail yachts, motor yachts, super yachts, custom yachts and fishing boats.

현대요트

Last edited:
Thanks,
Yea, I found that sight,,,, the 62' is quite a bold design. I agree with you on Pascoe,,, he has a lot of valid points, my take away is even the popular vessels have their issues but still depends on the particular boat.
I have called most of the sellers of the few Hyundais online and one said there were some soft spots in the deck, boat still sold. The others said they were solid and well built, all of them were salesmen so a grain of salt was required. Still unable to locate an actual owner.
I am going to check this boat out and see what my gut feeling is.

Hyunadi Credibility

If you think about it you are probably more familiar with Hyundai Cars. However they also build engineered products from Injection Molding Machines to Deepwater Drilling Rigs. Having worked with them in the Shipyards and the plastics industry, it is my observation they are dedicated to providing a superior product and don't tolerate incompetence or mistakes.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their products but when it comes to boats and where upkeep trumps build quality; I would invest in a comprehensive survey.

Back
Top Bottom