Old 11-21-2023, 12:53 PM   #1

City: Friday Harbor
I am trying to sell a donated 36' Grand Banks

I am trying to sell a donated 1969 36' Grand Banks trawler. I'd like feedback on what a reasonable price would be given the time of year and need to sell it by December 20. Also, any ideas on how to find a buyer for this unique boat would be appreciated. I'm sure its worth more than we will get given the time of year and short turnaround.

I am the executive director of a non-profit organization (SAFE San Juans) serving survivors of domestic violence and sexual abuse in San Juan County, Washington. Hal and Kathy Lawson kindly donated their 1969 36' Grand Banks "Providence" to my agency for us to sell as way of generating funds for our operations.

"Providence" is currently berthed in Friday Harbor Marina. The Lawsons kept her in great shape. Her twin diesels run well, she has a new rigid inflatable dinghy and motor, and the major upkeep called for in the 2022 survey have been accomplished (the 2022 survey and service records are available). I believe the attached picture is from a 2018 Grand Banks Rendezvous.
Dave Dunaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 02:23 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard and thank you for your efforts. The most accurate method of assessing would most probably a marine survey. Perhaps a surveyor could perform the service for a tax receipt. I have NO idea how this works or anything about not for profits....
Old 11-21-2023, 02:39 PM   #3

City: Victoria
Vessel Name: Malaika
Vessel Model: 1973 GB36 Sedan
The idea of getting a survey is a good one. I donated my previous boat to a charity (SALTS) last year and they had it surveyed before accepting it and issuing me a charity receipt. I am pretty sure the surveyor was donating his time. You might consider getting in touch with the people at SALTS for ideas on how best to sell the boat as they sell donated boats regularly.

My guess for a sale amount would be in the low to mid $40,000 range for a quick sale. (I just bought a 73 GB Sedan last June that had been on the market in Vancouver for more than a year.) Selling a wooden boat even a GB does not typically happen quickly so you may need to discount it quite heavily to move it that fast. Too bad you can't wait for a couple of months as the market in the PNW tends to pick up Feb - March.
darnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 02:51 PM   #4

Thanks for that helpful input. The boat does have a survey from 2022 that includes an estimated value, and it also has all the receipts from the repairs that were made after the survey. I've never tried to value something like this, so it was very helpful to see how the surveyor arrived at his recommended value.

On the other hand, you are right about the challenge of trying to sell in December with a short window. The owners were trying to donate her to a different non-profit, and that conversation lasted months before they said no. So... it's a bummer, but we have to work with a short window and likely wind up with a much lower price than we hoped.

I'll check out that organization you recommended - no need to reinvent the wheel so to speak.
Old 11-21-2023, 03:21 PM   #5
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Dave, for what it is worth I sold (gave away) a 1971 GB36 that was surveyed at a higher price. No one cared that more then the sale value $ was put into it. Good luck getting $40K no matter how clean it looks. May sell for 15-20K US$ IMHO. There were a few people that were looking for such a boat this past summer on TF, put an AD in the forum boat for sale as I am not aware thye have bought yet.

Any moment the anti wood boat folks will chime in.
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 03:57 PM   #6
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Is it wood? If so, less than $20K would be my guess.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 04:00 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
I will echo what SteveK said above. For a quick sale in the next 30 days, you will be lucky to get $15,000 for it. Steve's boat was sold SEVERELY under value, and he got no where near $40k for it after what, almost 18 months for sale?
Old 11-21-2023, 04:07 PM   #8
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Be careful of putting too low of a price on it. I had a friend with an old pickup that ran fine, just a bit dinged up. He needed to sell it fast so he advertised for $250 (back in the day where Saturday classified ads were the way to go). Didn't get a call. Next weekend, he raised the price to $950 and his phone rang off the hook.

I don't know your local market or the GB woodie market, but my gut settles on the $15k range. Survey value is useless, but would support a selling price if it shows the boats in good condition.

Good luck.

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 04:14 PM   #9

Thank you all. I was hoping for your candor, and I really appreciate the input. Its disheartening to see how much has been put into it relative to what its actually worth in the open market, but that seems to be the way of boats.
Old 11-21-2023, 05:15 PM   #10

I settled on an asking price of $25,000 OBO, and we are now working hard to promote her around San Juan Island. I really appreciate the great input on pricing. I'll list it on the TF too.
Old 11-22-2023, 12:38 PM   #11
Guru

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Callisto
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 42 Classic, Hull 433
Advertise on Craigslist, Trawler Forum and Facebook GB owners group.

Sell the dinghy separately - you won't get more for the main boat because of the presence of the dinghy.
Nick F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 01:18 PM   #12
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
I sold a 1972 woodie GB42 in perfect condition back in 2015 for 63K.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 03:13 PM   #13

Great advice. Thanks
Old 11-27-2023, 01:12 PM   #14
PBR

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Destiny
Vessel Model: Puget Trawler Euro
Yes in 2015 the insurance business was more willing to insure the older boats, even woodies. Since the pandemic, it is getting more difficult to get reasonable insurance

Dave. I do not see a picture you mentioned in your earlier note. Is there a link to your ad? or pics?

Thank U
PBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 01:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Wakefield
Hi Dave,

I'm a broker in New England, we used to be a GB dealer. We use sales comps primarily to work out values. These West Coast GB36 woodie's sold in 2023;
*1968, ask $59k, sold $48k, Anacortes
*1973, ask $51, sold $47k, Vancouver
*1973, ask $49.9, sold $49k, Seattle
*1969, ask $46, sold $38k, Anacortes
These boats were on the market for between 150-228 days. All looked like they were in good shape. Not much of a reference with only four being sold but there's a niche market in the northwest for these. But it's not a big market so you need to find the right buyer. Nobody wants to pay a broker but the key to selling is price it right and give it exposure.

Good luck, these are really nice boats...
Snug Harbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 01:39 PM   #16

Good morning. I'm having trouble figuring out how to load photos from my computer onto this platform, so it would be simpler to give you the link for our Craigslist ad. If you copy this into your browser, it should take you there. I can respond to emails through it too and send you just about anything you need. Here it is:

https://skagit.craigslist.org/boa/d/...690611223.html
Old 11-27-2023, 01:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snug Harbor View Post
Hi Dave,

I'm a broker in New England, we used to be a GB dealer. We use sales comps primarily to work out values. These West Coast GB36 woodie's sold in 2023;
*1968, ask $59k, sold $48k, Anacortes
*1973, ask $51, sold $47k, Vancouver
*1973, ask $49.9, sold $49k, Seattle
*1969, ask $46, sold $38k, Anacortes
These boats were on the market for between 150-228 days. All looked like they were in good shape. Not much of a reference with only four being sold but there's a niche market in the northwest for these. But it's not a big market so you need to find the right buyer. Nobody wants to pay a broker but the key to selling is price it right and give it exposure.

Good luck, these are really nice boats...
Thank you for that input and affirmation. I don't know much about this kind of boat (I drive an old 19' Glasply cuddy that suits me perfectly), so seeing those comps you provided makes me feel like I'm on the right track. The boat seems to be in great shape for its age, and I've read the service records and can tell the owners cared about her.
Since you track these histories, I'll let you know what transpires.
Thanks again.
Old 11-27-2023, 03:16 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Vessel Name: Athena
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick F View Post
Advertise on Craigslist, Trawler Forum and Facebook GB owners group.

Sell the dinghy separately - you won't get more for the main boat because of the presence of the dinghy.
I agree strongly with the dinghy separate idea.

As a former owner of wooden boats (3, all sail, 25’-48’), and also in Friday Harbor, I think the value indications from the 2023 PNW sales are quite valid.

I believe there’s also a forum linked to the wooden boat center over in Port Townsend, so I’d recommend putting word there and also in any other PT papers.
MichaelD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 03:44 PM   #19

City: Elgin
Vessel Name: m/v "Ramble On"
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 34
Having bought a GB 42 woody in 2001 for $40k and sinking $250k into it, I sold it (the fourth time, long story) for $25k. The buyer kept it under roof at marina in Alabama for a year, then a tornado hit that dock. Sunk every flashy FG boat there, my GB 42 woody got cosmetic damages and he got $59k from insurance since nobody nearby had the skill set to repair it. Then that guy sold it for $3k as is. That guy sparsed around on it for 2 years and sold it for $9k. Heck it had 840 gallons of diesel when that guy got it for $3k. He is the only fella I know that made money on a woody in the past few years. Such is the boat life...
Captain DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 05:41 PM   #20

Classified ad has now been submitted

I've listed the Grand Banks in the TF classified ads and shown some of the pictures. Thanks again for the great input on pricing and history.