Hypothetical Gas Engine Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If cost isn't an object, Yanmar has some V8 diesels that are almost a dead on fit for a boat with 454s. They're within a few pounds and very close in size.

Couple of other items not much discussed:

Larger old boats' with multiple outboard refit or new large boats built initially with multiple outboards...

1. Flotsam - More likely to hit the lower units/props: Due to general need for outboards to be at widest spread [for maneuverability] if only two outboards are used. And/or, a full bank of outboards spanning full or nearly full width of stern.

2. Damage to engines, shafts, props etc: When backing into docks and other areas... one mistake of even a somewhat powerful hit could ruin propulsion units. God forbid if docked straight in a slip or on a side tie dock and operator of another boat makes mistake and hits your outboards with much severity.

I love wide open full access swim steps with little to no encumbrances.

No new diesels for this cheapskate. The only reason I am even thinking about this is because the boat offers tremendous amenities for the price. The sea trial was a disaster and I walked because of covid and time constraints to have a vacation with my wife. No way I am taking her out in something that is problematic. Not going to start off on the wrong foot. She has been boating with me for 35 years, but I want this to be a new chapter in our future with cruising. We have never had the time or freedom to really cruise.

I come from a background of car flipping. I purchased and sold over 200 classic and muscle cars. I did it for fun, and on the whole the hobby paid for itself. If you are not incredibly careful in the purchase it is a disaster waiting to happen. Applying this buying strategy in boats is not the same. Smaller market, more complex platform, new learning curve, etc. I am trying to shed my cutthroat buying ways, but old habits die hard. I know I have alienated myself from a few brokers and owners by being "the way" I am. When I could not find a trawler after a year or so I bought a first rate Bertram for a good price, and only a good price, so that I could sell it when I needed to without getting murdered. I did not break even, but by boat standards I was fine. By car standards I got my ass handed to me.

This boat we are talking about is another compromise to use until I find my dream trawler because once again I am not finding what I want, or the sellers are not selling for what I want (they remain for sale). This boat cold turn into a long term boat if we really like it and can handle the overall size, but I feel the need to buy it right. It remains for sale. This post is an attempt to see if I could improve the circumstances into something that would make it work for me. (Covid budget) I am driven, perhaps so much so that I am thinking wrong headed. I keep the dream alive by asking questions on trawler forum. Educating myself. Trying to remain interested and invigorated even though I am not a boat owner.
I want to thank everyone who has engaged me on this thread and my journey in general. It has been a rough year. I intend to make things MUCH better in 2021 when my hands get untied.

If cost isn't an object, Yanmar has some V8 diesels that are almost a dead on fit for a boat with 454s. They're within a few pounds and very close in size.

Back
Top Bottom