Hydrogen diesel injection?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tensim

Anyone played with this idea? Reading online a bit, seems like some improvement in fuel efficiency and major improvements in particulate emissions etc? Generating hydrogen for injection on a boat should be relatively easy, maybe? Would need to desalinate and then ultra-purify seawater I guess, then store the hydrogen? ?

a great idea if you want to get your boat blown up

Hydrogen ? You think gas engines are bad ???? Diesels are not designed with any explosion proof features at all. Everything would need to be enclosed, spark proof, grounded, etc..

It would take 50% more energy to generate H2 on board than you'd get back burning it, plus the energy to compress, store and inject H2 into cylinder.

Actually you can make hydrogen and oxygen from a water solution. You don't inject it, you allow it to enter with the intake air. I've been doing it for about 50 years in cars and boats. You don't need a huge amount to get a 10-20% benefit in mileage.
You build an easy to make hydrogen generator and run the output to the air intake. Using excess alternator output, the hydrogen & oxygen is split from water and enters at low pressure. There is no storage. Production shuts off with the engine.
Using this method and a better than average fuel conditioner, I cruise at 10 knots using less than 8.5 gph in an 83', 80 ton boat. And at 1800 rpm, the Detroit Diesel naturals are running at their max continuous rating. Prior fuel usage at this rpm was 12+gph.
I have old posts about this and there's tons of info on the web and Youtube. I'm tired of the naysayers that read nothing and do nothing but claim it won't work. If someone wants to do this I'll diagram it out, but the info is already out there.

In case no one has shared this yet.

Looks like a very interesting experiment.

re: post #6...

The info is out there. Don't be that muppet.

Last edited:
re: post #6...

The info is out there. Don't be that muppet.

LOL, thank you for posting this! He's absolutely hysterical!

It's amazing how the search for, and even more amazingly the belief in, magic free energy, never ends.

Imagine how well a hydrogen generator would work combined with one of these:

Attachments

• 200mpgcarburetor.jpg
    200mpgcarburetor.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 24
LOL, thank you for posting this! He's absolutely hysterical!

It's amazing how the search for, and even more amazingly the belief in, magic free energy, never ends.

Imagine how well a hydrogen generator would work combined with one of these:

That reminds me of the mileage difference i used to achieve on my '65 GTO with the 4 barrel carburetor, v the 6 pack that was famous on other GTOs, or even the diff on my own between running with the secondaries unopened v using all 4 barrels. Every efficiency was available, just related directly to how much your foot weighed.
That is the same on our boats, efficiencies relate directly to the weight of our throttle lever, obvious when you look back to see the height of your stern wave.

As for the safety of hydrogen, it’s probably safer than propane or gasoline. Being lighter than air it won’t accumulate in the bilge like gasoline or propane vapors.

I don’t think burning it in an internal combustion engine is the most efficient way to use hydrogen. It is more efficient to run it through a fuel cell and produce electricity.

A by product would be clean fresh water captured from the fuel cell exhaust.

I don’t think there is any practical way to generate the hydrogen from seawater on the boat. The hydrogen tanks would need to be filled from shore just like hydrogen powered cars are.

Anyone played with this idea? Reading online a bit, seems like some improvement in fuel efficiency and major improvements in particulate emissions etc? Generating hydrogen for injection on a boat should be relatively easy, maybe? Would need to desalinate and then ultra-purify seawater I guess, then store the hydrogen? ?

Hi tensim,

Despite the presence of a multiplicity of snake oil anecdotal pundits on the WWW, the direct answer to your query is a resounding NO.

THe first law a thermodynamics remains immutable, and renders such gains in efficiency impossible. Unless, of course, you are a member of the Flat Earth Society. Then I suppose, anything is possible.

Regards,

Pete

200 mpg carb.......
in a 1966 oldsmobile tornado front wheel drive with a 455 rocket gm motor. That lead sled could go, but stopping it with 4 power assisted drum brakes.......
took awhile. Trawler Forum159043894.jpg

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using Trawler Forum mobile app

THe first law a thermodynamics remains immutable...
This ^^^^^^

Physics is everywhere, inconvenient as it might be.
And this ^^^^^^

It is amazing to me how many people desperately want to believe in the impossible. People constantly talk these days about how we need to "follow the science," and yet, so very few people have even the least concept of what "the science" really tells us.

It would be funny, if it wasn't just so very, very sad.

Last edited:
[It is amazing to me how many people desperately want to believe in the impossible. People constantly talk these days about how we need to "follow the science," and yet, so very few people have even the least concept of what "the science" really tells us.

It would be funny, if it wasn't just so very, very sad.[/QUOTE]

Sad indeed.

The JC Whitney approach to 60mpg carbs is alive and well today as anti nuke, anti fossil fuels and anti hydro dams strategies are implemented. Oops, it will be a cold winter in Europe. Quick, re-start those mothballed coal plants!

Back
Top Bottom