Old 07-03-2022, 08:17 AM   #1

City: Oriental
Vessel Name: Delphina
Vessel Model: President 43
Hydraulic steering

I’ve bled thr system 2 times . The fluid on the starboard turn fluid comes out. ??? Whst am I doing wrong?? I have a capilano system with the model 50 Uniflo Value. I’ve checked it and no leaks . I have followed the lines the best I can and no leaks Thank you
KEVMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:32 AM   #2
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Do you have dual steering? If yes, did you start with the upper helm first?

Why are you bleeding it. In other words did you mess with the Uniflo valve?
tiltrider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 12:01 PM   #3

Yes I have two stations . Yes I bjedvthe upper then thr lower. The reason I bled the system was because I had no sterring . I looked the best I could the whole route to the uniflo no wet areas. I did back off the screws on each side of the uniflow. Then tighten them after both station had the wheel turned 50 in each direction
Old 07-03-2022, 12:12 PM   #4

City: Newport
Vessel Name: Privateer
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVMAR View Post
Yes I have two stations . Yes I bjedvthe upper then thr lower. The reason I bled the system was because I had no sterring . I looked the best I could the whole route to the uniflo no wet areas. I did back off the screws on each side of the uniflow. Then tighten them after both station had the wheel turned 50 in each direction

You say you had no steering…. We’re you low on fluid?
SailorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 12:34 PM   #5
Guru

Let’s start over. Did you have steering and now all of a sudden you don’t or is this a new to you boat and it doesn’t have any steering.

If you have had this boat for awhile did the steering quit functioning after you did maintenance to the steering or did it just not work after returning to the boat.

Uniflo valves are notorious for failing in a way that lets the fluid just pass through.

It takes two people to properly bleed a Uniflo system, did you have two people or just your self?

Sorry for all the questions just don’t want to send you in the wrong direction.

Do you have an A/P pump attached to the system?
Old 07-03-2022, 03:40 PM   #6

I had 2 people . I had a problem about 3 months ago and was able to get the sterring back And did a five week cruise up to Chesapeake I was about to takeoff from my dock and the steering wheel just kept spinning and there’s no steerage as I said I was able to get the steering back in after we had lead the lines again this time the same problem understand we’ll just spend in the water gauge did not record starboard or port I did not have the AP on
Old 07-03-2022, 08:04 PM   #7

I could have been . But after bleeding the system I can’t get the fluid to stop coming back up and spilling out
Old 07-03-2022, 09:33 PM   #8
Guru

So if I understand correctly the unit quit working on its own, not after maintenance was performed. You found no leaks in the system but you seem to be able to bleed air. Only now fluid is overflowing as you spin the wheel. Does it overflow in both clockwise and counterclockwise spinning or just in one direction?
Old 07-04-2022, 05:35 AM   #9

Just one direction
Old 07-04-2022, 05:37 AM   #10

Just one direction clockwise
Old 07-04-2022, 06:00 AM   #11

Counterclockwise it sucks the fluid back in
Old 07-04-2022, 07:50 AM   #12
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
You need to have the autopilot turned on while bleeding the system.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:39 AM   #13
Guru

I think you have a failure in your Uniflo. But a few more questions first. How is your auto pilot plumbed in. Are each of the three lines T in with shut off valves or some other arrangement?
Old 07-04-2022, 01:42 PM   #14
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
In the library under "Manuals" on page 4 are 5 files that I posted years ago about Capilano steering systems. On our boat one of the check valves on the upper unit failed and we lost steering (parts are available from Seastar), easy fix..... Seee attached screenshot as to what I uploaded............
Attached Thumbnails
CapSteering.jpg  
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 07:32 PM   #15

I tried to open the attachments but would not open . Where is the library located ?
Old 07-04-2022, 07:40 PM   #16
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Those aren't the attachments but a screen shot showing them in the library, look for the library button on the top right of the Trawler Forum page.

Here is a link to page 4 of the "Manuals" section, https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...rt=date&page=4
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 08:34 PM   #17
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
I redid mine a long time ago now. I too have the Wagner pumps with the Uniflow valve.

I had some repairs to be done, leaking and cracked flare fittings, kinked copper tubing, leaking and bypassing cylinder so all the oil was drained.

To refill and purge:
I fitted my top [bridge] pump with a fitting for a 1/4ID hose and lead that to a one gallon fuel jug about 1/2 filled with the oil I was using, Dexron ATF.

Air in the system will be forced out as you turn the wheel which pushes oil ahead of it. When it reaches the top pump it will blow the oil all over the place creating a big mess unless lead to the jug. NO, a tray/pan will not likely work.

The hose to the jug stops this. THe air bubbles now have a place to blow out without spraying the deck.

Just be sure the hose cannot jump out of the jug or come off the fittings at the pump.

Also when you reverse direction of the wheel the hose will feed/suck oil into the pump when turning the other direction. It took a lot of cranking of course but I eventually got it working.

No need to constantly check the oil level in the upper pump. You will have to check the oil level in the jug.

It sure cut down on the upper pump refilling. Without the jug I would to often not check enough and suck in more air defeating the purpose.

After about every 20 -30 turns of the upper pump I would go down and crank the lower helm a bunch of times to ensure it was filled and working.

How is the cylinder mounted? If like mine the cylinder oil ports face downwards remove the cylinder and lay it in the bilge so the oil ports face upwards. Otherwise air will get stuck in the cylinder and not all of it will exit.
My ports are fed by hydraulic hose with some flexibilty, a pain but workable.

THen with the Uniflow bleed ports slightly open no air will re enter the cylinder as you continue to purge and refill the system.

THere are two bypass screws on that Uniflow valve, one at each end which should be unscrewed SLIGHTLY, Maybe 1/2 turn. I would also replace the O rings as the old ones may have hardened and no longer seal properly once disturbed.
THose screws allow the oil to bypass the cylinder and vent/drain air directly to the center return hose.

Remount the cylinder once the air has been purged from the system and oil refilled.

THere may still be a small amount of air in the overall system but a couple of runs and some pitching and rolling will purge the remainder. Just remember to check the upper pump fill and top up as needed.

If you lost the oil then it had to go somewhere. Slow weeps can allow the upper pump level to drop enough for your steering to suck in air. You must check periodically for the level in that upper pump and maintain the level so the pump itself is covered in oil. If allowed to drop and expose the pump part the system will suck in air.

To check for weeps looking may not be enough. I use the blue Scot paper shop towels as even tiny amounts of wetness will show dark , a distinct colour change that a white towel won't.

Often the oil coating will be so thin or light that it is not easily visible.

Wipe ALL fittings in the system with those towels and examine closely for any sign of oil, colour change. Ignore no fittings. THe oil may drop out of sight and not show.

Wrap the fittings with those towels if need be. Even tiny leaks will likely be exposed. Even those tiny leaks can allow oil to escape and maybe allow air to be sucked into the lines.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote