Hydraulic Davit Maintenance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ERTF

I'm debating whether to purchase a davit to put my 1000+lb tender up top. I'm a keep it simple and economical type of guy, so I'd prefer pipe davit, but it's way more likely to find a used hydraulic lift (manual rotation) in the 1500# capacity.

I'm just wondering how often components on those hydraulic units go bad, and how expensive they are to rebuild?

Last edited:
Depends on initial quality and how often you use. I've seen few components that a hydraulic shop couldn't fix or rebuild.

I personally found the Marquipt folks to be very helpful, since you are in Miami, they would (or did for me at least) send someone down to meet you at the boat and go over all the issues.

I've heard, but have no direct experience with, that UMT is also good quality and service down there.

What kind of boat? Is it designed to carry a boat up top?

It's a Marine Trader 44. Plenty of identical boats came with a pipe davit, and carry their dinghy on the sundeck hardtop. Never saw a tender as big as mine up there, but I'm pretty confident the deck would support the weight. I'm less certain about if it's robust enough for the torsion involved in the lifting process. And I'm uncertain about how that much weight up there would affect the big boat in rough seas.

I missed the mention of looking for a used one. You could ask around Sailorman, Marine Liquidators and the boatyards, perhaps even one of the davit suppliers would know of take-offs for people upgrading.

What kind of tender? A naval architect, the davit guys or a yard would likely have an idea of the affect on your particular boat, they have to deal with that regularly.

I have my eye on a used manual rotation hydraulic unit, that is cheaper than I could get a new (equivalent strength) pipe davit made. I'm just trying to ascertain what kind of additional costs I might be getting myself in to with the hydraulic. I assume besides a cheap electric winch, the fixed pipe davits are basically good for life? So i'm just wondering if a used hydraulic would be a "little cheaper now, but alot more expensive later" situation.

Last edited:
The tender is a 14ft Twin Vee. For you west coast guys it's basically a 14ft Livingston hull. Except it has a flush deck, console, raised bow deck, 50hp 4stroke.

I would set it down crossways. My hardtop is 11ft wide. I would have the stern of the tender essentially flush with the edge of the hadtop and the lower unit would hang down vertically, then on the otherside the bow would stick out alnost 3ft. It'd look a little kooky, but i don't care. Obviously I would absolutely go overkill with strapping it down tight.

I live on the hook, and my skiff would continue to live in the water 99% of the time. So I'm not concerned if it's a bit of a PITA of an excersize. But it'd be really nice to be able to get it up top for making a long icw run with alot of lift bridges as well as for locks, fuel dock, etc. Same thing for an ocean run, because with the local inlets you really need the right tide and weather to tow thru safely. It's difficult to be able to time that right on both ends. It would also allow me to fish from my trawler. I can't really troll while towing. So as it is i just take my skiff offshore, instead of the big boat.

Lastly, is maintenance. I need to put a new outboard on. By the time I pay a yard for in and out, plus everything else, I could just put that money towards a davit. And that will continue to save me $ every year when I paint the bottom.

My hydraulic crane has never need any maintenance other than topping off hydraulic fluid. My electric winch has required expensive motor rebuilds.

Hydraulic systems are just a collection of pistons and an electric pump.

My hydraulic crane has never need any maintenance other than topping off hydraulic fluid. My electric winch has required expensive motor rebuilds.

Hydraulic systems are just a collection of pistons and an electric pump.

Why can't you just use a cheap harbor freight winch? Keep it covered. Carry a spare, and just swap out when corrosion gets it.

I got caught on this some time ago when I suggested a winch. A winch like you propose has no provision for holding any load from runback. Meaning if you stop lifting the load's weight MAY cause the load to drop unwinding the cable.

You need a locking pawl type of winch, a worm gear type drive, or a brake equipped winch which will hold the load in whatever position you stop the lift at.

THere is a big difference between dragging something over the ground vs a lift where a load is hanging.

Be carefull.

JMO

I got caught on this some time ago when I suggested a winch. A winch like you propose has no provision for holding any load from runback. Meaning if you stop lifting the load's weight MAY cause the load to drop unwinding the cable.

You need a locking pawl type of winch, a worm gear type drive, or a brake equipped winch which will hold the load in whatever position you stop the lift at.

THere is a big difference between dragging something over the ground vs a lift where a load is hanging.

Be carefull.

JMO

Ok...I figured that might be the reason.

Back
Top Bottom