Old 09-17-2015, 10:33 AM   #1
Guru

City: Sidney
Hurricane prep.

Although I've seen firsthand the results of a hurricane in the Bahamas, it's still hard to grasp the prep you east coasters must go through every time a TS starts building.

I've read about moving your boats inland and wonder about that process.
Do safe harbours and marinas just open up to all who can squeeze in? In fact, seeing how far inland these things can go, what determines one moorage is safer than another? Surge?

How many of you pull your boats out of the water and how do you decide where to stick it?

What else?
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:43 AM   #2

City: LAFAYETTE,LA
Vessel Name: Relenti
Vessel Model: Atlantic 30, 1983
My plan is to run up the river 40 or 50 miles and tie off to trees along the river bank. The shrimpers in our area have been doing that for many years. Of course you need to stay on the boat to tend the lines. Just need a 8 hr head start.
ddalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:26 AM   #3
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
It depends on several factors: Strength of storm, how exposed normal slip is, available hiding spots inland, available haulouts for storage on the hard, risk tolerance of owner, insurance requirements, etc.

I have things I do for mild storms, but get up to a 3 and the list gets pretty detailed. A 4 or 5 and it hardly matters, time for self preservation. As in RUN AWAY.

I'm in the dead end of a boat basin, and for bad storms I stretch lines between the two bulkheads, keeping the boat in between. Probably ok for a 3.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:41 AM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
It depends on several factors: Strength of storm, how exposed normal slip is, available hiding spots inland, available haulouts for storage on the hard, risk tolerance of owner, insurance requirements, etc.

I have things I do for mild storms, but get up to a 3 and the list gets pretty detailed. A 4 or 5 and it hardly matters, time for self preservation. As in RUN AWAY.

I'm in the dead end of a boat basin, and for bad storms I stretch lines between the two bulkheads, keeping the boat in between. Probably ok for a 3.
Nice to see you're not a stubborn, go down with the ship kinda guy.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:20 PM   #5
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
I'll tell you what it is: a royal PITA no matter what your situation is. There are dozens and dozens of variables involved for any given storm and precise characteristics of your location.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:55 PM   #6
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Yeah, no two alike...

We can haul (insurance pays some of that for named storms "here") or we can move to another more protected marina, ideally with good floating docks (did that for the last two, and they didn't come "right here").

Stayed in our own slip for Isabel in 2003 (I think?), but it was a 24' wide slip and we had a skinnier boat. We fared OK, but surge was a bear so the marina was flooded as were low-lying local houses...

-Chris
Old 09-17-2015, 02:03 PM   #7

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddalme View Post
My plan is to run up the river 40 or 50 miles and tie off to trees along the river bank. The shrimpers in our area have been doing that for many years. Of course you need to stay on the boat to tend the lines. Just need a 8 hr head start.
Can't take my boat that far inland but 10 miles up north of Lake Ponchatrain is about my limit with bridge and depth restrictions...
However, I would not stay onboard during any cat. storm. Not worth putting your life in harms way. Several friends thought this would be a great adventure staying on board their 53ft boat holed up in the ICW during Ivan. Lets just say they won't be doing it again.
ragin cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:13 PM   #8
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
We were in Wrightsville Beach, NC when Sandy was approaching. We headed 15 miles up the Cape Fear river to Wilmington, NC and Bennett Brothers Marina and tied up with an array of lines. We carefully watched the weather predictions and stayed aboard as the storm was to miss us and only 40 mph winds were expected. Worked out just fine. However, I had rented a car and had a hotel reservation. I ain't no hero. My philosophy is do the best you can to secure the boat, get the hell off and wish the insurance company good luck.

Howard
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:36 PM   #9
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
When I lived in SE NC, just above Little River, SC, we did the up the river thing, going up the Shallotte River as far as we could and tying off to trees. If you are in a marina with floating docks, pay attention to how tall the pilings are, I have seen the storm surge push the floating docks higher than the pilings, that is a real catastrophe for all. Other than that, all the normal stuff, nothing loose, all canvas down, and the like. Don't have those problems now in the PNW! We are only worried about tsunamis from "The Big One" that is predicted.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:51 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
. Don't have those problems now in the PNW! We are only worried about tsunamis from "The Big One" that is predicted.
I think that I prefer our hurricanes.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:59 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
We headed 15 miles up the Cape Fear river to Wilmington, NC and Bennett Brothers Marina
Do you know before you go that there is room at the marina?
People ever get there and it's full?
Are most places co-operative or do they rub their hands together and jack the prices?
Old 09-17-2015, 03:09 PM   #12
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Are most places co-operative or do they rub their hands together and jack the prices?

We know, and make a reservation, in advance. Usually 3 days early, in our case. No sign of price hikes around here, at least not that I've seen.

Of course, some marinas do have limits on how many boats they think they can handle for a given event. I was about the last one in at the marina we went to for Irene in 2011. They still had empty slips, but also had to worry about overall loads on their (very new, very tall) piles for the floating docks.... so they set a limit for stay-in-ers.

But there would have been other options. Turned out that marina was a bit too open from the west to suit me, in retrospect, so we went elsewhere during Sandy.

-Chris
Old 09-17-2015, 03:23 PM   #13

City: Marathon
Vessel Name: silver gift
Vessel Model: 45 jefferson
Here in south Florida ,fort Lauderdale, the large marine have hurricane space they sell and if a named storm comes you have a space at their marina, you paid for the space and hope you don't need it. Most large yachts do this. Most small boaters move inland as most marinas ask that you leave. In the keys the harbor cay club ask all to leave and moor in boot keys mooring field which is rated to 130 mph. I leave the keys and stay at my dock in ft Lauderdale, up the new river, and tie across the canal,set a anchor bow and stern and double all lines and hope for the best. The tidal surge won't get this far up river. When Wilma 2010 hit near the keys we had a 4 ft surge come across from the gulf with 3ft waves , all ground level areas were damaged and anything counter height or below had to be replaced. You prepare for the worst and hope for the best. After 40 years as a boat owner, I've gotten use to the drill.
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:30 PM   #14
Guru

Thanks you guys.
Fascinating.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:45 PM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Fl
When Sandy hit LI Sound I had my 36' sailboat (12,000 lbs) at that time, I reversed it stern to the wind on a 500lb then 4 lines to mooring ball at different locations.

I had the only boat in the harbor facing that (wrong) way.

Removed everything the mainsail the boom, all halyards were hoisted up to reduce windage. Except place 4 fender on stern tied off tight in case someone came down on me dragging their mooring.

Sailboats just swing less due to the under-body.

Called insurance and asked to email conformation policy was in effect.

about a dozen boats dragged several bad, but no one had big damage.
Jimbo2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:52 PM   #16
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
This was in preparation for Jimena in 2009, Santa Rosalia, MX. I think we had something like 13 lines out and stripped everything off of Hobo. The wind and the rain were the big concerns. The area had historically minimal storm serge.
Attached Thumbnails
H 1.jpg   H2.jpg   H3.jpg  
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:04 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
It was kind of amazing. We called for a reservation and they gave us one. As for the price, they had a promo at the Anapolis Power Boat Show offering a free week at the marina for those that had visited their booth at the show. We happened to do that a few weeks earlier. They honored it and it cost us nothing. In addition, they loaned us a car as needed. These are great people and real craftsmen at Bennett Brothers.

Howard
Old 09-17-2015, 04:23 PM   #18
Guru

I'm kind of surprised Bennett didn't put you up on the hill. When we stopped cruising full time, I elected to pay Jarrett Bay Boatworks inland from Beaufort NC annual protection money for a guaranteed spot on the hard. They have an extremely professional and well organized program, and as liveaboards gave us as well as commercial guys positions that allowed "last in, first out" appointments. They also block the boats and chain the stands correctly. I figure if worst happened is there'd we be in what I believe is the biggest marine industrial park on the eastern seaboard, if not the country.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 09-17-2015, 04:43 PM   #19
Guru

wow, was this hurricane prep or was there a small tornado in your boat?
Old 09-17-2015, 06:28 PM   #20
Guru

Yes, hurricane prep. That was all the aft deck furniture and all the seat pads and covers from the foredeck and flying bridge.