Hurricane plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As has been mentioned above, everyone's plan will be somewhat different based upon their individual needs and conditions. If it is a major storm there are some further considerations to influence your decisions. What to do after the storm when power, water, and other utilities are not available.
Well, in that case being on the boat with self contained water, power, refrigeration, and ability to float during a surge are certainly items to think about. After Katrina numerous homeless employees in the New Orleans area were provided living space on the ACL towboats and fleet boats in N.O. on the river.

I'm not in a hurricane area and my insurance company hasn't asked. But if they did, I'd march across the street to my neighbour who specializes in insurance law and claims, about the ramifications of the question. I'd do that before I said anything to the insurer. In other words if you're looking for advice, I'd get it from someone who knows the legal ramifications.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

I suggest asking the insurance company to be more specific about the requested hurricane plan. Surely they have asked the same of other customers.

My marina requires a hurricane plan. The options are:

1) They haul and block the boat (for a fee).

2) Get the boat out of the marina. It doesn't matter to us where you take it but you can't leave it here.

In Florida, it is illegal for a marina to force you to evacuate for a hurricane. Some other states have similar laws.

In Florida, it is illegal for a marina to force you to evacuate for a hurricane. Some other states have similar laws.

Even with floating docks? After the disasters a few years ago at places like Ft Pierce that surprises me. NC marinas have the right to eject you, I know that.

Even with floating docks? After the disasters a few years ago at places like Ft Pierce that surprises me. NC marinas have the right to eject you, I know that.

Yes. And floating docks are such a mixed bag. Those built recently and correctly for hurricanes, do a great job. The older ones with inadequate tie down and posts, float away.

Two reasons for the law. 1-They don't want people endangering their own lives in the process of moving a boat. 2-There are just far more boats than there are places to go.

Yes, I will correct. It's illegal to make them move but if you have storage, you may move them and charge the owner, if the contract calls for it. So, the situation presented is legal in Florida. However, at least in South Florida, a marina moving the vessel would be highly unlikely. They have no where to store the boats or to move them to.

The clause just requiring the owner to evacuate the boat isn't allowed.

If they did move your boat and it subsequently got damaged, I would assume there would probably be some liability issues as well......

"Even with floating docks?"

The pilings on most floating docks can not handle a local 12 to 15 ft storm surge.

Even hauled 12 -15 Ft of water may float the boats in the boat yard.

That's why folks go to a Hurricane Hole midstate or get out of the hurricane area .

It is not the marinas responsibility to have pilings long enough for a storm surge.

Reading the clause, and more importantly the intent...

The marina can have Sea Tow tow you to another marina, have you hauled and blocked and charge you for it....as long as it is reasonable.

It ALSO holds the marina NOT liable...being leaving the boat wherever was was juust as big a liability and the marina was acting in good faith. As usual, negligence is not an excuse or a defense and therefore could justify a suit.

Last edited:
If they did move your boat and it subsequently got damaged, I would assume there would probably be some liability issues as well......

Actually Florida law as referenced above provides them pretty strong protection against that. Doesn't say they couldn't be sued, but some form of extreme negligence would have to be proved. The law was written in a way as to not make them scared to make what they felt was the appropriate decision.

Only problem with any of that is around here, they've got nowhere on land to put the boats and most don't have the means to do so anyway.

Having lived in South Florida under a couple of hurricane warnings (which included the chore of shuttering the house), but not owning a boat at the time, what I observed in the Del Rey, Boca, Deerfield and Hillsboro Inlet area was people getting boats off the dock and spider webbed into fairways and canals. Some guys took their boat as far away as the "cone" as possible into the mangroves somewhere. Leaving it tied to any kind of dock being the least desirable option.

Again, it all comes down to having a plan, verifying its viability with others and executing it as early as possible.

Greetings from New Delhi! Thank you all for the wealth of information. BandB, I really like your approach...

I have two options on my plan. First, I pay a yearly reserve fee to be hauled within the levee system at Seabrook Marine for any named storm in our area. If the storm is anything like a Katrina/Rita I would run it north across Lake Ponchartrain and up the Tchefuncta River as far up as possible, secure it, then take the dingy to the nearest take out point and leave. No way would I ride out one of those big storms on a boat. I've been through too many hurricanes down here to take a chance with my life staying aboard.

Ragin Cajun: From the pics we were getting last week it looked like the Pearl and the Tchefuncta Rivers were up pretty good. That may have been more rain that your typical hurricane would drop.

... No way would I ride out one of those big storms on a boat. I've been through too many hurricanes down here to take a chance with my life staying aboard.

It's a personal choice and one I agree with it, we won't stay on the boat. We were in Trinidad and helped with the relief effort when Ivan went through. The boats at anchor in Grenada mostly ended up on the beach or sunk. One drags and there goes everyone in their path.

Hurricane Odile in La Paz, 2014, 3 experienced cruisers lost their lives by staying on their boats.

A lot depends on the situation but if all hell breaks loose, there is nothing you can do. It's too late to change your plan.

Last edited:
Larry M you are absolutely right on it being a personal choice. I typically stay on my boat during a storm, but I do not stay in one spot. With the forecasting and predictions on surge, winds, and location it would be hard to believe one would sneak up on you if you are paying attention. Which gives the opportunity often a week or more to move out of the way. Usually run west our south but like I said look at the weather information. I can travel over 180 nm per day if I have to. That gives a lot of room for safety.

Ragin Cajun: From the pics we were getting last week it looked like the Pearl and the Tchefuncta Rivers were up pretty good. That may have been more rain that your typical hurricane would drop.

Your right Ulysses, far more rain with that recent front, 12-18'', than the last three hurricanes. I still don't trust the levee' system that surrounds New Orleans. That's why in a big storm I'd rather run north up a river system than keep the boat on the hard in sight of the levee in the 9th ward.
I really prefer to move the boat west of any system but the hassle of going through the locks in N.O. with everyone else would be a complete nightmare. Besides, you're stuck to the west bound ICW for at least 80 miles in lowlands that will flood quite easily, even worse than north of the Lake P.

No Problem, just tie up to some pilings you'll be ok!

Attachments

• Piling.JPG
    Piling.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 44
Ragin Cajun: Good points on all. I gathered your and most everyone else's opinion of the new and improved levee system when I read your post of going up the Tchefuncte. I am not sure about the flatland marsh surges westward. I noticed several new control structures on Bayou Lafourche and other inlets out that way. Steve might know more than I about those.

Ragin Cajun: Good points on all. I gathered your and most everyone else's opinion of the new and improved levee system when I read your post of going up the Tchefuncte. I am not sure about the flatland marsh surges westward. I noticed several new control structures on Bayou Lafourche and other inlets out that way. Steve might know more than I about those.
You seem to know this area very well! Yep, the Lafourche/Houma area has several control structures that will help with storm surge. However, from the Atchafalaya delta, both east and west, there are no such structures, Cote Blanche/Vermilion Bay are totally open to storm surge which will bring water into Morgan City westward to New Iberia and Abbeville . Just a 5ft storm surge will send water 20 miles inland in these areas.

R.C. One option would be to get up the Port Allen Route above Bayou Sorrell Locks but that is still a pretty good haul from the Industrial Canal. I have seen a 5 foot surge go up the Miss. River once or twice.
Yes, I have had a little boating experience in your neighborhood but it was a few years back when the side wheeled steam boats plied those waters.

For those hurricane followers, yes I know that Katrina hit N.O. with a hard surge, but it came in the backdoor up the MRGO (fifty or so miles to the Gulf) while the Miss. R. is 110 miles up from the Gulf. Camille brought a surge up the River in 69.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom