Old 01-01-2021, 07:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Long Island
Vessel Name: Sea Change
Hurricane Plan

AS I near purchase of a new to me 50+ foot trawler I am finding insurance company's want to see your "Hurricane Plan". Ummmm stay out of its path? Batten down the hatches? I've never owned anything large or costly enough where this was an issue. Anybody willing to post/share what is expected/prudent/best practices? I would love to better understand what the insurance folks are looking for and begin to learn what SHOULD be done to protect MY investment.

Also - recently heard of a couple coming up on renewal of a policy and a named storm was in the Atlantic. Insurance company refused to renew until storm had passed.
FIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:54 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Your plan is just that, a plan of what you intend to do. I encourage very careful wording. Ours reads a a list of actions we may or may not take. Do not promise. You may not be able to deliver on that promise. Ours includes several items listed but which we'll do if any depends on so many circumstances.

Even the simplest thing might be impossible or negated by other priorities. I'll give you a simple example. You say you'll double tie and remove all canvas. Easy. Not easy if you're stuck 1000 miles away with your family at your parent's house and not going to then drive yourself and family into the storm. Just outline reasonable steps that you'll consider. For instance you may put that you'll run the boat somewhere you feel is safer, but you may not be able to do that. Always remember human safety comes first. I know a family in Rockport, TX when Harvey hit. Their boat was in the canal behind their house. They did nothing to protect their boat and it didn't have a scratch on it. Their house was reduced to a pile of rubble, including all their storm shutters.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:02 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Ask your marina for examples of a hurricane plan. They may have some to model yours after. Or maybe the boats near yours in the marina. The insurance company also may have sample plans.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:56 PM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Ask your marina for examples of a hurricane plan. They may have some to model yours after. Or maybe the boats near yours in the marina. The insurance company also may have sample plans.
Just no promises.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 07:05 AM   #5
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Have kept boat in leewards for part of hurricane season as needed to go home quickly and had to delay passage. For Pantaenius and Concepts Special risk requirements were about the same.
Strapped down every 10’, type and strength of strap required varied slightly. Both listed requirements for strap anchors/blocks. Both wanted a cradle. Both wanted boat out of the water. Both wanted everything that could be removed to be removed (canvas, cushions etc.) . Both were placated by presence of yacht management and wanted to see that agreement. Both did not want any covering (cloth or shrink wrap). (We had UV cover removed before any storm as yard required that) .
So there’s slight variations between companies. Part of your insurance brokers job is to educate you what a particular insurance company will accept as a plan. In the Caribbean due to recent history it’s hard to find coverage at all so you will pay through the nose. It’s often cheaper to just get out of the zone even if you need to hire a captain. Fortunately only dealt with this once. Another year just went below 10. Usually just sailed home to New England and avoided the issue. Several of my powerboat friends do the same and go above 40 or if in Florida go inland. Believe Indian Town suffices.
Once you’re out of the zone “named storm “ requirements are much less onerous but they are sure nitpicks inside the zone.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:56 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
We keep our hurricane plan vague. Don’t get into too much detail. It can back and haunt you later.

This is basically the same plan we have submitted for the last 20 years. Some years we’re cruising and some we’re in Florida during hurricane season.

Here's a copy of out hurricane plan that we have submitted to our insurance company with no comments back from them.

Hurricane Plan for the m/v Hobo

Larry M.../Lena B...
August 2020

If we are in an area that is prone to hurricanes or cyclones:

We obtain our weather information from NOAA, Buoyweather (a fee subscription weather service), and local sources. NOAA and Buoyweather data are accessed daily using the SSB radio and pactor modem or via the internet. (We have email on the vessel.) We also obtain local forecasts daily via various cruiser SSB nets. We plot storm tracks.

If we are unable to run and/or avoid a storm, vessel preparations would vary with location and would include (in order of preference): 1) Haul out in a secure boat yard and remove all exterior canvas and attachments. 2) Go far up a river and secure the boat with anchors and lines to shore. 3) Secure the boat in the most protected harbor or marina we can find.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 09:01 AM   #7
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
For ours, we just put down that we planned to tie up to trees in a protected bayou about ten miles from our marina. I didn't put any more detail in than that and they were okay with it.

And, that's exactly what we do every time. I would be leery of committing to a hurricane plan that I didn't think I could do.

If we're ever actually cruising and threatened with a hurricane, I plan to do the exact same thing, just wherever we are. That would seem to be the reasonable thing to do.

As far as boat yards, we got through the last hurricane here (Zeta) with zero damage in our little bayou hurricane hole, whereas several boats got blown off their stands at the local boatyard. Without hurricane straps, boatyards aren't that great a place to ride out a hurricane.

Staying in marinas was the worst. Lots of sunk and damaged boats. Anchoring was next. Probably half the boats that anchored in our protected bay, ended up on land.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote