Hurricane Lines?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow! That would be more than a bit disconcerting! When the piling broke, did it sink or float? Much damage to the boat?

It was but one of the many guilty parties (led by yours truly) in a complex Charlie Foxtrot-induced unfortunate sequence of events that resulted in this:

The line shown was attached after the farce was over, to keep it from becoming a hazard to others. I think it may have still been attached a bit to its former bottom half. Nice illustration of how robust that backing plate system Hatteras used, that I mentioned in a "cleats" thread.

8NfbNEW3ZqB02E4LbvoH6Y46tf_mpv3sC2faxUrL_VpvrIEijnPBdXYx-ignnPVy4c1Tt92cWr8gFNFsU1YSXfcBKv235OmIS6q1FKpp4NKG50NgBsZsfxr_Y67pjH7R0nEtDSWSYFpsL69eXZteU8wN2hT63iFE_vu2JTI2yMLuyLv3pfTPg2m9pFYhvLQ9phYXpdRtvGlN3B9mKn58UImL5SKHpo_bEPqhu4FsSngNg2cykM20QB8Xyh7elGh8hu3PGHln9m2dT_45azpWhczT4_0jzEw_ixsPmTI0qO_iDyxzdMXzdGZ1PbWnqq7-AEevMJo02SRyCMPuVzsCVo2CDbVHs_vymj_ODq9wXnsUs5LuUe2-fKkuxMmazvqLOroD_qnhPDBbuOPGM58wtvFK0QL1IvcIgIRww243Gz3NYxYYbQA3w3JR3TsFhs-PjHo677XCrIpEwuyeXaVvgM1NMHhOBCXRqw0cDoxARwF3n7lcjCvHkf49oPn9cYUhfV5I5EqXJgogspr0ihiPErEGhr9dl2DgbW0g15VtIQZNmnEw775CyVDHWo6hU59_dmnD7cjmMyDj76ePUEGlrXUcsuiz8UlUWlynI_kL59vLUk2IrM1KK6Zjep_gwuhUdiDAKR9YgO9_pUtvK_xGukFTD2eCYmXGgVPHCMyHlW6aW14gi1dihw=w600-h800-no

I used to break pilings all the time when I dredged slips by boat prop.

Some sank, some floated well buy many if not most floated like deadheads do.

A couple of things. I spent a few hurricanes tied in the mangroves with my dad, I was a kid then and my mom wanted to get rid of both of us I guess, we took the boat to the Flamingo area and found a small shallow opening in the mangroves and ran the boat in bow first. He made it a point to inform me that you can put many lines on a cleat as long as they won’t pull in the same direction. We tied off to mangrove roots. He also dropped an anchor off the stern to help leaving. The only problem was it took hours to clean all the leaves, spiders and bugs off the boat. Fishing was great just before the storm hit and I remember catching lots of snook to eat. As a kid I never new how dangerous it was to spen the night in the mangroves.

Concerning pilings. This past summer I had a company come out to my dock and wrap the pilings with a fiberglass face and then pour in hydraulic cement down two feet into the mud bottom and about four feet above. It’s as strong as new.

"It was but one of the many guilty parties (led by yours truly) in a complex Charlie Foxtrot-induced unfortunate sequence of events that resulted in this:"

Pardon me???

While the obvious apparent problem is chaff, I believe that the research shows that heat building up where the line bends causing the individual fibers to burn.
Akin to cutting the line, one strand at a time.

While the obvious apparent problem is chaff, I believe that the research shows that heat building up where the line bends causing the individual fibers to burn.
Akin to cutting the line, one strand at a time.

That is why you want chaffing gear that will allow rain and sea water to soak through so the water will help cool the like. I don’t use hose as chaffing gear for that reason.

Hi, Shortly after I purchased the Celestial, a hurricane came wandering by. I ran an anchor line out about 150' on both bow and stern. I had not had time to outfit the boat with Chafe-Pro protectors as I later did. So, I raided the rag-bag and my closet and got 6 (I think) pairs of old denim jeans and cut them up, one leg for each line where the line would touch the boat. I split each pants leg on the inner seam and cut them off just below the pockets. I then split the ends and made tie-tabs on each end. At the boat, everywhere the rode touched the boat, hawse hole, anchor davit, or deck chock, I tightly tied one end of a leg to the rode, then wrapped the line with the denim so it would lay flat and overlapped the proceeding wrap until I reached the tie tabs at the other end of the leg and lay where I wanted it to. I wrapped it opposite to the lay of the rode. The storm came and went and I removed all of the chafe-protecting denim pants legs. There was quite a bit of chafe on the anchor rode's denim legs and where, when the tide/surge came up, the bow lines rubbed the top of the bow. None of the rodes were damaged, except where the stern lines crossed. They had no chafe protection, as I thought that when one was tight, the other would be loose, so they would not chafe. Wrong. The spring lines stretched more than I thought they would, so the fore-aft motion caused by the wind gusts pulled both stern lines tight - hence the chaffing against each other as the boat "danced" to the buffeting winds. The stern lines were only slightly damaged but I replaced them anyway. The hurricane went farther west than forecast, so we really did not have a great amount of strong winds and I was able to go on the boat and observe how everything was holding up. Ultimately, I was very surprised at how well the denim material held up to the sawing motion, especially on the anchor rodes and bow lines where they passed through the deck chocks.

My experience is with Hurricane Harvey where the eye of the hurricane passed directly over my boat.
1) no one thought it would come over us so no one did anything special.
2) in the marina next door to my private slip, many boats were pushed on shore along with the docks they were tied to.
3) in the canal, where my two slips are, just 200 feet away, a 36 foot Gulfstar was tied for a summer day and had sails on both the boom and the forestay, was UNHARMED.
4) most are concerned about their own skins not their boats, so if you have a special place, it will probably be available......but maybe no safer than ANY PLACE else.

Hello ERTF and friends from the Trawler community, for the past 20 years I’ve been dealing with hurricane season in Puerto Rico. I’m from the west side of the island, each time a hurricane is announced, the marina requests that the boats should take shelter and protect their boats in the mangroves, but we do have a few mangrove lagoons or hurricane holes, that we use to protect our boats in the event of a hurricane like George, Irma, and Maria. I use 5/8 3 strand lines and if you’re going into the mangroves, I suggest you try to go as far into the mangrove as possible and leave 2 anchors aft. The lines should be in front and in the sides, for me 5/8’s have worked very good. I’m including a few pictures showing the way I do it each time a hurricane or a tropical storm is passing by. My Trawler survived Hurricanes George, Hugo, Hortencia, Irma, and Maria, only suffering small cosmetic damages using this technique and I’m also including a picture before and after.

I can’t get the attachments to work either.

I’m from the west side of the island, each time a hurricane is announced, the marina requests that the boats should take shelter and protect their boats in the mangroves, but we do have a few mangrove lagoons or hurricane holes, that we use to protect our boats in the event of a hurricane like George, Irma, and Maria.

With the ocean warming apparently the Mangrove trees are migrating north up the Eastern US coast. Maybe in a couple decades folks will have more mangrove swamps to use as hurricane holes?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom