Hurricane Isaias— Stuart and Ft Pierce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Anyone prepping their boats for this storm? Scott? You still in Ft Pierce?

I’m wondering what a 6’ storm surge would be like in Stuart or Ft Pierce?

Glad Larry and Lena talked me into moving the boat up to Jacksonville from the old fixed dock where I was in Stuart.

Last edited:
I'm still down from the surgery but decided to wait until tomorrow to see what the wind forecast is to decide if Sian should put the deck seat covers and cushions away and maybe add a line.

Right now it looks like 25-35 at the worst here. We are on the coast though so Ortega will probably be lighter since it is twenty miles or so further west.

I'm still down from the surgery but decided to wait until tomorrow to see what the wind forecast is to decide if Sian should put the deck seat covers and cushions away and maybe add a line.

Right now it looks like 25-35 at the worst here. We are on the coast though so Ortega will probably be lighter since it is twenty miles or so further west.

Yeah winds don’t look bad, and doesn’t look like much of a surge issue for Jacksonville either right?

Yeah winds don’t look bad, and doesn’t look like much of a surge issue for Jacksonville either right?

Nope. Will be like a light nor Easter with some water pushed up and higher high and low tides. But nothing much. In fact the weather is for sun with TSs, so not much in the way of rain forecast right now either.

Last edited:
Cool. Hope your recovery goes smoothly and quickly.

Still in Ft Pierce area...but both boat and I are inland. Winds may not even be hurricane force on land, maybe just the Island and Indian River.

Surge....hard to tell, small inlets and big river...so other than the beach, I would have to look at the NOAA surge predictions but they won't affect me or the boat in Indiantown.

I will drive out Monday and check it before my summer RV road trip.

Looks like mostly a lot of rain and a little wind as it moves north with more risk from flooding than anything. Right now over Andros and at this time just really appears to have lost a lot of it's initial speed and strength. Can always change but the threat now seems to have been significantly reduced.

Still in Ft Pierce area...but both boat and I are inland. Winds may not even be hurricane force on land, maybe just the Island and Indian River.

Surge....hard to tell, small inlets and big river...so other than the beach, I would have to look at the NOAA surge predictions but they won't affect me or the boat in Indiantown.

I will drive out Monday and check it before my summer RV road trip.

Oh didn’t realize you were in Indiantown. Good spot. I have stayed there a few nights and have had some interesting rum-induced conversations with some of the folks there. Always an eclectic crowd. [emoji41]

Looks like the storm is starting to veer west and lose strength, so hopefully it will be mostly a non-event.

Non-event for Miami and south of Ft Lauderdale. Rain bands and higher than normal winds. I don’t expect to see and feel the effects of a storm surge. There is a lot of space and water between Ft Lauderdale and Haulover inlet.

Irma gave us about 3ft storm surge but, forgot to look at the state of a normal tide.

Hey thanks! I have a guy Larry introduced me to who is supposed to be checking on the boat, but I will let you know if he can’t.

How are you doing? How’s the tug business?

"I’m wondering what a 6’ storm surge would be like in Stuart or Ft Pierce? "

In many shore side towns, at the shore, phone poles are marked with the number of feet the water rise is.

Im watching what you guys are doing in FL and wondering how bad it will be in NC

Media portrays it as a coming disaster (per usual), but windy says hardly no wind, minor gusts.
I know there will be rain. But I dont yet see a need to do major prep on my boat as of near 8am sunday morn.

But Im keeping my websites open and looking

Tim

Depends if it regains strength and the exact path.

Here in FT Pierce, we were expecting winds gusting 80-100 at one point several days ago....today's forecast...highest winds probably 30-40..... but it is to the east of the coast, travelling at 9 mph.

If it gets out over the open ocean/ gulf stream on the way north and makes landfall just to the south of you...sure .....you could have a bad day.

The history of this storm has shown it to be pretty handicapped from the beginning. Never really getting organized or strong, constantly up and down.....sorta jinxed.

Hopefully you will get lucky up there as My 95 YOA mother is in an assisted living home near Wilminton....those people are scared to move like they did the last couple of years due to the virus situation.

Im watching what you guys are doing in FL and wondering how bad it will be in NC

Media portrays it as a coming disaster (per usual), but windy says hardly no wind, minor gusts.
I know there will be rain. But I dont yet see a need to do major prep on my boat as of near 8am sunday morn.

But Im keeping my websites open and looking

Tim

If, based on where you have your boat docked you feel comfortable with sustained gale force southeast then transitioning to southwest winds in the 35-40ish range tomorrow after midnight and into Tuesday, well then fine. It will certainly make for a rocky time ar the Grand, for one.

Where we are, just a bit down river from River Bend, on the south side of the Trent, we are quite protected. All I will do is fold up the bimini into its boot on the 13' Whaler we have docked in the creek back of our house. It's equipped with mooring whips anyway but is really tucked in down there.

Our decision is whether to go up to a friends' at Lake Gaston where we have stayed for other storms, because this house doesn't have a back up generator (yeah yeah, I know...). thing is, it is supposed to get quite windy up there, and they may lose power too; we have a bunch of nice stuff in the freezers. It is an extremely nice joint to be an evacuee at though...

8am Sunday, off shore, Lat of whatever Boynton Beach..... A storm, not a hurricane.
Back down where I am, a bit south of Hollywood, FL, no excessive rain nor wind or I slept through it again.
I am at 25 58N. 80 07W.

Last edited:
The track will determine wind directions at your location ......and that far away I wouldn't bet on the track yet. One should also take into account localized funneling of winds.

So far.... last weeks thunderstorms around here were worse for both wind and rain...our peak in FT Pierce should be over the next few hours..

Last edited:
Our boat is in Stuart, but well inland, at the dead end of a narrow canal, which is way up the Lost River, which is way up the South Fork, not quite half way to Indiantown. So really protected.

For big storms in the past I have spider webbed it in the center of the canal, stripped all the canvas etc. For this one I just doubled up my springs and put out the big fender balls. We crossed back from the Bahamas on Thursday, a day earlier than planned. It was a good call to come home.

Our boat is in Stuart, but well inland, at the dead end of a narrow canal, which is way up the Lost River, which is way up the South Fork, not quite half way to Indiantown. So really protected.

For big storms in the past I have spider webbed it in the center of the canal, stripped all the canvas etc. For this one I just doubled up my springs and put out the big fender balls. We crossed back from the Bahamas on Thursday, a day earlier than planned. It was a good call to come home.

How was the Bahamas? What area did you go to? I thought it was still locked down.

It looks like for the most part we've all dodged a hurricane and some are going to get the tropical storm on up the coast, weakening even more by the time it reaches SC and NC. Boats should be ok if properly secured. Some surge, but nothing that should cause issues more than storms we regularly get. The lowlands of SC and NC likely will have to deal with some flooding.

It just seems that Andros knocked the strength of the storm out of it and protected the rest of us. From what little I can gather it seems the Bahamas have come through well. They had a controlled power shut down and then had to restore power one area at a time. Food stores open today.

That’s what I thought, and why I was wondering how Dougcole’s recent trip went.

It was/is a non-event in JAX. Winds right now are 15-20 which is the worst it will get.

It was/is a non-event in JAX. Winds right now are 15-20 which is the worst it will get.

Excellent. Thanks for the report. We are so far up the river I guess we didn’t even get that much wind.

i was wondering do live aboards stay on their boats when hurricane hits

That depends on the individual's personality and risk assessment. Some do and it works out. Some do and it doesn't work out. Some button her up and evacuate. The boat sometimes survives and sometimes doesn't.

We are staying aboard. We are up the Mystic River cross-tied in a slip to fixed docks. The Dockmaster assumes the dock will be submerged by a few feet at the height of the storm. I’ll disconnect the shore power when the storm comes and go on generator power for the duration. We are hoping for the best while planning for the worst! At least I’ll get to use all those extra lines I’ve been carrying around “just in case”.

i was wondering do live aboards stay on their boats when hurricane hits

We have done both, depending on risk evaluation as Frosty says. Have stayed at B&B's, hotels, and/or relatives when leaving.

How was the Bahamas? What area did you go to? I thought it was still locked down.

Crossed to the Abacos on the 6th, came home on the 30th.

It was a good trip, a little weird with Covid and the post Dorian issues, but still good. We intentionally stayed low key, didn't go south of Green Turtle.

GTC is making headway, Black Sound is a mess, New Plymouth is about 50% rebuilt. White Sound area is perhaps 60% rebuilt. Bluff House docks are about half done, Leeward is a total wreck and for sale. Other Shore Club is going to be rebuilt. Black Sound Marina is a total loss.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom