Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-08-2017, 06:18 PM   #301
Guru
 
High Wire's Avatar
 
City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,026
Anyone in the Port Charlotte, Placida, Englewood area send me a PM. We went from miss to bullseye in 24 hours.
__________________
Archie
Irish Lady
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:21 PM   #302
Senior Member
 
rclarke246's Avatar
 
City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: 2012 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 441
Looks like Marco Island, south of Naples, FL may be ground zero! Lady Di is spider-web-tied in her floating slip at Esplanade Marina, Smokehouse Bay, Marco. Every cleat, line & fender is deployed. Windows and doors Gorilla Taped.

My biggest concerns: 1) storm surge overwhelms the floating piers. I estimate about 9' will do it. 2) another boat breaks loose and sinks her.

We're up north, thank God!

I'll let you know...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0818.jpg  
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:34 PM   #303
Guru
 
HopCar's Avatar
 
City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeman View Post
As to cell phones- good luck with that after a hurricane. Gotta keep the land line.

leeman
The land line will go out when the poles come down or a tree falls across the wire. I'm betting the cell towers get put back sooner than the land lines. They have portable towers that can be brought in and erected pretty quickly after a storm. They call them COWS, cell on wheels.

I took my satellite dish down today so no tv. I bought one of those indoor digital antennas but I can't make it work.

I bet I lose my bee hives. I've got two in my backyard. I put a bucket filled with concrete on top of each. We'll see what happens.

My battery powered tools have been a tremendous help. I've drilled concrete and wood today. I've cut steel angle iron. I driven a bunch of screws both into wood and concrete. I've removed nuts and I've driven nails all with Ryobi battery tools.

Sorry I'm rambling, I'm exhausted.

Oh ya, the boat. It's tied along side the dock behind my old store on the Miami river. Doubled the lines, removed all canvass and cushions. Have two working 12v bilge pumps. Batteries fully charged with the charger on as long as there is power. Also have a 110v bilge pump. Vacuumed the bilge.

There is a tree that will might fall on poor old Possum but it is the best I could do. It will probably kill my insurance agent to write that check.

I also tried something a little different. My cockpit hatches leak and are a pretty loose fit in the hole. I tried caulking them with some 1/8" nylon braid driven into the gap between hatch frame and hatch lid. It might not be water tight but it will slow down the water.
__________________
Parks Masterson
HopCar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:35 PM   #304
Guru
 
Seevee's Avatar
 
City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post
I'm a GA and commercial pilot. That is absolutely unreal that they closed the airport like that. I get shutting the tower down, but closing the airport and holding all of those planes is unreal. I'd be calling your local FSBO immidiatly. Obviously there's nothing unsafe at the moment, so maybe there's a way they can legally open the airport long enough to let you guys get out of there.
Steve91T,

I called the Governor, and the commissioners. No one answered and they really don't give a shit... just a bunch of BS. I heard governor Scott giving a speech IN St. Pete today and gave out an emergency number. I called it several times and went unanswered.

If the forecast continues, I'll be ok. It Irma swings out over the gulf and comes back in, I'll take my bolt cutters and cut thru the fence to get my plane out.

Yes, it's totally stupid and rules made by idiots that just don't know anything about airports. Allegient cancelled many flights that folks could have used to get out of town. And many GA guys were totally pissed at the airport this morning.
Weather is perfect VFR and will be flyable easily until Sun morn.

Yes, there will be some action after this is over.
__________________
Seevee
Seevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:39 PM   #305
Guru
 
Alemao's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers - FL
Vessel Name: ORIGINAL
Vessel Model: Hi Star 55
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101TUG View Post
Irma turning cat 3, well organized and coming on Caribbean.
I plan sunday to going South, Hope Irma making more North and not going to hit us.
Any other people from Trawler Forum in Caribbean and what are you doing?

Hugues


My boat is in St Maarten, in Bobbys Megayard and I don't have any news until now
Alemao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:58 PM   #306
Guru
 
HopCar's Avatar
 
City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Steve91T,

I called the Governor, and the commissioners. No one answered and they really don't give a shit... just a bunch of BS. I heard governor Scott giving a speech IN St. Pete today and gave out an emergency number. I called it several times and went unanswered.

If the forecast continues, I'll be ok. It Irma swings out over the gulf and comes back in, I'll take my bolt cutters and cut thru the fence to get my plane out.

Yes, it's totally stupid and rules made by idiots that just don't know anything about airports. Allegient cancelled many flights that folks could have used to get out of town. And many GA guys were totally pissed at the airport this morning.
Weather is perfect VFR and will be flyable easily until Sun morn.

Yes, there will be some action after this is over.
I agree, that's stupid. It was perfect flying weather today and will probably be fine tomorrow. A lot of planes could be flown out in two days. The AOPA and EAA should get all over them for this.
__________________
Parks Masterson
HopCar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:09 PM   #307
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Steve91T,



I called the Governor, and the commissioners. No one answered and they really don't give a shit... just a bunch of BS. I heard governor Scott giving a speech IN St. Pete today and gave out an emergency number. I called it several times and went unanswered.



If the forecast continues, I'll be ok. It Irma swings out over the gulf and comes back in, I'll take my bolt cutters and cut thru the fence to get my plane out.



Yes, it's totally stupid and rules made by idiots that just don't know anything about airports. Allegient cancelled many flights that folks could have used to get out of town. And many GA guys were totally pissed at the airport this morning.

Weather is perfect VFR and will be flyable easily until Sun morn.



Yes, there will be some action after this is over.

Dude. That really sucks. Get on their ass.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:11 PM   #308
Guru
 
healhustler's Avatar
 
City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,064
A surprise for us too. Looked real good for us 36 hours before the noon today mandatory evacuation order.
__________________
Larry

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:40 PM   #309
Guru
 
Steve91T's Avatar
 
City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47’ Sundeck
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Steve91T,

I called the Governor, and the commissioners. No one answered and they really don't give a shit... just a bunch of BS. I heard governor Scott giving a speech IN St. Pete today and gave out an emergency number. I called it several times and went unanswered.

If the forecast continues, I'll be ok. It Irma swings out over the gulf and comes back in, I'll take my bolt cutters and cut thru the fence to get my plane out.

Yes, it's totally stupid and rules made by idiots that just don't know anything about airports. Allegient cancelled many flights that folks could have used to get out of town. And many GA guys were totally pissed at the airport this morning.
Weather is perfect VFR and will be flyable easily until Sun morn.

Yes, there will be some action after this is over.
Try the FAA.
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:46 PM   #310
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,756
A reporter made a big deal out of a beach side pizza parlor and a liquor store being open. Didn't seem to grasp that they could still make it home, five miles away, before tomorrow.

Here's the current wind forecast where we are:
Accuweather and Weather.com

Saturday
0600 16NE 25NE (all mph)
1000 25NE 38NE
1400 44NE 42ENE
1700 58NE 44ENE
1900 53NE 48ENE
2300 50NE 71ENE

Sunday
0000 67NE 70ENE
0200 63NE 88ENE
0300 56NE 95E
0400 56W 108E
0600 62SSW127E
0700 66SSW102ESE
0900 71S 91ESE
1000 77SSE 93ESE
1100 64SE 102ESE
1200 77SE 102ESE
1400 98SSE 100SE
1500 77SSE 104SE
1600 89S 106SE
1800 84S 91SSE
1900 79SSW76S
2200 67SW

Monday
0100 47SW
0200 60SW
0400 48SW
0700 41SSW
0800 23SSW
1000 9SW

What I found interesting is 41 hours above 40 mph, strengthening and weakening as it turns, and per Accuweather it peaks at 98 mph while per Weather.com it peaks at 127 mph. National Weather Service peaks at 80 mph. Strong winds nearly two days more because we're on the west side of the storm than if we were in it's line.

For us it starts in less than 19 hours.

Just shows how much different in forecasts this close to the storm and it's the same for all area. So we plan for 127 mph and hope it doesn't top 80.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:06 PM   #311
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,756
And now surge map shows we get none. Models still moving.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:37 PM   #312
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasalt007 View Post
Question:

About how long will 8 new AGM 6 volt batteries on a Magnum Inverter keep a Norcold double door refrigerator/freezer going if it is the only 110v load?

Would it be better to run the refer off 12 volts instead?

We are in Riviera Dunes Marina in Palmetto...south of Tampa Bay...and just found out that they cutting power at noon tomorrow. Not being kicked out per se. Can run the genny and stay if we wish.
Better to turn off the inverter portion (leave on the battery charger ) and run the norcold on 12 volts. You will draw less out of the batteries. Might last 3 to 4 days that way.

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:46 PM   #313
Senior Member
 
City: Houston
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 333
I gotta tell ya, judgmental opinions about other people's lack of storm preparation or their general intelligence, coming from someone 3500 miles away, don't impress me...at least not in a positive way. It does indicate a lack of empathy and a narcissistic attitude. I'm
So just to defend a few million "stupid" people down here in Texas - your brilliant buddy on the hill notwithstanding - please know that 80% of the flooded homes didn't have - were not REQUIRED to have - flood insurance BECAUSE THEY WERE NOT IN THE FLOOD PLAIN. Otherwise their mortgage companies would have required it. Several well-regarded scientists around the country are calling our part of Harvey's destruction a 10-20,000 year rain event.
I am in the 500 year flood zone like almost everyone else in the middle areas of Houston. I do have flood insurance. My house is 63 years old and has never come close to being flooded. But my mortgage company requires it. In fact my elevation is actually higher than what the County has on the books. I got a discount on my premium for that. And I had 18" of water in my living room two weeks ago.

By the way, do you hear me whining about this flood? Do you hear anybody else around here whining?

Perhaps I am stupid for living in a home that is near my work and has nearly doubled in value since 2010. Perhaps I should have built a 6' berm around my urban home last January, instead of playing golf. Perhaps the Allen brothers shouldn't have started a town here in the 1800's. Perhaps the many low-income families who flooded for the first time ever should have gotten a college education, made more money, stockpiled Evian water and solar cell phone chargers last March and moved to a planned community. Although those flooded too. Fact is, the low and middle income folks were a little busy working seven days a week stocking plywood for the rest of us idiots at Home Depot. I don't know why...we weren't buying it anyway. Morons. Why didn't they plan better during their spare time?

Look, it rained 50". Fifty. No storm surge. I'm 49 ft above sea level and 35 miles from the nearest salt water. I'm not sure if, with 3 days notice, the 100,000 now flooded home owners and their families could have been "expected" to prepare for that. After all, it's never happened. Ever.
Certainly the 1000's of affected small businesses didn't plan on it. Their fault I suppose. The Home Depot in my area has Aggreko providing temp power and trying to dry their 125,000 s.f. store out - losing millions in revenue over the past 2 weeks. HD's Development people just didn't think ahead I guess. Should have set up shop elsewhere. Same for the people of St Martin, right? Or Barbuda.

I could - if I were a political person - say something about how the highly intelligent people of Alaska once elected a now-former governor who's about as sharp as a bowling ball. But I'm not. So I won't. And I'm not going to sit on my yacht and judge people's life decisions from 3500 miles away. Especially if I didn't know what I was talking about.

Maybe your buddy on his hill should get off his *ss and offer help to all the idiots instead of being a smug SOB. Otherwise, I'd invite him to shut the **** up.
CDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:56 PM   #314
Guru
 
Steve91T's Avatar
 
City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47’ Sundeck
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDreamer View Post
I gotta tell ya, judgmental opinions about other people's lack of storm preparation or their general intelligence, coming from someone 3500 miles away, don't impress me...at least not in a positive way. It does indicate a lack of empathy and a narcissistic attitude. I'm
So just to defend a few million "stupid" people down here in Texas - your brilliant buddy on the hill notwithstanding - please know that 80% of the flooded homes didn't have - were not REQUIRED to have - flood insurance BECAUSE THEY WERE NOT IN THE FLOOD PLAIN. Otherwise their mortgage companies would have required it. Several well-regarded scientists around the country are calling our part of Harvey's destruction a 10-20,000 year rain event.
I am in the 500 year flood zone like almost everyone else in the middle areas of Houston. I do have flood insurance. My house is 63 years old and has never come close to being flooded. But my mortgage company requires it. In fact my elevation is actually higher than what the County has on the books. I got a discount on my premium for that. And I had 18" of water in my living room two weeks ago.

By the way, do you hear me whining about this flood? Do you hear anybody else around here whining?

Perhaps I am stupid for living in a home that is near my work and has nearly doubled in value since 2010. Perhaps I should have built a 6' berm around my urban home last January, instead of playing golf. Perhaps the Allen brothers shouldn't have started a town here in the 1800's. Perhaps the many low-income families who flooded for the first time ever should have gotten a college education, made more money, stockpiled Evian water and solar cell phone chargers last March and moved to a planned community. Although those flooded too. Fact is, the low and middle income folks were a little busy working seven days a week stocking plywood for the rest of us idiots at Home Depot. I don't know why...we weren't buying it anyway. Morons. Why didn't they plan better during their spare time?

Look, it rained 50". Fifty. No storm surge. I'm 49 ft above sea level and 35 miles from the nearest salt water. I'm not sure if, with 3 days notice, the 100,000 now flooded home owners and their families could have been "expected" to prepare for that. After all, it's never happened. Ever.
Certainly the 1000's of affected small businesses didn't plan on it. Their fault I suppose. The Home Depot in my area has Aggreko providing temp power and trying to dry their 125,000 s.f. store out - losing millions in revenue over the past 2 weeks. HD's Development people just didn't think ahead I guess. Should have set up shop elsewhere. Same for the people of St Martin, right? Or Barbuda.

I could - if I were a political person - say something about how the highly intelligent people of Alaska once elected a now-former governor who's about as sharp as a bowling ball. But I'm not. So I won't. And I'm not going to sit on my yacht and judge people's life decisions from 3500 miles away. Especially if I didn't know what I was talking about.

Maybe your buddy on his hill should get off his *ss and offer help to all the idiots instead of being a smug SOB. Otherwise, I'd invite him to shut the **** up.
Well said
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:20 PM   #315
Senior Member
 
David Hughes's Avatar
 
City: Marietta
Vessel Model: Cobalt 246
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 165
Hurricane Irma

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclarke246 View Post
Looks like Marco Island, south of Naples, FL may be ground zero! Lady Di is spider-web-tied in her floating slip at Esplanade Marina, Smokehouse Bay, Marco. Every cleat, line & fender is deployed. Windows and doors Gorilla Taped.



My biggest concerns: 1) storm surge overwhelms the floating piers. I estimate about 9' will do it. 2) another boat breaks loose and sinks her.



We're up north, thank God!



I'll let you know...


I'm no expert but all I've seen says to avoid cleats on docks as they are the first to go. They say tie directly to the pilings. The pilings won't go anywhere. But that's a great marina, with good protection. Good luck. My boat is at Tarpon Point Marina in Cape Coral. We shall all know by Monday, huh?
__________________
David Hughes
David Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:35 PM   #316
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
I'm no expert but all I've seen says to avoid cleats on docks as they are the first to go. They say tie directly to the pilings. The likings won't go anywhere. But that's a great marina, with good protection. Good luck. My boat is at Tarpon Point Marina in Cape Coral. We shall all know by Monday, huh?
Depends on the cleats but redundancy is good. Some cleats, especially on older wooden docks, are simply bolted through the board and quick to come loose. Others, often seen on newer concrete docks are deeply affixed.

Also depends on the pilings. How deep are they and what kind of force can they handle?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:13 PM   #317
Moderator Emeritus
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeman View Post
I am 100% with you on this. I'm prepared for any likely event here. Right now it's fire. Preparations started years ago. Some people don't get it, but it just doesn't occur to them. But the standing joke with our friends is if the spam hits the fan,
they're coming here.
As to cell phones- good luck with that after a hurricane. Gotta keep the land line.

leeman
Defendable space. Learned about that when a forest fire burned my entire neighborhood to the ground a couple decades ago

The only homes left on my side of the lake are the ones My family and I were able to save.

We prepared. When the fire started, days before it hit our neighborhood we cleared all the trees. We brought in a fire pump, we fought and we persevered.

Thanks for the comment...
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:03 PM   #318
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8,819
Hurricane Irma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
They will be the Zombies



I was just looking...Fema has some really good guides and recomendations for preparing your home to survive a hurricane. Common sense stuff.



I tell people that two weeks without food and water and they will be barbecuing each other.


I assume that you have a month supply of food, water, and fuel for your generator in prep for the earthquake that is bound to hit your area. Of course.... why are you living in an area we know will get hit with a massive earthquake?

Edit: I read later that is exactly what you did.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:21 AM   #319
Senior Member
 
101TUG's Avatar
 
City: Gustavia
Vessel Name: Super MAN
Vessel Model: Terranova Explorer
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alemao View Post
My boat is in St Maarten, in Bobbys Megayard and I don't have any news until now
I have new, no more boat in Megayard, I send one captain to look this is totally mess

I'm sorry about this terrible new.

Hugues
101TUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:25 AM   #320
Senior Member
 
101TUG's Avatar
 
City: Gustavia
Vessel Name: Super MAN
Vessel Model: Terranova Explorer
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 324
the texte message from the captain of 80' who look for us say exactly

"all of bobby marina boats are gone" I need to ask him if he spoke about Megayard !

Hugues
101TUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012