Hurricane Irma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just heard from a friend in the Land O Lakes area north of Tampa that the power is already out? That sure seems early.

Just heard from a friend in the Land O Lakes area north of Tampa that the power is already out? That sure seems early.

There are power outages in Miami and even Fort Lauderdale and a reported but not confirmed small tornado. Now the report looks reasonable as the couple's trees in their yard and fence were down when they returned hom.

Map showing areas with outages. Click on the county for details.

Power Tracker Map

63000 out in Broward County
105000 in Dade
22000 in Palm Beach
Odds and ends elsewhere.

I still have power but lost my landline phone and Internet.

That's not what they're saying. It's still running up the coast. What they're saying, although they worded it poorly, is that after coming up the peninsula, it will continue inland over the Florida panhandle and southwestern Georgia.

From there it actually ends up in Western Tennessee, although obviously not a hurricane at that point and that path very subject to change.

So, no significant change.

Actually I think you read it right. They're saying that's possible too, but not the most likely. May first make landfall in the panhandle.

Levees didn't help New Orleans.......

As one who spent a couple of years in New Orleans after Katrina I'd like to offer a bit of history for you.

Despite the notorious corruption of the local levee boards it was the lack of flood gates on Pontchartrain that caused the problems there. Flood gates that were known to be required in the 70's, proposed by the COE and defeated by the "enviro's" a the time; because "#for the environment" doncha ya know....

So much for that win.....short sighted idiots....

PS - Nagin and securing the pumps was without precedent as well.

I can`t begin to imagine how stressful this is but sniping at each other won`t change the weather.
To everyone affected, may it turn out as well or better than you could hope.

I understand that these are hard to predict - but the next "M" mark is withing hours and yet the track seems to conflict with the narrative.

What the hell gives here? Do they not want to show it going further off shore because that might make people complacent?

In short, yes. But continuity is part of weather forecasting. You can't change the forecast every time the model run changes.
These issues are explained in the forecast discussion.

Well, the eye of this thing is going right over my folks house on Cudjoe Key. Tough old house, but I don't know how tough.

Folks evac'd to Clearwater, might have to move again.

Well Jose seems a bit confused!

Attachments

• Jose.jpg
    Jose.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 99
Looks like Miami might not get to call this a hurricane. Currently medium rain, strong wind gusts, trees breaking some down. I lost my land phone and Internet yesterday . Lost power six this morning. Getting hot in the house without AC. Heavy things falling on my roof. My bee hives are still standing.

Strange thing happened yesterday, all of the iguanas in my yard disappeared. Usually a dozen or more getting in the way.

Well We/ve found pictures of the boat, she's lying on her stbd side. Appears to be minus her hard bimini and solar panels. Hopefully the hull is not to badly damaged . Just punched holes from the stands etc. It still could be weeks before shes upright and can be assessed. There's no power, elec or services on the islands. The inter island ferries are all trashed. Travel is restricted to humanitarian aid etc.
https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-k4smBk/
If anyone is interested in the power of the storm, this is what it did to the BVI's. It will take many years to restore there charter industry.

Attachments

• St C Found.jpg
    St C Found.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 133
  • Boatyard B.jpg
    Boatyard B.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 171
  • Boatyard lateest.jpg
    Boatyard lateest.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 161
Oh man, no words. I'm so sorry.

Sorry to hear.

In your second photo - it looks like the cat at the bottom of the photo was purposely secured that way and looks like it worked!

Just a report not a prediction. Storm has just recently 0900, crossed the keys, my friend in Marathon has had wind and rain perhaps 80 mph. In Miami, on the river, some rain and gusts to perhaps 60 or 70 mph. So far so good, dodged a bullet as the storm goes further west. Those on the west coast of Florida will have it much worse than us. Good luck to all ot them.

Surge lags arrival of the eye. Marathon and Cudjoe and Big pine not out of the woods yet with regards to surge.

Blowing 22 here with gusts to 27. Early days yet, we don't expect the larger winds until this evening. Though the fenders are already working overtime due to the east winds pushing her onto the dock.

Attachments

• IrmaBoat2.jpg
    IrmaBoat2.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 107
  • IrmaBoat1.jpg
    IrmaBoat1.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 105
Someone on Facebook has posted this photo and stating that it is tied off to channel markers in Tarpon Springs. IMG_1357.JPG

Any confirmation?

Yikes. I worry about my fenders. I made some fender boards and now I worry about them grinding into the hull if they get sideways or if a fender fails when the wind blows her towards the dock.

Looks like we could have 90-100mph gusts and 45mph steady wind near LaBelle, which is only about 40 miles from Fort Meyers.

Menzies you need more fenders brother!

I'm going to do one more check on my boat this afternoon and then I have my regularly scheduled 7am work flight tomorrow and will hope for the best. Savannah down to forecast of ~50MPH winds.. feeling fortunate and hoping the best for florida.

I know north some going to be hit by Irma south we organizing first aid

150505297453628.jpg

150505307364581.jpg

15050531702725.jpg

150505327891281.jpg

1505053306390.jpg

150505336236450.jpg

15050533774290.jpg

150505339037686.jpg

150505343019119.jpg

150505347582513.jpg

Well, the eye of this thing is going right over my folks house on Cudjoe Key. Tough old house, but I don't know how tough.

Folks evac'd to Clearwater, might have to move again.

Hope the house does ok. On stilts? We stay at venture out every August, and I have zero expectation those water front trailers will be little more than lobster habitats now.

forgot we take the sea this afternoon to plan to arrive tomorrow afternoon

good news yesterday Jose pass neat St Barth but no strong wind

Good for you 101tug. That's so cool you are in a position with a great boat to help others who really need it.

Menzies you need more fenders brother!

Dang, I have five big un's and a big ball fender down attached to the boat, plus six little fenders from my last boat that are tied to the dock.

Probably enough for now - but may need replaced afterwards!

Menzies

I have fender and balls set but the rub rail should also help if anything fails.

Good luck to you, nice boat. We ate Looking at a GB 53 Aleutian presently.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom