Old 09-02-2021, 06:47 AM   #61
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Chris, I read about that. I do hope everyone is fine.

Haven't heard about any injuries, so far... although one of our favorite restaurants (Greek, in this case) up in Annapolis sustained some serious damage.

Near as I can tell, some of this would have passed almost right over our house as an EF-1... but we couldn't actually see any rotational winds and only lost power once for a few seconds... so this time we had no repeat of our "tree on house" episodes from August 2020.

-Chris
Old 09-02-2021, 07:01 AM   #62
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Chris, one of the many nice things about living on a boat. If shore power goes out, start the generator. SMILE
Old 09-02-2021, 04:53 PM   #63
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
I keep a storage locker at a public storage place, it was just down the block from where the tornado tore through Annapolis. No access to the facility as there's lines down everywhere. But the place and the staff are fine, thankfully.
Old 09-02-2021, 10:49 PM   #64
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Drove to Nola today. Lots of damage around the Houma exit on I-10, but not much damage in the Quarter or Bywater from what I can see.

Talking to locals, the fact that the levies held and no significant flooding in the 9th ward, Mid City and Lakeview is a big win. They say this is so much better than Katrina. And the power is coming back on already.

Not to discount the terrible flooding in LaPlace, Grand Isle and Houma. It’s obviously very bad there.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:29 PM   #65
Veteran Member

City: Houma, LA
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Jefferson Marquessa 60'
Houma/Terrebonne Parish was hit hard. Lots of property damage. Our two major hospitals sustained major damage and are closed. Lafourche Parish was also hit hard. Thibodaux’s hospital is damaged but open but at capacity running on generators. Grand Isle was decimated. Terrebonne (110,000 population) is completely without power and we just got water back. Cell is spotty. New Orleans was completely without power but is slowly coming back on. It did not suffer severe damage as Ida tracked west of it. My boat was also on the hard at Seabrook in NOLA and had no damage. My house in Houma sustained minimal damage (lucky) and we are on generator power. No estimates yet as to when power will be restored in Terrebonne. Officials are allowing residents to return with the warning that there are no supplies or services and no trauma centers available. I stayed during the storm with my daughter in law who is a first responder and it was a long day. We were on the”dry” side of the eye so no storm surge but the wind was god awful for 3-4 hours in the eyewall. For those of us old enough to remember here, it was worse than Betsy.

For a local non profit, please consider the Bayou Community Foundation www.bayoucf.org
Berwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 06:25 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Local story of tug caught in Ida:

https://www.houmatoday.com/story/new...on/5650761001/
Old 09-03-2021, 06:31 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Drill ship caught in Ida. Crew evacuated by USCG

https://www.klfy.com/louisiana/coast...anded-in-gulf/
Old 09-03-2021, 08:21 AM   #68
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Drove to Nola today. Lots of damage around the Houma exit on I-10, but not much damage in the Quarter or Bywater from what I can see.

Talking to locals, the fact that the levies held and no significant flooding in the 9th ward, Mid City and Lakeview is a big win. They say this is so much better than Katrina. And the power is coming back on already.

Not to discount the terrible flooding in LaPlace, Grand Isle and Houma. It’s obviously very bad there.
I would not be overly sanguine about the wonderful levy system in New Orleans.

Here's the issue with the new pumping and levy system we spend so many millions and billions on:

The levies were not built up to the Katrina standard of flooding.
Ida's challenge to the levies was WELL below that of Katrina; so we do not know what Katrina would have done to the system.
The DRAIN system in New Orleans is capable of handling only 1/2-inch to one inch of RAIN per hour. Any topping of or failure of a levy will overwhelm it in a trice. Imagine the work required to rip up and double the size of the drainage piping.

I would not be buying real estate for long term holding because New Orleans is a disaster waiting to happen - again.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 10:16 AM   #69
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
I would not be overly sanguine about the wonderful levy system in New Orleans.

Here's the issue with the new pumping and levy system we spend so many millions and billions on:

The levies were not built up to the Katrina standard of flooding.

Ida's challenge to the levies was WELL below that of Katrina; so we do not know what Katrina would have done to the system.

The DRAIN system in New Orleans is capable of handling only 1/2-inch to one inch of RAIN per hour. Any topping of or failure of a levy will overwhelm it in a trice. Imagine the work required to rip up and double the size of the drainage piping.

I would not be buying real estate for long term holding because New Orleans is a disaster waiting to happen - again.

Agree on the LT deteriorating situation and real estate. Wife and I had been looking at buying something in Nola, but everything we looked at was crazy expensive and now the hurricane has brought me back to reality.
Old 09-03-2021, 01:25 PM   #70

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Traiteur
Vessel Model: 2000 Grand Banks 46 Classic
Cardude, Did u make it back to Bywater to check on things? If not happy to do a drive by. My wife and I live in the ‘hood also. Let me know happy to do so. Latest report from Entergy, as of today, Bywater will have electricity back on Sept 6th. - and the entire city by September 8. Hope it’s true. Much suffering here. We have a full home generator that’s been running since Saturday. Don’t want to abuse it unnecessarily. All things considered, we’ve decided to head to our boat currently in JAX. Hope ur place is old.
Mayday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 09:39 AM   #71
Guru

Hurricane Ida

Hey! Nice to meet ya!

This is our first year rent an apartment in the Rice Mill Lofts. We had an apartment in the Quarter for a couple years earlier, but I like the Bywater much better.

We made it to the apartment Thursday and are back home now. The unit got water in it but not too bad. ServPro is there drying things out, but one of the bedrooms has wet carpet so that has to be pulled out to replace the pad and really dry the carpet. We did a little cleaning then left the next day. It was really loud in the apartment with all the ServPro fans and dehumidifiers running.

The management brought in two huge 500kw diesel generators to run the the entire complex, so we had AC, hot water, etc. Felt bad for the rest of the Bywater still roasting with no power. We brought in lots bags of ice in coolers and passed that out to folks as we saw them as we were riding around the neighborhood.

Our boat is also in Jacksonville at the Marina at Ortega Landing. Need to go work on it!

We were just thinking about moving the boat from Jacksonville to Pensacola after hurricane season. That would be much closer to Nola obviously and easy to go enjoy the boat from the apartment, like 3 hours away. I would not leave the boat there during hurricane season and would move it back to JAX before the season starts again. What do you think about that plan? Any good marinas you know of in Pensacola? My wife really likes the beaches in that area.
Old 09-06-2021, 05:56 PM   #72
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
We survived fine, but I was surprised to see three boats washed up on the shore that were anchored near where we tie off for hurricanes.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote