Old 08-31-2021, 03:59 PM   #41

City: louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdoc View Post
Yes, we have many friends in Jesuit Bend and I was worried for that area because of substandard levees. Luckily this storm had a lot less surge than Katrina (15 vs 26 ft). Unfortunately for us, With the only highway flooded below Alliance, repair crews, suppliers and the like cannot get down the road. Kevin and Greta are good friends. Kevin grew up down the road from me — He’s a master on any fishing boat!
I met Kevin through Demi Cossich. He and I were classmates while I was in New Orleans and were beating up on the reds and specks every chance we had to sneak down the road. Hopefully the marsh has not been beaten up too bad (what is left of it after Katrina anyway).
rardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 04:06 PM   #42
Veteran Member

City: Empire, LA
Vessel Name: Andante Mar
Vessel Model: Neptunus Yachts 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by rardoin View Post
I met Kevin through Demi Cossich. He and I were classmates while I was in New Orleans and were beating up on the reds and specks every chance we had to sneak down the road. Hopefully the marsh has not been beaten up too bad (what is left of it after Katrina anyway).

Demi is our homeboy too, and BTW my dentist until he moved away. He has always been reds and specks worst nightmare.
Jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 04:37 PM   #43
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdoc View Post
My brother made it back to Gretna yesterday, from Mississippi, and two of my kids made it back to Belle Chasse today from Alabama. So from the east roads are open. They told me I10 is full both ways —people coming back and people leaving.

Thanks for that update. Hopefully by Thursday I’ll be able to make it without much trouble.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:07 AM   #44
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Always rely on your employer to do the right thing. Yea right.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/crew-dril...-gulf-stranded
Old 09-01-2021, 08:43 AM   #45

Here is a website that shows satelite photos of areas that were hardest hit and taken after Ida. It might help people to see how much damage their houses have.
https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/i...9668/-90.72577
folivier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:18 AM   #46
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Undoubtedly things are worse for you southerners and you have my sympathy. But folks haven’t focused the impact of the rain as it moves north to the degree I would expect.
Think for our area (the northeast) there will be a risk of significant flash flooding tomorrow. The start of our summer was quite dry but we’ve made up for that in recent weeks. If we get the rain dump some predict the run off will be troublesome.
Hippocampus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:32 AM   #47
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocampus View Post
Undoubtedly things are worse for you southerners and you have my sympathy. But folks haven’t focused the impact of the rain as it moves north to the degree I would expect.
Think for our area (the northeast) there will be a risk of significant flash flooding tomorrow. The start of our summer was quite dry but we’ve made up for that in recent weeks. If we get the rain dump some predict the run off will be troublesome.
SMIRK, that is the advantage of living on the boat. Just loosen the dock lines and the boat will ride higher.

Per your situation, be careful, please remain safe.
Keep us informed of the flooding.
Old 09-01-2021, 11:37 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Here is a website that shows satelite photos of areas that were hardest hit and taken after Ida. It might help people to see how much damage their houses have.
https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/i...9668/-90.72577
Thanks for the link.

Looks like Port Fourchon has really been hit hard as expected. The Chouest covered docking facility was heavily damaged with a few ships moored inside. Fortunately my MIL's house and barn south of Belle Chasse faired well. I see quite a few ships that are likely grounded on the river and what appears to be a mostly submerged barge just south of Myrtle Grove that will be a hazard to navigation until cleared.
Old 09-01-2021, 12:35 PM   #49

City: patterson
Vessel Model: CHB 45 Pilot House
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
We had a member, Steve, from Houma, right in the target area, but he hasn't posted since before the pandemic. Does anyone know anything further about him or his status since?

I spoke to Steve yesterday evening, he was at home with no damage but elec. is out so he is on genset power, NATURAL GAS, the only way to go. He is just out of Houma that got hit hard, hospital (big one) had evacuate and the city is without power. Communications are sketchy due to towers down and such.

He was on the outer edge of the storm, Patterson is further west so we got only showers and a bit of wind.

Gas stations here are overloaded lines of 50-100 cars.
The really bad thing is when someone shows up in a truck with 20-30 gas cans, can you say , "tempers flare" ?

CCC
charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 12:41 PM   #50
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: One thing we repeatedly see as these storms hit Louisiana and as flooding hits the low country of NC and SC, is as they hit these relatively poor areas, they don't cause the monetary damage they might in Miami or Houston, but they cause damage to those who have the least and can least afford to lose what they have. As they cause flood damage away from the coast, the vast majority of it is uninsured. Fortunately they hit areas of lower population so fewer people impacted, but it's still very devastating for those who are impacted by it. Thoughts with all affected.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:23 PM   #51
Guru

Anybody has insight on good NGOs to help these people out.
Old 09-01-2021, 02:26 PM   #52

City: patterson
Vessel Model: CHB 45 Pilot House
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocampus View Post
Anybody has insight on good NGOs to help these people out.

Seek that name of a church that you like in the area on the net, send donation to it to assist the people affected OR

the CAJUN NAVY https://www.thecajunnavy.org/
This is an entirely VOLUNTEER group, they use their own boats and equipment to help all over the place when storms strike. We donate to it all the time.
CCC
charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 03:21 PM   #53
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles View Post
Seek that name of a church that you like in the area on the net, send donation to it to assist the people affected OR

the CAJUN NAVY https://www.thecajunnavy.org/
This is an entirely VOLUNTEER group, they use their own boats and equipment to help all over the place when storms strike. We donate to it all the time.
CCC
Wifey B: Cajun Navy is great. We first encountered them in person when we arrived in Rockport after Harvey, but mostly we encountered the appreciation of so many for what they'd done. Also, local food banks in any of the towns. Call up a random minister and ask for local organizations.

In addition to cash, Cajun Navy appreciates supplies.
Old 09-01-2021, 03:24 PM   #54
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
The land in South Louisiana has been disappearing at an alarming rate for some years now. The media loves to blame it on climate change, which I'm sure has an affect, but the primary reason is the channelization of the river and the damage done to the marsh by the oil industry. More land south of NO would help a lot with these storms.

It's heartbreaking to see the marsh going away.
Dougcole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 04:13 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
The land in South Louisiana has been disappearing at an alarming rate for some years now. The media loves to blame it on climate change, which I'm sure has an affect, but the primary reason is the channelization of the river and the damage done to the marsh by the oil industry. More land south of NO would help a lot with these storms.

It's heartbreaking to see the marsh going away.

I watched the marshes on the SW side of the Miss River disappear quite rapidly when I fished them hard in the 80's-90's. One year there would be several hundred yards of healthy marsh between small 'bays'/lakes. A few years later it was a hundred yards of salt damaged marsh flooded at most high tides. A few years later...open water and within a couple of more years... crab traps! Going back historically in Google Earth reveals the tremendous losses to Louisiana's coastline. A small bright spot is the rapidly growing delta of the Atchafalaya river and associated Wax Lake outlet.
Old 09-01-2021, 04:14 PM   #56
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Cajun Navy is great. We first encountered them in person when we arrived in Rockport after Harvey, but mostly we encountered the appreciation of so many for what they'd done. Also, local food banks in any of the towns. Call up a random minister and ask for local organizations.

In addition to cash, Cajun Navy appreciates supplies.
BandB, please be real real careful and selective. Any organization you donate to might take an administrative fee from 0 to 95%. I've seen it happen over and over again.
Some time, some people really suck!!
Religious organizations too.

Remember the time the Red Cross did not disperse all the funds sent in for a particular disaster? Their rational was to save some for the next disaster. Chit really hit the fan over that one. That and the Red Cross has a very high administrative fee. Knowing what I do about the Red Cross, I will not donate to it.
I donate bikes to the Salvation Army every Christmas, whatever I can afford and never less 15, in various sizes. Starter bikes primarily.
Back in Atlanta, I donate money designated to help members within the congregation provided, they sign a promissory note to pay it back.
Prior to leaving the pastor's office, the pastor gives a brief sermon on forgiveness and rips up the note. I donate 15-20 hams and turkeys potatoes and rolls (I go buy them) and the rest of the fixins' for holiday meals except veggies. I dont eat veggies so why should they? LOL Okay, I do buy yams and baked beans. I do this for Thanksgiving and Easter.
The money usually goes for rent and sometimes major medical expenses.
The congregation is not rich, I have been told, the congregation is made up of primarily Spanish speaking people.
I never attend their church but the secretary and pastor are always happy to see me. (I wonder why) To those I help, I AM THE MYSTERY DONOR.
I do not want to be recognized as The Mystery Donor. LOL I hide in the shadows. LURK LURK
I never ask for an accounting, the pastor spends it within the congregation as he sees fit.
Last year, I had to remind the pastor (new pastor) about the promissory note and brief sermon. I told him, if he cannot do this, I can find another congregation. I hope he knows, I am not joking. To me, that is the important part.
The secretary always tries to tell me how they have helped people but, I stop her.
My point is, it is better to donate stuff than money. Money can disappear before it reaches those in need.

Shhhh, dont tell anyone, it's a secret.
Signed,
The Mystery Donor.
Old 09-01-2021, 05:25 PM   #57
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
BandB, please be real real careful and selective. Any organization you donate to might take an administrative fee from 0 to 95%. I've seen it happen over and over again.
Some time, some people really suck!!
Religious organizations too.

Remember the time the Red Cross did not disperse all the funds sent in for a particular disaster? Their rational was to save some for the next disaster. Chit really hit the fan over that one. That and the Red Cross has a very high administrative fee. Knowing what I do about the Red Cross, I will not donate to it.
I donate bikes to the Salvation Army every Christmas, whatever I can afford and never less 15, in various sizes. Starter bikes primarily.
Back in Atlanta, I donate money designated to help members within the congregation provided, they sign a promissory note to pay it back.
Prior to leaving the pastor's office, the pastor gives a brief sermon on forgiveness and rips up the note. I donate 15-20 hams and turkeys potatoes and rolls (I go buy them) and the rest of the fixins' for holiday meals except veggies. I dont eat veggies so why should they? LOL Okay, I do buy yams and baked beans. I do this for Thanksgiving and Easter.
The money usually goes for rent and sometimes major medical expenses.
The congregation is not rich, I have been told, the congregation is made up of primarily Spanish speaking people.
I never attend their church but the secretary and pastor are always happy to see me. (I wonder why) To those I help, I AM THE MYSTERY DONOR.
I do not want to be recognized as The Mystery Donor. LOL I hide in the shadows. LURK LURK
I never ask for an accounting, the pastor spends it within the congregation as he sees fit.
Last year, I had to remind the pastor (new pastor) about the promissory note and brief sermon. I told him, if he cannot do this, I can find another congregation. I hope he knows, I am not joking. To me, that is the important part.
The secretary always tries to tell me how they have helped people but, I stop her.
My point is, it is better to donate stuff than money. Money can disappear before it reaches those in need.

Shhhh, dont tell anyone, it's a secret.
Signed,
The Mystery Donor.
Wifey B: I'm super careful or really my hubby taught me to be. On the other hand, some will be wasted, but if one uses that as an excuse, they'll never donate and none will go to use. It's like FEMA. So much I'd like to change, but even with the bad, so many people I can't imagine where they would have been without it. We also follow up.

We don't donate much to large national organizations, but try to target local and specific aid and the work of our own foundation.

Times we've been able to get to areas in person, we've felt so much better about any donations, but that's just not always possible. Right now we're midway between St. Helier and Cascais on the 38 hour run. Hubby and I just got off Helm duty and about to sleep now. We had the 8 pm to midnight shift.

Always good if you can find a local contact you trust, but not donate to him, rather follow his recommendations and see.

I'd add, donating credit and gift cards can work too...especially grocery. We've gotten nice discounts on card purchases from grocers too in volume.

Just don't be so scared, you do nothing.
Old 09-01-2021, 06:01 PM   #58
Guru

In the Caribbean put in sweat equity building things while contributing to the cost of materials. Working directly with the local folks bypassed all administrative expenses. Often became aware of these opportunities via church notices, cruiser nets or word of mouth. Given our skill sets(MD &RN) helped at times as well but needed to avoid practicing medicine per se. Think your being there making a durable change at a personal level is the most rewarding giving. Like the Cajun navy. It appeals to my thinking so that’s what we’ll do.
Old 09-02-2021, 05:27 AM   #59
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
We had significant Ida-related tornado damage here, in and near Annapolis, yesterday. Hmph.

-Chris
Old 09-02-2021, 05:46 AM   #60
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
We had significant Ida-related tornado damage here, in and near Annapolis, yesterday. Hmph.

-Chris
Chris, I read about that. I do hope everyone is fine.