Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2022, 10:21 AM   #41
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
The west coast of Florida is on the “bad” side of this one for wind and storm surge. This will be a throwback to the 2004-2005 seasons.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 10:35 AM   #42

City: Bradenton
Vessel Name: Cabella
Vessel Model: Great Harbour GH47
Looks like I will be doing the same as healhustler, good luck Larry. We may have a little better chance than LBK, being at Twin Dolphin with floating docks.

Bob
TF_BG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 11:51 AM   #43
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Good luck, Bob. I guess I’ll be stocking up on marshmallows again.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 11:56 AM   #44
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Latest tropical tidbits video. There is still a chance it could head more west like the euro model shows here.

https://youtu.be/nDiDdBF696c
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 12:20 PM   #45
Veteran Member

City: bainbridge
Vessel Name: Betty L
Vessel Model: 1973 Gulfstar
I suppose this is a dumb question, but I will just ask it anyway. If I had a boat on the west coast of Florida (which I don't -- this is just theoretical) and I ran it up the Caloosahatchee River at Ft. Myers, beyond the first lock, wouldn't that negate the effect of a storm surge???
Kuncicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 12:26 PM   #46
Guru

City: Corpus Christi
Vessel Model: Willard Vega Horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuncicky View Post
I suppose this is a dumb question, but I will just ask it anyway. If I had a boat on the west coast of Florida (which I don't -- this is just theoretical) and I ran it up the Caloosahatchee River at Ft. Myers, beyond the first lock, wouldn't that negate the effect of a storm surge???

According to a poster on Cruiser Forum:

Currently a steady stream of boat traffic upstream in the Caloosahatchee River.

Upstream= further inland, further from predicted storm path and if past the Franklin lock, likely "storm surge proof".
HTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 12:29 PM   #47
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Being inland of a lock should protect from wind driven surge (unless it's so massive that it over-flows the lock). It won't necessarily protect against flooding if there's sufficiently extreme rain, but it's certainly a much safer place to be.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 12:46 PM   #48
Guru

Hurricane Ian was Tropical Storm Ian was Tropical Depression 09

Quote:

I hid in a little canal neighborhood behind the Ortona Locks (near the River Forest yard) during Irma and it worked out well. Lots of wind but no surge obviously.
Old 09-26-2022, 02:17 PM   #49
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Latest tropical tidbits video. There is still a chance it could head more west like the euro model shows here.

https://youtu.be/nDiDdBF696c
Thanks for posting. The first time I’ve watched his channel. He does a great job at looking at the models and explaining in layman terms.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 04:20 PM   #50
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Sadly, the southern FL TV stations have to change for "You are all going to die" to "You are all going to drown."
Old 09-26-2022, 04:40 PM   #51
Veteran Member

City: bainbridge
Vessel Name: Betty L
Vessel Model: 1973 Gulfstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Thanks for posting. The first time I’ve watched his channel. He does a great job at looking at the models and explaining in layman terms.

It was a great explanation. However, some laymen are obviously a lot better at understanding than other laymen. :-) Lots of the talk was too technical for this old boy to follow. I did gather, though, that it was 50-50 probability of whether it would go to the east or to the west. And that once it had passed over the western tip of Cuba that things would become clearer

Bill
Kuncicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 05:26 PM   #52
Guru

Hurricane Ian was Tropical Storm Ian was Tropical Depression 09

Tropical Tidbits is definitely a good follow. I also follow Mike’s Weather Page. He’s not quite as precise and technical, but his site has tons of good storm info on it.
Old 09-26-2022, 05:43 PM   #53
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
All relative. Being 20 miles to the left of the centerline is a helluva better than being 20 miles to the right. May not make it good, but definitely makes a BIG difference.

Latest NHC projection attached. Remarkably steady forecast.......for now

PeterAttachment 132299
EXACTLY my situation in 2018's Cat 5 Michael. Had it hit 20 miles west of the Mexico Beach landfall, I'd be writing this from a new home.

The forecasters used to say that they wished the centerline of warning cones was never published because these storms have an even chance of landing anywhere within the cone. That said, the cones narrow on the landfall point as the storm closes the coast effectively making the centerline a moot point. While in the cone earlier today and last night, I got gas for the emergency generator and tested it and filled the tanks of the vehicles and confirmed my boat's hurricane hole with the property owner there.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 05:46 PM   #54
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
https://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc-bin/t...=ssmi&PROD=gif

The Navy/TRL is calling the CPA 24 NM from MacDill (Tampa). In my personal experience, they have a good prediction record over this way (New Orleans).
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 06:00 PM   #55
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: SEA WOLF
Vessel Model: 1979 CHB 41 Trawler
Quote:
It was a great explanation. However, some laymen are obviously a lot better at understanding than other laymen. :-) Lots of the talk was too technical for this old boy to follow. I did gather, though, that it was 50-50 probability of whether it would go to the east or to the west. And that once it had passed over the western tip of Cuba that things would become clearer

Bill
Like most things when it comes to my weather comprehension, I find myself nodding and looking serious while listening to Tropical Tidbits, then realizing that I have no idea what he's talking about.

I still enjoy the videos though. Maybe I can hope that a little bit is sinking in each time?
socalrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 06:08 PM   #56
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
All relative. Being 20 miles to the left of the centerline is a helluva better than being 20 miles to the right. May not make it good, but definitely makes a BIG difference.
Agree. My house/boat was about 20 miles from "center" on the dirty side of Ida last year. We got whacked pretty hard at the house. Boat was fine.

However, the degree of increased wind damage between my location and ground zero in that short distance was truly remarkable. Exponentially worse.

Waiting out Ida was, to me, worse than riding it out. As a friend commented: "it's like being stalked by a homicidal turtle." My thoughts, prayers, and good wishes to all in the potential path of this thing.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 06:58 PM   #57
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I just got a message from my neighbor who has a boat sitting right next to mine here in Longboat Key. It looks like we’re both gonna get it bad, but he is 2000 miles away in Nova Scotia where he just got his butt kicked by hurricane Fiona. Poor guy is building a new house there and it knocked the windows out, and now he has to cope with being 2000 miles away from his next to butt kicking.

We got the notice this afternoon that we have to be off this island by 6 PM because water, sewer and electric will be cut off at 8 PM. Like in irma, it will probably be days before we can get back on the island and find out if your boat survived and how much damage there is to your residence.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 07:39 PM   #58
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
While everyone is rightly concerned about Ian, take a moment and see what devastation Fiona has brought to the Canadian Maritimes.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia

I think there are a few TF members in that region.
Thanks RTF. I saw horrifying news film of the Canadian east coast storm but found no mention on TF before your post. Guessing most Canadian TFers are on the west coast, but I feel for PEI we had the pleasure of visiting some years back, as well as other east regions. Best wishes to TF east coast members.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 08:46 PM   #59
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. BK. Thanks for the sentiment. Only one death reported, as far as I'm aware, at the moment. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...nday-1.6595070

We toured Newfoundland last year by car. Affectionately known as "The Rock" by locals it is probably one of the most magnificent places I've ever visited. Truly mind boggling IMHO.

Not hard to imagine the scope of the destruction as small villages and hamlets might be clustered in a small cove VERY close to the sea, not much above sea level and with storm surges estimated to be upwards of 34'...devastation.

If interested, it was less than 50 years ago that the last of the "outports" were abandoned.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...ement-villages
Old 09-27-2022, 06:22 AM   #60
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbu22 View Post
As a friend commented: "it's like being stalked by a homicidal turtle."

Heh... good one! Apt.

-Chris