Hurricane Florence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BandB

Guru
Wifey B: Well, here we are in MD and NC was ahead and Bermuda. But....:nonono: :eek:

Florence is a ...... well, I'll behave and no name calling here. Hope those of you in NC, SC and VA are starting to follow Florence.

For our part, we're headed south. Plan is to get back to hurricane safe Florida, well at least Florence safe, by Saturday. We'll decide how far and how long as things develop. After Florence passes, we'll decide whether to turn around and head back up and to Bermuda.

Florence might just take a path out to sea or might run parallel to the coast or maybe direct. Who knows. Still about 6 days away. :mad:

Geez, you were in MD and didn't stop by?

:)

Actually we're in Cape May just now, heading to Lewes tomorrow...

-Chris

Don't know if you're in the Chesapeake or Ocean City, but it's been just plain hot and humid here the last week or so. Feels like SW FL with afternoon thunderstorms most days. When you go, take this heat South with you.

Ted

Yes, all east coasters better follow this one. Even up to NJ/NYC.

Most models showing it going offshore but it’s early yet IMG_0438.jpg

Watching this one close.

Grrrr.

Go away Florence, just go away.

Wifey B: Current forecast has it just south of Bermuda on Tuesday as a CAT 3, but then it either comes west with a direct hit or turns north with indirect up the coast. We'll probably ride it out in Northern Florida and then re-plan the rest of our trip from there. :confused::confused:

Then there is Invest 92 L that RTF pointed out. :eek:

My reading early this AM...NHS had no clue what it will do past 5 days according to the ensemble models.

My reading early this AM...NHS had no clue what it will do past 5 days according to the ensemble models.

Wifey B: Pretty much. The feel fairly strong on five days and after that they don't know direction or strength. :)

For those on the East Coast, it's just one to keep your eyes on. For Bermuda, the threat is more likely, but that's still five days out.

Chris Parker this morning increased his probability of this reaching the East Coast from 20% to 40%...definitely in the “keep your eyes on” catagory

Yeah, not feeling all that confident just now...

I have a hurricane plan for when we're home, but just now we're too far away to make it work. Devising Plan B (C, D, E, etc.) as we speak.

Hope is not a plan.

-Chris

Wifey B: Sure hope those of you on the NC and SC coasts are paying attention. Looks like by the Thursday and Friday time frame you could have a major hit. Although it's only a storm today, forecasts are for a CAT 4. Most of the forecasts are coming more in agreement. By tomorrow I'd expect the coast to be within the five day forecast. :eek::eek::eek:

We have finally made it to the Chesapeake after 3 Hurricane free years, and this is my welcome committee. jeesshh

In Onancock, planned to head to Olverson’s on lodge creek off Potomac on Tuesday.....

We have finally made it to the Chesapeake after 3 Hurricane free years, and this is my welcome committee. jeesshh

In Onancock, planned to head to Olverson’s on lodge creek off Potomac on Tuesday.....

Wifey B: We're clear of the hurricane zone now and safely back in FL. :blush:

Our family from Myrtle Beach has joined us and my wonderful niece, Aurora. :)

If you’re still in Onancock city docks, keep an eye out fir Bob & Dody on Manatee 36 Mango Mana. Should be rolling in there any time now.

Anchor offshore in the Atlantic and watch......

:rofl:

50499-the-perfect-storm-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg

Seriously though, stay safe everyone. Keep a straight head and runnnnnn.....

IMG_0349.jpg well sh1t.

I would not bet on "safe Florida". The bitch can keep going straight or turn. No one knows for sure. %miles from where I am is good hurricane hole ( six miles creek).

So not looking good for eastern NC as of right now.....will fully decide tomorrow how much to fully prep my vessel.
But it seems prep needs to be done by Tues eve as Wed winds begin.

A new boat to think through on how to prep.
A new marina to think through with winds. surge, not knowing if neighbors will prep adequately.

A learning and stressful time :)

Good luck to all.

Tim

So not looking good for eastern NC as of right now.....will fully decide tomorrow how much to fully prep my vessel.
But it seems prep needs to be done by Tues eve as Wed winds begin.

A new boat to think through on how to prep.
A new marina to think through with winds. surge, not knowing if neighbors will prep adequately.

A learning and stressful time :)

Good luck to all.

Tim

Current forecast for New Bern not good at all.

What marina are you in?

Personally I'm going to be in California and Ann's bolting to friends in Richmond. Even Raleigh is forecast for winds in the high 40's

Definition of insanity:
Two or more boats in the water to deal with as a hurricane approaches. :nonono:

Ted

I am in Bridgton Harbor, sort of out on the Neuse River....a new experience for me. But I like the sturdy, solid docks and solid cleats. We shall see.

I have learned to prep my best, do a little more, take pics for insurance purposes, say a little prayer, walk away and come back afterwards and see what has happened. All the worry and stress does not help me or the boat.

Tomorrow I begin prepping the boat and house.

Tim

I am in Bridgton Harbor, sort of out on the Neuse River....a new experience for me. But I like the sturdy, solid docks and solid cleats. We shall see.

I have learned to prep my best, do a little more, take pics for insurance purposes, say a little prayer, walk away and come back afterwards and see what has happened. All the worry and stress does not help me or the boat.

Tomorrow I begin prepping the boat and house.

Tim

Right now the winds are predicted to be from the ENE to NE, so that's a plus for Bridgeton. Still, you can't have too many lines or too much chafe protection. Try and keep the boat away from the dock as much as possible. Good luck!

A month ago I sheduled my annual haulout for this coming week.

Might have hit upon shear luck for once.

I don't like the thought of being on the hard as the marina is too exposed to NE winds....but makes prep easier.

Wifey B: We're going home tomorrow. About a 14-15 hour run. Our family from SC joining us. Going to just do boating in South Florida while Florence resolves but very worried about those of you on the coast in SC and NC and elsewhere along the coast.

Most recent odds based on the full ensemble of forecasts are (odds by Jeff Masters):

Landfall NC or SC 40%.
Landfall GA or Northern FL 10%
Landfall between VA and MA 20%
NE out to sea, no US landfall 30% (although could make landfall in Canada).

Good luck to all. :)

Oh boy! I'm at ground zero.

Windy and NHC predict it hitting me direct.

Passageweather has it hitting OBX.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom