Old 09-14-2018, 12:59 PM   #221
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdoc View Post
Over the last 30 years we’ve faced a dozen or more mandatory evacuation orders at our home in southern Louisiana. We use the ICW and already know most “hurricane hole” options on either side. .
LOL JDoc I didn't think there were any rec trawlers down there! I'm from Venice and left approx 30 yrs ago! Red Pass and Tiger Pass used to have dozens if not hundreds of tiny canals and they were where we'd put our non trailerable trawlers (shrimp not cruiser). They were lined with oaks and willows which were stronger than any marina pilings.
No idea what is left after decades of erosion since then though.

I got chills seeing the huge boats on top of the levee after Katrina. Knowing how low the river is in summer, it was shocking that the surge was able to put boats that size on top of the levee! And as was typical of every storm before it, there was virtually no national coverage of what happened in Plaquemines Parish.
Got a kick outta seeing the pogey boats sitting across the bottom of the Empire bridge too!

twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:10 PM   #222
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
But for average boaters it's not terribly realistic to move a hundred miles away. Especially not if your home is also in the expected path of the weather.
Just got back from checking on my trawler in Crisfield, MD. There's a 37 Great Harbor that came up from Norfolk, VA to move his boat out of the hurricane warning area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_10424-20180914_1240257885305406466966059.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	80897

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:25 PM   #223
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
It's been interesting to watch the boats at the one marina in Wilmington that has been shown where the boats have been impacted very little. Now, there was one sail boat that had a sail to open up into the wind. Had sail, as in past tense.

There was also a boat shown, I believe in Carolina Beach, and the boats were doing fine but this one had a bow full of water (only bow shown) and made me think of Hopcar's boat during Irma.

The flooding has only just begun in total. New Bern has had more than their share but so much to go elsewhere. While there are trees down and homes damaged, the fact the hurricane was down to a CAT 1 when it hit land is definitely a huge break.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:28 PM   #224

City: Newnan
The Cajun Navy is on the roll, too. This is when the U.S. is at it's best.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/cajun-navy...ry?id=57799162
Orvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:14 PM   #225
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
It's been interesting to watch the boats at the one marina in Wilmington that has been shown where the boats have been impacted very little.
What marina is that, do you know?

Boats in the background make it look like nobody even added any extra lines anywhere, at least in the shots I've noticed...

-Chris
Old 09-14-2018, 03:18 PM   #226
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Just got back from checking on my trawler in Crisfield, MD. There's a 37 Great Harbor that came up from Norfolk, VA to move his boat out of the hurricane warning area.

Attachment 80897

Ted
Yeah, and my favorite GH-37 at that. I love that paint scheme. There are probably a gross number of Krogens hiding out around there too....as they will be gathering in Solomons for the Rendezvous. I’ve seen a few outer bands pass through your area. Big storm!

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:05 PM   #227

City: Michigan
Vessel Name: TBD
Vessel Model: Willard 36 aft PH or Legacy MKii
I can readily relate to the helos being a great viewing platform! I was a crew chief on Jolly Greens in Vietnam, ask any old timers around you if they ever ran into any "Candies" ?
Old 09-14-2018, 06:15 PM   #228
Guru

City: Boston Area
I've been bounced around on a passenger jet enough to cure my atheism on a fairly clear day.....I can't imagine what its like for those crews that fly through the hurricanes !!
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:25 PM   #229
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Hurricane Florence

Watching he various channels, and it looks like lots of folks had to be rescued from New Bern due to the storm surge, rivers rising, etc. Wonder how the marinas fared there ?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:33 PM   #230
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Watching he various channels, and it looks like lots of folks had to be rescued from New Bern due to the storm surge, rivers rising, etc. Wonder how the marinas fared there ?
Watching local evening news Channel 13 WVEC here in Norfolk Va, they showed a New Bern marina with floating docks, and there was 2 foot left before the docks floated off the pilings. Big boats bobbing around and some sunk in their slips, just their tops visible moving in the water. Docks were moving up and down quite a bit too, looked like chaos. The marina looked sort of empty, so either people moved out, or those boats sunk.
Link to that video.
https://www.13newsnow.com/video/weat...ly/291-8251947
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:38 PM   #231
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Hurricane Florence

Oh damn. I think there are a few TF members with boats there? I really hate to hear that.

I was watching the New Bern Grand Marina live cam yesterday and the marina looked OK then, but I guess the power finally went out and I lost my feed.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:46 PM   #232
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Speaking of deadly storms, spare a thought for those in the northern parts of Philippines tonight. A super typhoon(Category 5) 900kl across is due to hit the country tomorrow morning.

Last time one of these hit the the northern islands thousands died.
Indeed Andy. A number of concerned Aussies have connections with Philippines.
That in no way downplays our sympathies with those exposed in the USA. May it go as well as it can, perhaps with some luck, even a little better.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:03 PM   #233
Veteran Member

City: Empire, LA
Vessel Name: Andante Mar
Vessel Model: Neptunus Yachts 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiisted71 View Post
LOL JDoc I didn't think there were any rec trawlers down there! I'm from Venice and left approx 30 yrs ago! Red Pass and Tiger Pass used to have dozens if not hundreds of tiny canals and they were where we'd put our non trailerable trawlers (shrimp not cruiser). They were lined with oaks and willows which were stronger than any marina pilings.

No idea what is left after decades of erosion since then though.

I got chills seeing the huge boats on top of the levee after Katrina. Knowing how low the river is in summer, it was shocking that the surge was able to put boats that size on top of the levee! And as was typical of every storm before it, there was virtually no national coverage of what happened in Plaquemines Parish.

Got a kick outta seeing the pogey boats sitting across the bottom of the Empire bridge too!

Not many of us, to be sure, but surely a lot of culture down here of living on the water. For Katrina we left Empire two days before Katrina’s landfall and stopped the next day at the Port of West St Mary off off the ICW. The storm a(Katrina) was nothing (maybe 35 kts) in St Mary parish but it leveled our home port of Empire. We left the day of the hurricane (Monday) and we were back in Empire Tuesday with our boat to witness and evaluate the damages. You couldn’t have done that evacuating with a car! Other people could not get to their home for weeks afterwards.
Jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:22 PM   #234
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
Watching local evening news Channel 13 WVEC here in Norfolk Va, they showed a New Bern marina with floating docks, and there was 2 foot left before the docks floated off the pilings. Big boats bobbing around and some sunk in their slips, just their tops visible moving in the water. Docks were moving up and down quite a bit too, looked like chaos. The marina looked sort of empty, so either people moved out, or those boats sunk.
Link to that video.
https://www.13newsnow.com/video/weat...ly/291-8251947
Looks like Bridgepointe Marina with New Bern Grand in background. The former is a little less protected from the relevant winds than the latter. The marina is typically full and historically few if any people leave for hurricanes.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:45 PM   #235
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
I've been bounced around on a passenger jet enough to cure my atheism on a fairly clear day.....I can't imagine what its like for those crews that fly through the hurricanes !!
A good friend of mine was a data base manager for the NOAA Hurricane Hunters.
They said he had to fly on at least one mission if he worked there. He finally gave in and agreed to go on a mission.

There happened to be a reporter on the mission as well. After a couple of high altitude penetrations the reporter asked him what he thought of the flight. He made the mistake of telling the reporter he’d had worse flights on Eastern Airlines. It got printed the next day. His wife really got him. The phone rang and she told him Frank Borman wanted to talk to him and he sounded mad. . Borman was president of Eastern at the time.

Later in the flight they made some lower penetrations and it scared the piss out of him.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:57 PM   #236
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdoc View Post
We left the day of the hurricane (Monday) and we were back in Empire Tuesday.
That big girl must be able to lift her skirt n move!

We went back a few weeks after to buy some shrimp and couldn't tell where our house used to be even though we found the parking lot for the post office that was directly across the street! It was covered over by sediment to the point you couldn't even find any foundations on our lane. It was freaky to say the least. We haven't gone back since, but apparently there is nowhere near the amount of people down there (Venice) as before the storm. I heard they even closed our school and started bussing kids up to Buras.
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:33 PM   #237

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths (is for SALE)
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
Ted,
Glad to see your photo of A.W.O.L. Again (Great Harbour 37).

Henry
Great Harbour 47 Seven Tenths (For Sale)
lying New Bern, NC
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:42 PM   #238
Veteran Member

City: Empire, LA
Vessel Name: Andante Mar
Vessel Model: Neptunus Yachts 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiisted71 View Post
That big girl must be able to lift her skirt n move!

We went back a few weeks after to buy some shrimp and couldn't tell where our house used to be even though we found the parking lot for the post office that was directly across the street! It was covered over by sediment to the point you couldn't even find any foundations on our lane. It was freaky to say the least. We haven't gone back since, but apparently there is nowhere near the amount of people down there (Venice) as before the storm. I heard they even closed our school and started bussing kids up to Buras.

I’ve also experienced much of what you described. Major Hurricanes have forever changed our (LA) coastal communities. I wonder if that will happen in other areas of the US. I hope not.
Jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:05 PM   #239
Guru

City: Boston Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Later in the flight they made some lower penetrations and it scared the piss out of him.
I believe it!!
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 04:51 AM   #240
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Switched on the Weather Channel around 5:30 and the storm isn’t much of a wind event anymore, but man does that rain keep coming! It could be a week before some of those rivers peak! When the rest of the country is tired of hearing about it, the problems could still be getting worse. For the snow birds, it’s going to be a real gauntlet of channel drift & debris trying to maneuver south. A mile or two offshore may not do it with all that river vomit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F6CEFC80-8095-44DC-84A0-83FBA75AAF3D.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	80911  

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote