Hurricane Florence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Access to many areas is going to be a problem. No way to know which or how many yet. However, I do know the road to Harkers Island is damaged badly with one lane tone through an area and the remaining lane may not be safe.

Now we find out the condition of SC dams, bridges and roads. In 2015's storm, 40 dams failed. In 2016 with Matthew, 25 dams failed. Then there are the roads where millions have been paid out to drivers due to damage caused by the roads. Finally in 2017, the state voted for a 1 cent increase in gas tax and some of that has already been used but much more work to be done.

NC roads overall are in better shape but both states have many rivers that have repeatedly flooded the surrounding areas. That's why NC has issued additional evacuation orders today. One reason some stayed in Myrtle Beach was because they feared the difficulty of getting back there more than they did staying.

NC also has concerns as far west as the mountains. The Blue Ridge Parkway was closed. It looks like the center is now headed for Columbia, SC at the rapid rate of 2 mph.

Anybody know how the aptly named Hurricane Boatyard in Bayboro, NC fared? Grace is on the hard there and I'm in Puerto Rico working my FEMA job and can't check on her for weeks. My MarCELL monitor says humidity inside is 100% and power went out three days ago.

"SV PRISM
19 hrs ·
Update: Good news for at least the boats in hurricane boatyard in Bayboro, NC. Sources on the ground say that all of the boats so far are still standing and from what it looks like none have sustained damage. We are still not out of the woods completely (hurricane season isn't over until November), but for Florence, Prism will be able to sail another day. Thank you to everyone that shared the positive thoughts towards us, others have been and will not be as lucky as us."

https://www.facebook.com/SVPRISM/

Sorry, didn't see this. Sounds encouraging.

Anybody know how the aptly named Hurricane Boatyard in Bayboro, NC fared? Grace is on the hard there and I'm in Puerto Rico working my FEMA job and can't check on her for weeks. My MarCELL monitor says humidity inside is 100% and power went out three days ago.

We heard they did very well. I want to say that someone here said it was okay. Scan up the thread and see.

Dams inland are a major concern. The first I'm aware of has had issues. It is on Lake Twitty near Monroe NC. Residents were told it was close to breaking. Don't know if it broke through or more likely they released water to prevent it from breaking through.

Someone commented on boats not tied well and that's something the marinas didn't seem to emphasize. The better marinas have policies that if boats aren't adequately tied, they can add lines and bill the owners, and many here do so. Also, one thing visible again and I've seen several times before, is how poorly sailboats fare compared to power boats. They seem to tilt over with less wind and water.

Most of the rivers aren't yet near the level they're going to crest. However it looks like overall they'll see about the same as Matthew, some a little higher and some less.

All time records already set on rainfall. NC's record was 24" and Swansboro up to 30", Morehead and Oriental over 24", and much rain still to come. Neuse rose and flooded quickly but up the river expecting to crest lower than after Matthew.

Matthew was bearing down on Fort Pierce. Absentee owner left eisenglass and canvas up, 3/4in braid, doubled up, ready in advance. Dockmates, including me, stripped it and put it in his cabin.

Across the pier, a floating roach hotel, tied up with rotted dental floss. I had moved my home to an 18ft slip directly across the fairway from this fool. We, on the dock were all over the dockmaster about this unsecured boat.

Everybody, liveaboards, dockmaster and staff are exhausted after 2 days of prep. The dockmaster and a helper shows up. I gave him 120 ft of 5/8 nylon. 2-3 hours the POS was secured. Bless them

Fast forward 8-9 months. I run across this skin sack of infected human DNA in a local watering hole. He started bitching about his poor treatment at our Marina by the staff. He did not know they were “Ruling” him to death to save the $10k of eviction expense I found out later.

After his verbal vomit, I looked at him blankly and said, “The only reason you have a boat is because I gave the dockmaster over $100 of line and he tied up your boat. My last action before leaving had they had not secured your SAILBOAT, was going to be me pitching a full flowing 3/4 water hose into your cabin hatch, thereby putting her on the bottom.”

I really wonder if he ever understood.

BTW 2 or more dozen boats would have been at risk, not to mention the Piers.. We had winds in the 100 mph range.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom