Hurricane BTBD Scale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boathealer

Guru
Vessel Name
--
Vessel Make
Between boats
We have been through Florence and Michael in New Bern at exactly this time last year, and now Dorian in Jacksonville. Thankfully the boat survived all with little to no damage. We are very grateful.

This morning, cleaning up from Dorian prep, I have commissioned a new post-hurricane severity indicator. I will call it the BTBD® (Blue Tape Ball Diameter) scale.

I would rate Dorian a "Medium" at 3.25 inches in diameter.

466455156_20190905_110006-1612x907.jpg

This, as compared to Florence in New Bern which had a width of over 6 inches - now newly classified on the BTBD® scale as "Severe".

d19c24_640d9120506d4c878fd2d22592f7021c~mv2.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah. I'm headed down to Stuart tomorrow to pull all the blue tape off of my boat, get it tied back to the dock (it's the last boat in the canal, spider webbed across with 16 lines) and get the canvas back up. Also might as well give the bimini a good scrub while it is down.

I used the green tape two years ago for whatever storm that was (Irma?) and it left a lot residue. Hopefully the blue is better this time around.

I'm not complaining though. It could have been sooo much worse.

What’s this blue tape used for? Sealing windows?

What’s this blue tape used for? Sealing windows?

Yep. Sliding windows, door cracks, keyholes, etc. ------- 100mph driven water can get in anything.

For Florence, I left my screens on for protection after taping up the windows underneath and inserting bubble wrap, then taped all around the edges of the screens. Maybe a bit of overkill, but we didn't have a single drop of water inside.

Looks good for the insurance company records -- :angel:

Attachments

• WindowScreenTape (Small).jpg
    WindowScreenTape (Small).jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 45
Ahh. Gotcha. Nice.

That is much cheaper than preservation tape, which is what I've used to seal deck hatches and cabin doors in the past.

That is much cheaper than preservation tape, which is what I've used to seal deck hatches and cabin doors in the past.

I was skeptical at first, but I've had NONE of it peel up in driving wind/rain for up to 6 days since applied (to a clean surface). Comes off very easy and clean with no residue whatsoever. I use the "Medium Adhesive" Multi-surface one -- #2094.

Due to the massive amount of preparation - triple dock lines, every fender on board deployed, 8 lines on the dinghy, and my beloved Blue Tape, Isaias was a nothing-burger. NE Florida boaters can thank me later.....:D

Registered a "low-medium" (2.75 inches) on the official, BTBD® (Blue Tape Ball Diameter) scale (commissioned during Dorian last year). Hope those further North fare just as well!

Attachments

• 20200803_104609 (Large).jpg
    20200803_104609 (Large).jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 14
Back
Top Bottom