Humorous/cute boat names

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boat Names

We've always had the same boat name. So many years ago when we sold our Trojan 10M express to come over to the trawler side, we removed the name.

We were disgusted when the new owner named it "Ribbed for Pleasure" and kept it in the same marina. The following year it was repossessed. KARMA!

Greg and Jane
Heart of Gold

There is a sailboat in Palm Coast Marina named "Here There Are Dragons."

I have a photo of it somewhere. I would love to know the back story!

In our marina, we have "Here Be Dragons". Not sure of the reference. Maybe a video game.

Boat names

Interesting topic.....
Too often boat owners use sentences as names for their boats. A friend of mine called his boat ‘Good Times Available’. That’s NOT a name and I’ve seen many such examples on numerous vessels.
I called ours ‘White Gold V’. The name came from the colours of our hair, mine being white, my wife’s blonde. It was easy and clearly understood over the VHF and the name stayed with us on numerous vessels for over 40 years.
Unfortunately, It also came with some misunderstandings I knew nothing about. For example I didn’t know that to some it meant COCAINE. In another instance an individual said it was offensive because he felt it was a reference to slavery. I don’t do drugs and sincerely apologize to anyone who’s insulted by the totally unintentional ‘slavery’ interpretation.
I think boat naming needs to be (1) clearly understood over the VHF, (2) simple, (3) short and (4) inoffensive.
For me, it’s really that simple!

We named our boat "UBQ" ( in Latin, "anytime-anyplace"). We thought it fit, but after many "UB WHO" on the radio! We changed it to "Ship Faced"' it fits!

As to the OP, you can name a boat anything you want "when YOU own it"!:D

Ok, I've got to get in on this. My first boat was named Wineaux with the images of martini glasses and bubble after. We changed it to Java Jive based on a Manhattan Transfer cover of a very old song. The problem with Java Jive was, over the radio, it became Java Five. My next boat was named AfterburnII. I asked the PO if he was a fighter pilot. He said his first boat burned to the waterline. This was his third boat. We renamed it with a combination of my then wife's name and our first boat: JoJava. Our current boat is Aquarius and while I would not have chosen it, it's ok. Across from me is What The Hull. Not big on that one.

some names

A guy near here had a big powerboat named "The Titanic".....he had an inflatable named "The Hindenberg".

There is a sailboat near here named "Wind Passer".

and of course the fishing boat named "The Master Baiter"

Our current sailboat is simply named "Chill"

I have a neighbor on my dock who is in the coin laundry business. His old boat was named Loose Change and his current boat is named Captain's Quarters.

Years go I had a sailboat named Balancing Act. At that time I was working as a CPA and my astrological sign is Libra.

My current boat name, Happy Hagar (after the cartoon character Hagar the Horrible) was the result of a misunderstanding. At the time we named the boat we thought the builder had used a hull mold from Viking. It turned out we were wrong about the hull mold but Hagar still has the heart of a Viking - two Volvo diesels.

Couldn’t pronounce

When we bought our 38ft one off trawler it was named “ Anemone “. VHF calls to Harbor masters and other boats often met with a period of silence as they tried to figure out either what was said or if understood, how to pronounce the name of the boat. Once while out with a friend he had the radio mic and called us in as the “Enema”. Although the boat has truly been a “wallet enema”, I knew it was time to change the name. Besides, Anemones stick to rocks on the bottom; something we truly hope to avoid. The boat is now named, “FinLander” in reference to my wife’s heritage and in hopes of fishing success.

"Here there be dragons" was what the pre new world maps said about the ends of the ocean/earth. I would suppose it means the boat will go to the ends of the earth. Safety. ?

"Hells Bells"

Back when... 1950's / 60's - Freeport LI, NY area

There was an older, retired and expertly refurbished, double ender CG emergency vessel that cruised the chanels. I believe it was one of the 1258 USCG 36" Motor Lifeboat.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/1258-USC...MIwqTYl8626QIVSb7ACh1OlQkWEAsYASABEgIyJ_D_BwE

CG used this craft for rescues going into hazardous close to shore wave conditions. As I recall, those boats were self righting?? They sure were cool looking cruising along!

Well... as you all may recall; in those days, when we were in a boat that hit rough water where waves would make the ship's bell "ring" - we'd call that "Hells Bells". That was the perfect name for that ol' CG boat.

I used to love seeing "Hells Bells" while out on the local waters!

Many years ago I wanted to name our sailboat "Breakwind". Wife wouldn't let me. In retrospect that was a good thing. I think about that every time I hail a bridge or marina. In an attempt to be original we named her "Sea Fever" after the poem only to discover in our travels that we weren't very original. Our current boat was named "Southern Cross" by the PO and we kept it since we live in the south. (I know, the constellation is in the southern hemisphere). It's better than "Uranus" (which would have been a good name for the tender to Breakwind)

I heard a story, supposedly true, that a well known racing sailboat was named "Fujimo". The divorcee owner said is stood for "F#$% You Jane, I'm Moving Out".

I wish i knew. Its probably the same group that names their kid with something that will haunt them their entire lives.

The one boat name in my marina that never ends to make a silliness point is called " What Boat". Trying calling that boat on your VHF

My CHB 34 is the Trollop. A trollop is a woman who will do anything to get your money. Most boats resemble that goal, but we still keep coming back for more.

When we purchased our AT 34 she was" Mostly Harmless", now she's "Salish Nomad".
We have in our local harbour another AT 34 "Could Be Worse."

I once saw a photo of a powerboat "THE CONTRACT" and the tender was "CHANGE ORDER".
My first boat was named after my grandfather. My second boat was named RUFFINIT. My current boat is INCHCLIFFE CASTLE after the tramp steamer in the Guy Gilpatric stories in the Saturday Evening Post.

Best name

Especially in our age group

“Missing Elderly”

The worst that I saw was a boat named "Hoof Hearted" and if you say it a few times you will understand.

; said:
I once saw a photo of a powerboat "THE CONTRACT" and the tender was "CHANGE ORDER".
180 degrees out, tender is Original Contract, big boat is Change Order

Last edited:
When will the first boat be christened “Social Distance”?

When will the first boat be christened “Social Distance”?

Just as soon as things open up enough for peeps to have access to their stern for vinyl letter application.. My prediction is we will be sick of that boat name in a few months..Every marina will have 3 boats with that name... Kind of like windsong, Aquaholic. Breaking Wind,Carpe Diem,Serenity,Perseverance. Sieze the ------, Aqua-therapy and many others..

"Morning Wood" was the worst boat name we ever ran across, in Isthmus Harbor on Catalina Island. The owner was very proud of it and even asked others over VHF if the "got it" !
-Sven

The correct comeback would have been "Yes, I got it, but you must have had the boat for some time, and given your advanced age, perhaps you should change the name to "Mourning Wood!"":D

The correct comeback would have been "Yes, I got it, but you must have had the boat for some time, and given your advanced age, perhaps you should change the name to "Mourning Wood!"":D

How bout:

Morning Would - If I Could!

:lol:

This could be a fun post. Here's my contribution: PAT SAS, BREAKING WIND, WET DREAM, SUM DICK (partners Sumner and Dick). None very funny

Great name. Reminds me of the old definition of a boat ie a hole in the water you throw money into ��

Back
Top Bottom