Attached Thumbnails
KingstonBoat.jpg  
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 03:20 PM   #42
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Does anyone regret the name they gave their boat? I still shake my head over my friend who named his boat Quintessa. Sure, I get it - nice boat that's the cats meow for him. But he has an air draft of 28-feet and lives on the ICW so hails his share of bridge tenders - "How do you spell that cap'n?..........Was that an 'D' or a 'T'?......Wait, it starts with a 'Q'?.......Can you spell that again?....Heck with it - you just missed the opening. Come back in an hour, after my shift."

Prior suggestion to go with a woman's name is good - preferably a beloved/deceased relative to avoid any issues after a divorce.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 11:51 AM   #43
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
My old Phoenix had a name that I could not wait to use the Easy Off Oven Cleaner. "Mental D Fish & Sea".
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 04:32 PM   #44
Veteran Member

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Poseidon
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 MK1
Humorous/cute boat names

Some boat names you “hear”!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6287.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	102409
PamLeatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 06:02 PM   #45
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
My first boat was the "Viable Alternative"
Second boat was the "Better Alternative"
Third boat is the "Best Alternative"

The next boat may be the "Another Alternative" or the "Next Alternative"

My Dinghy has always been the "Alternate Alternative"

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 06:52 PM   #46
Guru

City: Looking
Vessel Name: --
Vessel Model: Between boats
My all time favorite seen in NC - "Never Again II "
m/v SCOUT Projects Page
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:06 PM   #47

City: Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Name: Pipe Dream
Vessel Model: Silverton 42C
Our sport fish came with the name “Skirt Chaser” which we just never got around to changing until it finally grew on us. The center console we bought to tow behind as a day boat? “Mini Skirt” of course.
PPandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:18 PM   #48
Veteran Member

City: Howell
Vessel Name: Hoosier Daddy
Vessel Model: 38 Marine Trader Sundeck
My boat is named Hoosier Daddy because I am originally from Indiana, People always stop and ask which one of us is a Hoosier.
Mark Myns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 08:46 PM   #49
Veteran Member

City: Brentwood Bay BC
Vessel Name: Bonita Rose
Vessel Model: 1981 Bayliner 3270
Best name I've seen was on the back of a beautiful 80 foot sailboat. In big letters across the transom it said "DON'T PANIC!"

But it was written upside down.
BrentwoodBayliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 09:14 PM   #50
Guru

City: Puget Sound
Back when I was much younger, and Echo Bay in the Broughtons was more of a fishing destination then cruising. A bunch of us were on the dock and a 50 ft or so a SV pulls in.
Across the transom in very large letters was PUSI just below that in some what smaller letters was llanimous (pusillanimous was the boats name) Sure enough 1 guy gets off with a crew of 6 or more great looking women... At that point I thought there was much more to sailing then I thought
Old 05-09-2020, 09:30 PM   #51
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
My dad's four boats were always named Spitfire. He flew Spits performing photo reconnaissance for RCAF in WWII

With our Tollycraft named "The Office"... we named our tow behind tender "The Watercooler"

Although, because of items, we do often refer to the tender as "Mini Me" LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Downsize Crestliner 100_0441.JPG  
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 01:18 AM   #52

City: Sammamish
Vessel Name: Knot Home
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788 - 1998
Well we fell into the knot name bin.

For many reasons “Knot Home” fits our use of the boat. Three previous boats were “Osprey” and that’s when there was pretty good almost year around salmon fishing in the PAC NW. Now that we’re retired, if we’re not on dirt we’re ...
MMSI 368040370
Beaverlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:45 AM   #53
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Dear "TF Mod Squad" - Please see if you can clear up why I'm not getting email notices from threads in which I participate. Have checked my junk mail etc... no luck! I have not received email alerts for days now. When I open up TF and go to a thread I'd posted in there will be from one to several posts put in that thread since I posted... however, no email alert came to me.

Thanks!

Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:49 AM   #54
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Dear "TF Mod Squad" - Please see if you can clear up why I'm not getting email notices from threads in which I participate. Have checked my junk mail etc... no luck! I have not received email alerts for days now. When I open up TF and go to a thread I'd posted in there will be from one to several posts put in that thread since I posted... however, no email alert came to me.

Thanks!

Art
Art, I think you have to actually subscribe to a thread (Thread Tools), not just post in it.

You can also go to User CP and then Edit Options and set subscribe to all threads on which you post
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:39 AM   #55
Veteran Member

City: Dammam
Were we to win the lottery and buy a boat, my wife and I decided we wanted a Christian name that would not scare off the civilians. Given that, the best possible name is M/Y Living Light.
Paul in Saudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:29 AM   #56
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDofMSP View Post
We chose our boat name to match both our personalities AND the boat. We decided early on that if we got a more classic boat with style and class, we'd name her with a combination of our grandmother's names. If we got a mass production boat (which we did) we'd name her something less formal yet more personally relevant.

Hence Gopher Broke. Because we're Minnesotans (Gophers) in Wisconsin, and clearly now broke.

I don't really think it's demeaning. But it's not a boat that calls for something more formal.
If you did choose a more classic yacht, dripping with teak and brass, then your option could be "Gopher Baroque."
Old 05-10-2020, 01:01 PM   #57
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotCharlie View Post
My wife and I sing in our church's choir (not right now of course). When we bought our trawler we were searching for a name, and one Wed night at choir practice our director was telling us to sing a bit slower - she said 'don't you see that adagio - it means 'slow movement''. As we were leaving choir practice my wife and I looked at each other - that's it - Adagio it is. I know a few other boats are named that, but it is personal to us.
Like wise, a quote from a party discribing a friends boat which is a mate to our 27 foot Marben, as "Incredable slow". Yes, as a displacement hull of short measurement, and powered effeciently to match, they are a 6 knot, push for 7 craft, hence, we chose "Slo~Belle" (Slow Girl). She serves us well!
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 01:42 PM   #58
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I built a very strange boat in the 70’s that was kind of a trimaran and Kind of a catamaran. I did it to utilize the hull shape as a big part of reason it could be built very light in plywood. At that time I very much admired the deep V descendants of Moppie. Moppie was the first deep V designed by Ray Hunt and it won the 500 mi ocean powerboat race to the Bahamas. But the Deep V hull required a Lot of power and consumed a lot of fuel.
So I set out to build a boat that would be smooth riding w lots of deadrise and require only a fraction of the power of most all planing boats.

I named her the Easy Rider and she was very successful at that however all the advantages were of little value as when you filled her w all the stuff one usually puts in boats she lost all of her good qualities. But as a one man’s boat running real light she was wonderful.

The picture shows her near Juneau where she was built. She always ran as level as shown here. Power was a 55hp 3cyl OB. Made 15 cruise light and 11 knots heavy w full fuel.
The dwg is a rough sketch of her lines but as you can see in the picture she was much more pointy fwd than the drawing shows.
A small duck could swim around all three "hulls" and that sorta indicated she was a tri but anyone viewing her underway would think of her as one of the sled-like nono hulls of the 60's. Cathedral hulls as they were called.
Attached Thumbnails
STH71821.JPG   STH71818.jpg  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 03:07 PM   #59
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
Couldn't agree more!
The PO matched the name!
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 04:53 PM   #60
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
mvweebles wrote;
“Does anyone regret the name they gave their boat?”

I did. I meant to express “small trawler” and named my first trawler “Trawlerette”.

It had a female tinge to it I didn’t like.
It was bothersome to put the long name on all those transient slip forms. Almost nobody understood it the way I men’t it. I didn’t like it and nobody else did. It taught me a lesson that I was susceptible to people not liking my stuff. I previously thought I was above that.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote